Message 11 of 2,415

Re: Nougat update news for ALL G4

It Came by it's own and I'm Calm
Pank_khatana
Paper Tape
Views: 4,299
Message 12 of 2,415

Thats a problem with your forum, Tell me one bad thing that fits there !
Pank_khatana
Paper Tape
Views: 4,289
Message 13 of 2,415

But Thats not right, Whatever please make the update quick
D8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,250
Message 14 of 2,415

@SnoopDoge wrote:

tell me, would you rather receive an unfinished, bugs infested, glitchy update NOW, or maybe wait an extra month and get a polished clean bugless update?

I was in the WIndows Insider program for the phone.

Yeah, you really want an OS with as many bugs worked out as possable.

I liked Win10 phone but when a roll out killed texting and I had to reinstall 8.1 then jump through hoops to get Bluejean back I was done.

So yeah, I can wait.

If it weren't for the Nokia getting ran over in a parking lot ,,, and it still works. But you know how it goes, any excuse. Smiley Wink

x-15a2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,245
Message 15 of 2,415

@SnoopDoge wrote:

tell me, would you rather receive an unfinished, bugs infested, glitchy update NOW, or maybe wait an extra month and get a polished clean bugless update? 

You make it seems that those are the only two options, but they are not. Another option would be to have a polished, clean, bug-free (will never happen) update

@SnoopDoge wrote:

patience is a virtue...

Yes, patience is a (1) virtue. So are Industry (hard work), Honesty, Reliability and Accountability, all of which the developers should exercise instead of depending on their customers to show the virtue of patience. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 4,190
Message 16 of 2,415

@x-15a2 wrote:

@SnoopDoge wrote:

You make it seems that those are the only two options, but they are not. Another option would be to have a polished, clean, bug-free (will never happen) update

@SnoopDoge wrote:

patience is a virtue...

Yes, patience is a (1) virtue. So are Industry (hard work), Honesty, Reliability and Accountability, all of which the developers should exercise instead of depending on their customers to show the virtue of patience. 

So you are saying the Motorola developers are not honest, hard working, reliable or accountable?

What do you base this on? 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
gpioneer
SCSI Port
Views: 4,151
Message 17 of 2,415

@AlphaDog wrote:

So you are saying the Motorola developers are not honest, hard working, reliable or accountable?

I would guess based on the following:

- A number of other manufacturers have already released the update and their visual mods are more in depth, where as the G4 is extremely close to stock Android and the hardware is not unique.

- Contradicting claims (most recently I am aware of is that Moto Germany's twitter claimed it will come to German G4's on December 25th, only to back off that statement and claim January/February.

- No one giving us updates. You guys keep saying no one knows, well guess what, the people who are working on it know, and they should be communicating updates to somebody, who should then keep customers up to date.

I bought this phone after finding out Motorola said Nougat will come out Q4 of 2016, but now the mods here are just using that as an excuse to say "well, as long as at least ONE Moto Z got the update in Q4, we 'technically' kept our word". Had I known it would have taken longer I know I would have reconsidered. 

But really it comes down to many other companies released the update to more complex phones, whereas here we get the silent treatment and it's all top secret information from the engineering team. I would at least open the beta program to all those interested like Samsung and OnePlus are doing. It's up to the owners to accept the risks of unstable firmware if they wish, and the company gains more testers, to find bugs quicker and more reliably. Instead it's like a lotory here with MFN.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 4,137
Message 18 of 2,415

@gpioneer wrote:

@AlphaDog wrote:

I would guess based on the following:

- A number of other manufacturers have already released the update and their visual mods are more in depth, where as the G4 is extremely close to stock Android and the hardware is not unique.

- Contradicting claims (most recently I am aware of is that Moto Germany's twitter claimed it will come to German G4's on December 25th, only to back off that statement and claim January/February.

- No one giving us updates. You guys keep saying no one knows, well guess what, the people who are working on it know, and they should be communicating updates to somebody, who should then keep customers up to date.

I bought this phone after finding out Motorola said Nougat will come out Q4 of 2016, but now the mods here are just using that as an excuse to say "well, as long as at least ONE Moto Z got the update in Q4, we 'technically' kept our word". Had I known it would have taken longer I know I would have reconsidered. 

But really it comes down to many other companies released the update to more complex phones, whereas here we get the silent treatment and it's all top secret information from the engineering team. I would at least open the beta program to all those interested like Samsung and OnePlus are doing. It's up to the owners to accept the risks of unstable firmware if they wish, and the company gains more testers, to find bugs quicker and more reliably. Instead it's like a lotory here with MFN.

So your gripe is not with the developers but management. 

But mnay of your assumptions are incorrect. 

- who are the number of manufactureresmthat have released N? Dont count beta programs. LG lauched the v20 with it, and Pixel and Nexus have updated - many reported problems too. 

- there is no such thing as stock hardware. Nexus and pixel is as close as it gets as android is built for those first. Then all the oems tweak the drivers. Phones are not like windows or linux where the os ships with 10,000 drivers. The motherboard on an android phone is laid out by oem electrical engineers, every brand is more different then alike. 

- If you want visual customization, go with another vendor or get another launcher

- if you bought the phone based on a future vague software release date, not a good reason to buy any product.  

- the more testers argument was made many times before. It would become unwieldy. But generally users that provide a positive helpful impact to others do get selected for MFN - others may be a lottery.  But there may not even be testing in your region yet. 

- where is samsung or oneplus release date? 

- if you read more into Moto statement then what was written, that is your fault. They said software would roll out in 4th quarter and it did.  neither motorola or samsung or others with regional variants ever pushes it all at once. One region or model at a time is SOP. 

- neither you or i live in germany, and neither is moto headqurtered there. I fail to see the relevance of their post, and if they erred and admitted it, then it sounds like you have your date. 

- your post is a good  example why dates are not given.  It is obvious that some software was pushed and it is being held up. Likely conclusions are some bugs. Imagine if a firm date was given and missed. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
gpioneer
SCSI Port
Views: 4,127
Message 19 of 2,415

Just to be clear, I'm not the person you replied to originally, I'm just now joining in.

Not here to argue or cause trouble, just voicing my opinion. I know you are not involved in any way in the release. I'm blaming Lenovo as a corporation.

I realize you buy a product the way it is, but things like that (i.e timely updates) is part of what attracts consumers to one brand vs another, which is what Motorola used to be known for.

It's not the end of the world no, I'm just bored at home right now and looking forward to the update. Just would have been nice to have it earlier than later and just saying a little more communication from Lenovo as far as updates would be appreciated by many.

Sonic1967
SCSI Port
Views: 4,083
Message 20 of 2,415

After you get the update you will cry for the next one. This is compulsive-obsessive behavior, that's all. Wanting the next shiny toy.

A "new" software is not needed as long as the existing one does everything is asked of.

Top Kudoed Authors