cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reeshabh
Punch Card
Views: 1,016
Message 1 of 3

Will rooting my phone cause problems in installing the OTA updates?

Will I still get the updates, like the upcoming Nougat update, and install it without hassles after I have unlocked the bootloader and installed root access on my device? Just don't get why many phone manufacturers make sure the rooted phones go soft bricked or get stuck in bootloop.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,008
Message 2 of 3

Re: Will rooting my phone cause problems in installing the OTA updates?

I don't mod my phones, but I know several people who do, and all of them say pretty much the same thing: if you mod your phone, you might want to consider never taking an OTA again.  If you do want to accept an OTA, then be sure to keep careful track of any change you make, because anything that differs from stock will stop the OTA.

I strongly disagree with you that manufacturers make sure that rooted phones get bricked during an OTA.  What causes the brick is the fact that something on the phone was either changed, deleted, or added, and the update failed.

No manufacturer can build a separate version of an OTA for every possible modification.  The OTA looks for model, existing software version, partition sizes,and more to ensure that an unmodded phone won't get bricked during an OTA.  If everything matches, all goes well.  If things don't go well, it's not the manufacturer's fault.  It's caused by what the modder did.

reeshabh
Punch Card
Views: 949
Message 3 of 3

Re: Will rooting my phone cause problems in installing the OTA updates?

Yeah, my perception was wrong. Thanks!
Top Kudoed Authors