Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Starkman
Punch Card
Views: 174
Message 1 of 9

Using my phone as an MP3 player overnight?

Greetings,

I need something to listen to rain/thunder, etc while I sleep. My CD Player is shot, so I'm thinking to just use my G4 as an MP3 player (plugged in) overnight, every night. Is this going to destroy the battery or kill it quickly?

Thanks much.

KarlBeckman
Token Ring
Views: 157
Message 2 of 9

Re: Using my phone as an MP3 player overnight?

No problem there, if you are using the factory USB charger it won't hurt the battery at all. Instead it will ensure that you have a full charge every morning, which is good.  Then you can use the battery settings to check drain of your various apps including the MP3 player.

I suggest that about once a month you clear the memory cache partition before you go into the overnight charge cycle, using the general insstructions found at https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/DROID-TURBO-by-Motorola/Clear-Cache-Partition/m-p/3154195.  That step will restore the factory battery charging setpoints if they are overwritten by an undiscovered 'memory leak' in a 3rd party app. That happens more often than users realize, especially when apps are updated for a new version of Android OS.

Porphyrius
Broadband 3G
Views: 156
Message 3 of 9

@Starkman wrote:

Greetings,

I need something to listen to rain/thunder, etc while I sleep. My CD Player is shot, so I'm thinking to just use my G4 as an MP3 player (plugged in) overnight, every night. Is this going to destroy the battery or kill it quickly?

Thanks much.

No.I quite often use Binaural beats rain type mp3s to relax.I have done for years on my Android phones.Also,"Brown Noise" mp3s are great as they cut  out surrounding noises.It's never affected any of the modern Lithium batteries used in my Smartphones these days  Smiley Happy

You might like this app from the Google Playstore,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmsoft.whitenoise.full

Comes with a nice big bank of sounds and you can even mix several sounds together.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 136
Message 4 of 9

@Starkman wrote:

Greetings,

Thanks much.

The phone is on and using battery overnight anyway. Areas with weaker signal use more battery, so I am sure many people see greater battery drain then what playing music will cause. 

Battery durability is measured in charge cycles, but i doubt the MP3 player will cause that much battery drain, but even though it adds some drain, the battery will wear on its own as well.

The G4 is also a few generations old, so it is likely you will be replacing in a year or two for feature reasons if not for battery reasons. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Starkman
Punch Card
Views: 105
Message 5 of 9

Thanks much. The link, however, doesn't work. It gives a An invalid set of parameters has been specified in the url. But thanks!
Starkman
Punch Card
Views: 100
Message 6 of 9

Thanks very much, everyone. Very much appreciated!

Starkman
Punch Card
Views: 88
Message 7 of 9

Thanks much for the help!
Starkman
Punch Card
Views: 88
Message 8 of 9

Excellent, thanks! I noted below in a non-quick post that the link you give here doesn't work. Thanks again.
Porphyrius
Broadband 3G
Views: 70
Message 9 of 9

@Starkman wrote:
Excellent, thanks! I noted below in a non-quick post that the link you give here doesn't work. Thanks again.

Just look in the Playstore for White noise and there are a couple but the one I've used is made by 

AMICOOLSOFT

Smiley Happy

Top Kudoed Authors