Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beaugart
Paper Tape
Views: 651
Message 1 of 9

No Sound on G4

Hi,

I hope someone is able to help me. I have a Moto G4 with Android 7.0. Since yesterday it is completely silent, there is no sound at all. Music, Youtube, incoming calls, hearing someone who calls, there is no sound. If I use headphones there is sound.

Whilst trying this and that I had one situation where the sound came back, but I could not reproduce this result. But it shows that the speaker is not broken.

Does anyone know how I can fix the problem?

Tobias

FrogFan
Punch Card
Views: 619
Message 2 of 9

Re: No Sound on G4

There are several threads on this forum on the topic of g4 without audio and, as far as I can tell from reading through many posts yesterday, there are no satisfactory solutions.

My g4 has this problem.  I've tried booting into safe mode and factory resetting the phone.  Neither worked.  When I boot my phone, the "Hello Moto" animation doesn't show and the associated audio doesn't either.  If, after booting, I try to run any application that requires audio, I get strange errors.  If I try to connect to my car's bluetooth, it gives me a strange error that I've never seen before.  The phone, in this state, is completely unusable.  I've had it for less than two years.

Some of the posts here suggest a hardware problem involving a loose connection to the phone's speaker.  Some have suggested tapping on the back of the phone near the speaker to "fix" the loose connection.  I did that today.  I took the back off my phone and rapped it several times around the speaker with my index finger.  Then I replaced the back and powered up the phone.  It worked!

I'm not sure how long it will continue to work before it loses its connection again, but, to me, this "fix" confirms a hardware problem.  My phone quit working about two weeks ago and I didn't have time to try to figure out what was wrong with the g4, so I bought another phone.  If there is an affordable real fix to this problem, I might consider doing it and keep the phone as a spare.  I had almost decide to give it to my granddaughter as a toy.

Beaugart
Paper Tape
Views: 574
Message 3 of 9

Yes, there are a lot of post about this issue, without any satisfiing solution.

Just in case anyone reads this: I took all the steps recommended here:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G4-Moto-G4-Plus-Moto-G4/Moto-G4-Speaker-sounds-stop-working/td-p/4...

And it is still not working at all.

The Help Desk App just says the test failed.

I really hope there is a solution beside "buy a new phone"

FrogFan
Punch Card
Views: 565
Message 4 of 9

Well, as I said, my solution was to buy a new phone, but to wait a bit before calling it a toy for my granddaughter to see if anyone can figure out how to fix it.

After I rapped it with my index finger a couple days ago, I turned the phone off.  Then just yesterday I decided to power it up again and got no sound but the Hello Moto animation video was playing.  While it was playing, I rapped the phone on the back and the sound came back.

It sure seems like something is "loose" somewhere, but over on another forum, some folks have tried taking the phone apart to look for loose wires and couldn't find any.  I don't know enough about these things to know why rapping the phone would bring the sound back, but it sure would be nice if Moto could tell us.  Surely, they know what's wrong.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 503
Message 5 of 9

Hi All,

Sorry about the ongoing issue that you have been facing. If you have already tried the following troubleshooting steps such as --safe mode, wipe cache partition, factory data reset without restoring any apps and tested in device help app. Then the next logical option would be to submit your device for service/repair.

Thanks,

Swaraj

Moto Support

FrogFan
Punch Card
Views: 499
Message 6 of 9

My device is out of warranty.  What will it cost to submit it for repair?  How do I submit the device?  Is there any link anywhere telling me how to do that?

Apologies for my ignorance.

Thank you.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 496
Message 7 of 9

@FrogFan wrote:

My device is out of warranty.  What will it cost to submit it for repair?  How do I submit the device?  Is there any link anywhere telling me how to do that?

Apologies for my ignorance.

Thank you.

Hi FrogFan,

Thank you for replying, I am not certain about the costing--but you can certainly find more information on the website --on how to request for a repair. You can also dial this "800-734-5870" number for assistance.

• You might have to log in with your 'Motorola ID or Gmail account' on the website for further assistance.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

asmuni_ag
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 287
Message 8 of 9

Thanks, @FrogFan! I initially scoffed at your suggestion to give it some tappings. To my astonishment, the tapping worked for me! Definitely hardware issue. Just to note others: I gave some firm taps directly on the upper rear area avoiding the camera lens without taking off the back cover and a thick phone case while playing some videos - reason for playing videos because to give you the idea to stop tapping when the sound comes back.

SGH2
What's DOS?
Views: 80
Message 9 of 9

Tapping the phone seemed to work for me.  I took the protective cover off and banged it gently against my desk a few times.  Played a video and wow! the sound came out! Amazing, although I have lost confidence in my phone though.  

Top Kudoed Authors