cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
ceciliacpb
Fanfold Paper
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-03-2016
Location: BR
Views: 109,632
Message 1 of 42

Screen won't turn on during phone call

Ever since I bought the Moto G4 plus two weeks ago my phone screen won't light up during a call. The screen goes black and unresponsive even when I move the smartphone away from my ear. The only way to get the screen back is if the phone call is terminated by the other caller. There's no way to dial into an automated system cause I can't see the keypad and I always end up leaving a message in everyones voice mail cause I can't hang up the phone call.

 

I always try to press the power button to see if it would turn on and it does nothing until after the call is over. I'm not using any case or screen protector. Is it an issue with the proximity sensor? Would anybody be able to help me with this?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 27,879
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 109,554
Message 2 of 42

Re: Screen won't turn on during phone call

Test in safe mode and see if the problem persists:

 

To reboot into safe mode, tap the power button until you see power off on screen. Then tap and hold power off (on screen) and a new menu will appear to reboot into safe mode.


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Posts: 16,850
Registered: ‎02-03-2016
Location: US
Views: 109,025
Message 3 of 42

Re: Screen won't turn on during phone call


@ceciliacpb wrote:

Ever since I bought the Moto G4 plus two weeks ago my phone screen won't light up during a call. The screen goes black and unresponsive even when I move the smartphone away from my ear. The only way to get the screen back is if the phone call is terminated by the other caller. There's no way to dial into an automated system cause I can't see the keypad and I always end up leaving a message in everyones voice mail cause I can't hang up the phone call.

 

I always try to press the power button to see if it would turn on and it does nothing until after the call is over. I'm not using any case or screen protector. Is it an issue with the proximity sensor? Would anybody be able to help me with this?


You checked most of the easy stuff. Can you dial a call and put the phone down on a table, and then just hold your hand over the prox sensor (upper left side of the screen when you are facing it) to see if it goes off and on that way? (Phone can't be on speaker mode, etc.)

 

You can also download an app, like "Proximity Sensor Finder" to test your sensor. 

 

The other thing I would try is testing in Safe Mode to see if this is an app issue. To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up.

 

There is at least some chance yours is faulty and needs to be repaired, but I doubt it.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
ceciliacpb
Fanfold Paper
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-03-2016
Location: BR
Views: 109,007
Message 4 of 42

Re: Screen won't turn on during phone call

Alphadog and Matt, thanks for your reply. It worked just fine when in safe mode, so I uninstalalled some apps and voilà! Problem solved!

 

thanks for your help!

JD_Jcb
Core Memory
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎07-13-2016
Location: US
Views: 108,881
Message 5 of 42

Re: Screen won't turn on during phone call

Do you know which app was causing this problem - 

 

I am also experiencing the screen black out / wont stay lit as well as speaker phone volume issues -  

 

I tested it in safe mode like suggested and it works fine... so It has to be one of my apps.

 

Matt - would you mind looking at my phone and see what you would suggest?

Nitisharnold
What's DOS?
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-31-2016
Location: IN
Views: 108,718
Message 6 of 42

Re: Screen won't turn on during phone call

Same problem with my device moto g4 plus 

hardikdave26690
Paper Tape
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎08-18-2015
Location: Gandhinagar
Views: 108,300
Message 7 of 42

Re: Screen won't turn on during phone call


@AlphaDog wrote:

Test in safe mode and see if the problem persists:

 

To reboot into safe mode, tap the power button until you see power off on screen. Then tap and hold power off (on screen) and a new menu will appear to reboot into safe mode.


Hi,

I tried in safe mode also. In safe mode also it is giving me same issue. Can you please help on this?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 27,879
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 108,280
Message 8 of 42

Re: Screen won't turn on during phone call


@hardikdave26690 wrote:

@AlphaDog wrote:

Test in safe mode and see if the problem persists:

 

To reboot into safe mode, tap the power button until you see power off on screen. Then tap and hold power off (on screen) and a new menu will appear to reboot into safe mode.


Hi,

I tried in safe mode also. In safe mode also it is giving me same issue. Can you please help on this?


Do you have a case or screen protector? Did you try the testing methods or apps matt suggested above?


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Sixmile
Paper Tape
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎09-14-2016
Location: GB
Views: 107,012
Message 9 of 42

Re: Screen won't turn on during phone call

Good luck trying it in safe mode.  I go into safe mode and the ghost touches go mad.  For the record I have no charger plugged in.

 

Trying to work this phone is a severe waste of time and a serious source of frustration.

sumitthakur1
Paper Tape
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎09-19-2016
Location: IN
Views: 106,661
Message 10 of 42

Re: Screen won't turn on during phone call

i also hv same issue.
Top Kudoed Authors