Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
NYLefty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,294
Message 1 of 12

Recognizing Moto G4 in Windows 10

Windows 10 on my desktop computer does not recognize my Moto G4 when I attach the phone to the computer via USB.  In the past I've been able to transfer music from Windows media to other Android devices since Windows 10 recognized the devices....but it can't "see" the Moto G4.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 6,267
Message 2 of 12

Re: Recognizing Moto G4 in Windows 10

does the phone charge when you connect to USB? I don't have a windows 10 PC handy at the moment to try with my MXPE. But what I did personally was upload all of the music on my home PC to play music. You can upload something like 20,000 songs to your play music library for free. From there you can download them to any Google device (I only do it on WiFi) or just stream the songs without downloading

*the search bar is your friend*
-This is a peer to peer support forum, MOTOXPRTs are volunteers, not Motorola employees
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 6,264
Message 3 of 12

When you hook the phone up (and this happens every time you hook it up), it connects in charge only mode for security reasons.  If you swipe down your notification bar, you'll see a notification that the phone is in charge only mode and from there you can change it to MTP or PTP mode.  In either of those two modes, the computer will be able to recognize the device and files will be visible.

NYLefty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,252
Message 4 of 12

That worked. Thanks.
RevLauren
Bit Torrent
Views: 6,235
Message 5 of 12

My challenge with Windows 10 was getting it to STOP being so helpful. As soon as I plugged in the phone, it asked what I wanted to do, offering several options, which is normal. And I made the mistake of clicking on transfer files. It then launched the Windows 10 Phone Companion to 'assist' me with various possible tasks and wouldn't let me out of it. 

Phone Companion recognized the make and model of the phone. It also noted the total charge, and gave a good glance on the status of storage. Microsoft suggests you download apps like OneDrive, OneNote, Skype, and Outlook--no surprise there. There is also a link to File Explorer, if you want to go digging around the user-accessible file structure of your phone. Of course there is already a handy File Explorer link in the Windows 10 toolbar. Interestingly, the "Import photos and videos" link opened up the Windows 10 Photos app, but it didn't manage to automatically find the DCIM folder.

sushiuk
Paper Tape
Views: 6,145
Message 6 of 12

This doesn't work for me.

I can see the phone is charging but there are no notifications.

I've also tried changing the USB mode in developer options (which I had to do on my previous G2) but that doesn't work either!

AllenC48
What's DOS?
Views: 5,051
Message 7 of 12

Toggle the USB port from "Charge only" to "File transfer" on "Notification icon" (on top right corner"). Win 10 File Explorer shoud work. USB cable must be 5 pin data cable, not 2 pin power cable. Plug into motherboard USB port instead of hub, ROM requires high power like external drive.

LeatherBikerG
Paper Tape
Views: 2,489
Message 8 of 12

and when music will not upload to google play from my windows 10 PC what then?
LeatherBikerG
Paper Tape
Views: 2,489
Message 9 of 12

My phone does not even give me the  option of charging over USB.

harls
Paper Tape
Views: 624
Message 10 of 12

Windows 10 PC cannot recognize Moto G4 Plus phone connected via USB.

Top Kudoed Authors