Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 4 (365 Views)

Solved:G4 Plus (maybe an audio related issue) - Unexpected turn off even in safe mode+Erratic charge

[ Edited ]

Hello there!

I've been trying to cope with and fix these issues for the past two months, it's become bad enough for me to switch my primary phone to a trusty old nokia than miss important calls and events. I'll get right down to it now. 

DIY's tried:

>Safe Mode behaves the same,

>Hard reset the device after taking a backup - and updated youtube/Play services and the first video i played caused the phone to die. 

>Removing Sim and sd card.

>Trying different chargers(Slower than the turbo charger). 

The issue started before the update to Nougat, on Marshmallow; when playing videos on Youtube, the phone speaker makes an audible click sound and then the phone immediately dies(no shutdown). It remains off until I turn on the phone myself. This immediate shut down happens in multiple apps which attempt to utilize the speaker, including games, music player, or even when my phone rings. Previously this only used to happen when the phone is below say 50-60%, this has progressively gotten worse and now it does this even from 70-80%. This only happens when the device plays through the speaker. When turning on, at the end of the boot video, before the lock screen shows up it turns off when the boot sequence is supposed to be loud. The phone behaves perfectly well when it's plugged into the charger, except it takes forever to charge and warms up. The device is warm when I wake up.  

When I turn on the phone after this, the phone shows a drastic drop in battery levels; Also when I plug the device to a charger(even a non-quick charge charger from my moto G3, the device goes quite quickly reaches a level 10% below the charge that it turned off at.(See attached screenshot). 

Two days back it died and on restarting the phone it was at 2%, it remained at 2% for the next 40 mins, with a podcast playing through earphones, which unless the battery reporting is false, is totally unexpected. 

On using tools that analyse sensors etc, the battery health is shown to be good, but the charging status is: Unknown. 

I'm considering flashing the device, but since this issue is present in safe mode as well as during the boot sequence, I believe this might be hardware related. Please advise if this is a known issue and if there's a way to fix it via a software fix. 

Topics: 40
Kudos: 2,781
Solutions: 930
Message 2 of 4 (347 Views)

Re: Moto G4 Plus (maybe an audio related issue) - Unexpected turn off even in safe mode+Erratic char

If you did a reset and did NOT restore or install andy apps and the problem persisted, then it is time for service. 

If you flash your phone yourself you void your warranty, so i would visit a service center first and let them determine if it is hardware or software. 

* Search is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 4 (326 Views)

Re: Moto G4 Plus (maybe an audio related issue) - Unexpected turn off even in safe mode+Erratic char

Dear Alphadog,

The issue after months of trying to solve seems to have solved itself, kind of; after restoring to factory settings and not installing any of the apps I had. It did do the turning off thing once(@20% charge). I then used my sister's OEM LeEco fast charging charger to charge the device and now it seems to be absolutely fine. I can't explain it, with the turbo charger fried I was using a quick charge 3 charger(from Quantum Zero). I'm not sure now if it's the factory reset that helped(except the one recurrence post the reset, or it was the charger. I'm going to have to stick to her charger till I find myself a Lenovo/Moto service center to buy a turbo charger from. If the charger is the issue I'm not sure why the other OEM Moto charger didn't help. In any case, much better now; but still seem to have some unexplained missing charge Android accounts for about 20% (see screenshot)

Thank you for your time in looking into this, and I hope this helps someone. 

Paper Tape
Message 4 of 4 (320 Views)

This is very likely the app causing the problem. Installing it causes the problem, uninstalling it solves the problem.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kog.alarmclock

Top Kudoed Authors