Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LuJohnson
Paper Tape
Views: 2,749
Message 1 of 5

No STEREO speakers????? Seriously?

I was ready to buy 3 of the new G4 units.. but thankfully, happened to notice only ONE front facing speaker. 

Are you going to tell me that some cubicle Einstein thought that this was actually an IMPROVEMENT over the successes of the earlier G series? 

Please explain the logic to us. Thanks. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 2,692
Message 2 of 5

Re: No STEREO speakers????? Seriously?

Many people insist on stereo speakers on a phone.  Others say you can't ever take advantage of stereo sound on a phone because the speakers are too close together due to the size of the device.

To achieve stereo sound, the speakers need to be about as far apart from each other as you are from the speakers.  The size of the phone, any phone, makes this impossible, because both ears will hear exactly the same thing at the same time.

So, for me, as long as the sound is clean and clear, I can ask no more from a device that can't possibly provide directional sound from speakers that are only a couple of inches apart.  

That's just my opinion, of course.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 2,681
Message 3 of 5

It's possible to get pretty good sound out of a mobile device, though I'm not sure if stereo separation is really there. To do it well costs more. The Moto G4 phones are single-speaker and are a great value with many superior features, like the camera. 

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
LuJohnson
Paper Tape
Views: 2,664
Message 4 of 5

You said: "To achieve stereo sound, the speakers need to be about as far apart from each other as you are from the speakers.  The size of the phone, any phone, makes this impossible, because both ears will hear exactly the same thing at the same time."

Your understanding of stereo acoustics is almost 0.  ..( respectfullly.) 

The 3D aural soundscape is VERY READILY AUDIBLE and NOTICEABLE when a movie or stereo music is played from a smartphone with only inches separating the speakers. This is because there are 2 CHANNELS of separate and distinct audio there, which, when played, will reproduce a 3D stereophonic soundscape. It's VERY noticeable and MUCH BETTER than summed monaural. This is why STEREO receivers, turntables and etc. became the norm beginning back in the late 60s and going forward. 

Please, I appreciate that you took the time to respond to my post... but I asked a specific question in my OP. I'd like to let my query ride until I get an answer, and not opinionating that I don't really NEED 2 speakers on my phone. I'll always buy a phone with 2 speakers because it absolutely matters... it matters because our music and our movies have at least 2 separate channels of audio information. Sheesh! Come on!!! 

We are in the 21st Century, it's not good old HI-FI Monaural 1962 anymore! lol!!

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 2,661
Message 5 of 5

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Let's be civil, please. 

I think I answered the question as well as we can. A value phone like Moto G4 is not going to have every feature that every owner may want. In this case, the decision was made to focus on other areas of the mobile experience. 

Speaking just for myself, I almost never use the speakers on the phone for extended periods. I use a headset unless I'm sharing something (a song or video) with someone. But I know not everyone is like me.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!