Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Blue Screen Again
Message 2 of 12 (114 Views)

Traveling to Germany in two days with my Moto G4...

... wondering which SIM card to get when I arrive. I think I need to know which GSM bands my moto g4 supports, but I cannot find that information anywhere in Settings. This from the http://www.motorola.com/we/products/moto-g-gen-4 --

Networks

4G LTE (Cat 4)
UMTS / HSPA+
GSM / EDGE

Bands (by model)

Moto G - XT1622
GSM / GPRS / EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS / HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (B1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 19, 20, 28, 40)
Band coverage varies by model, country, and carrier.

However, my phone tells me, on the Hardware information screen, that it is SKU XT1625 with 2GB RAM and 16 GB ROM, Version PVTW, and on the Phone status screen it says the Software Channel is retus and Android version is 7.0.

Please advise and thanks

Blue Screen Again
Message 1 of 12 (112 Views)

Going to Germany in two days with my Moto G4...

...trying to figure out which SIM card to get when I arrive there. I bought my unlocked Moto g4 from Walmart in August 2016. On the Hardware Information screen (in Settings) it says I have SKU XT1625 with 2.00 GB RAM and 16.00 GB ROM.I cannot find any screen in settings that tells me which GSM bands the phone supports. I did find the following on the Motorola product page for Moto G4 -- see http://www.motorola.com/we/products/moto-g-gen-4 -- 

Bands (by model)

Moto G - XT1622
UMTS / HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (B1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 19, 20, 28, 40)

GSMArena has a more detailed list here -- http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8050&idPhone2=8103  but "I wanna know for sure" (ass the old song goes) so I am asking here. Thanks - and sorry for the Wild Thing earworm :^)

Blue Screen Again
Message 3 of 12 (114 Views)

Re: Traveling to Germany in two days with my Moto G4...

I'm sorry for the second post - I did not think my first one made it...
Blue Screen Again
Message 4 of 12 (113 Views)

Sorry for double posting - I did not think my first post made it.
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 12 (101 Views)

Sandytoo wrote:
I'm sorry for the second post - I did not think my first one made it...

Where do you live now? You posted the specs for a phone from Western Europe, but you have a USA Phone or some other country?

* Search is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 12 (99 Views)

I think USA as i see walmart. 

The specs are on the USA page here https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g

Bands (by model)

Moto G—XT1625
CDMA (850, 1900 MHz)
UMTS / HSPA+ (850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 41)

Moto Sr Moderator
Message 7 of 12 (98 Views)

Half the LTE bands overlap... so it probably depends on the carrier. Wikipedia has LTE bands by country, so you should be able to look up which carriers in germany support which bands if you want LTE.

Blue Screen Again
Message 8 of 12 (78 Views)

Thanks AlphaDog!  Yes I am in the US. Thanks for link to proper Moto G4 in the US specification page. That page plus the Wikipedia page are exactly what I was looking for!  Hopefully this info will make it easier to get the correct SIM :^)

Blue Screen Again
Message 9 of 12 (44 Views)

4G LTE in Germany? the saga continues

My US-purchased moto G4 is going to Germany the day after tomorrow - but whether its as a glorified rolodex or a functional cellphone still remains to be seen. I opened an incident with Motorla to ask which sort of SIM I would need, and "Marcos" did write back, a vague email saying I should talk to "my carrier" in US and in Germany and that "Motorola cannot guarantee devices bought in US are fully compatible in Europe." Then they closed the incident. With AlphaDog's help here,  I have determined  that there are 3 cell networks in Germany that offer 4G LTE using bands 800, 900, 1800 and 2600. My phone supports 4G LTE (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 41) Ergo, my phone will operate on Bands 7,8 and 26 in Germany but not on band 20. So, does that mean a SIM from a German carrier that supporst bands 7,8,20 and 26 will or will not work in my phone - and by work I mean make and receive phone calls, make and receive texts  and go on the Internet? If it will work for some but not all these, any idea which?  I am leaving the day after tomorrow!

Moto Sr Moderator
Message 10 of 12 (40 Views)

Re: 4G LTE in Germany? the saga continues

Sandytoo wrote:

My US-purchased moto G4 is going to Germany the day after tomorrow - but whether its as a glorified rolodex or a functional cellphone still remains to be seen. I opened an incident with Motorla to ask which sort of SIM I would need, and "Marcos" did write back, a vague email saying I should talk to "my carrier" in US and in Germany and that "Motorola cannot guarantee devices bought in US are fully compatible in Europe." Then they closed the incident. With AlphaDog's help here,  I have determined  that there are 3 cell networks in Germany that offer 4G LTE using bands 800, 900, 1800 and 2600. My phone supports 4G LTE (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 41) Ergo, my phone will operate on Bands 7,8 and 26 in Germany but not on band 20. So, does that mean a SIM from a German carrier that supporst bands 7,8,20 and 26 will or will not work in my phone - and by work I mean make and receive phone calls, make and receive texts  and go on the Internet? If it will work for some but not all these, any idea which?  I am leaving the day after tomorrow!

I Moved your post to your existing thread... no reason to start a new one.

The rep can't answer you as it depends on the carrier. 

Your phone will work... it just depends on carrier if you will get LTE some or all of the time. My Moto Z in the USA works on TMo and ATT in USA. In Europe, that same USA sim will pick up carriers without needing a different sim. But I will only pick up the carriers that have the same band as my phone. Where that carrier has no LTE of a similar band I may drop down to 3G, or i can switch to another carrier.

If you get a different sim, it is up to you to pick the proper carrier - Moto can't tell you which carriers overlap with your phone when you use it in a different countries.

You should be able to make calls. You should be able to text, you should be able to have data - but it depends on the SIM you pick - and then you need to make sure the SIM sets up the APN properly - the carrier you choose can help with this. 

But as technology evolves, some carriers are moving to LTE for voice and data. They ahve no 3G or 2G networks anymore. If you tried one of their SIM cards, likely you would only have data, as your phone is not designed for their VoLTE network. This is not a common occurrence, especially in USA or EU - but it highlights another reason why Moto can't tell you "what SIM" if you travel to another country. 

Top Kudoed Authors