cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
narendarn
What's DOS?
Views: 30,388
Message 1 of 11

Will the Moto G4 Plus supports Wifi Calling feauture?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 29,964
Message 2 of 11

Re: Will the Moto G4 Plus supports Wifi Calling feauture?

@narendarn wrote:

Wifi calling is very carrier specific. So, I doubt it.  The few carriers that do it, do it differently. But there is always Google hangouts, Skype or your own VoIP app to get similar functionality. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
kamberk
What's DOS?
Views: 29,830
Message 3 of 11

We returned our Moto G4 because Lenovo/Motorola decided not to implement this feature. Not sure why, since my Motorola Nexus 6 has it, and it is a much older phone. 

Too bad, since it was a good phone other than that.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 29,825
Message 4 of 11

@kamberk wrote:

We returned our Moto G4 because Lenovo/Motorola decided not to implement this feature. Not sure why, since my Motorola Nexus 6 has it, and it is a much older phone. 

Too bad, since it was a good phone other than that.

If you use google hangouts dialer, then carrier support isn't required and wifi calling works on any carrier or phone. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Highlighted
G4Kund
What's DOS?
Views: 29,550
Message 5 of 11

Skype, hangouts, etc would work fine for calling out. But I want to be able to receive calls on my regular phone number when I'm out of cell coverage. Like when I'm deep inside a hospital or other building with spotty coverage. These locations typically have guest wifi.

Android_guy
Paper Tape
Views: 23,406
Message 6 of 11

I m sorry but your not right, it used to be carrier specific when only tmobile had WiFi calling and you had to have a tmobile phone in order it should work but now since other carriers have WiFi calling the phone manufacturers are implanting this feuture so it works with any carrier supporting wifi,  the blackberry priv comes already with the WiFi calling feature which works with any carrier that supports wifi calling, my friend used it before with at&t and now with t-mobile, the iphone  also works with any carrier which supports WiFi calling for exemp verizon sprint att tmobile

Android_guy
Paper Tape
Views: 23,406
Message 7 of 11

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 23,386
Message 8 of 11

@Android_guy wrote:

I m sorry but your not right, it used to be carrier specific when only tmobile had WiFi calling and you had to have a tmobile phone in order it should work but now since other carriers have WiFi calling the phone manufacturers are implanting this feuture so it works with any carrier supporting wifi,  the blackberry priv comes already with the WiFi calling feature which works with any carrier that supports wifi calling, my friend used it before with at&t and now with t-mobile, the iphone  also works with any carrier which supports WiFi calling for exemp verizon sprint att tmobile

That is true for some phones but other phones are very carrier specific. Most nexus phons are hit or miss some work on t-mo, some on verizon but none work on att. 

The carriers are still the gatekeepers and provision the service to the phone. Maybe they all do use the GAN system/standard (unknown to me), but just because a phone works with one carrier doesnt gurantee wifi calling will work with another. 

CortisCooper
What's DOS?
Views: 15,266
Message 9 of 11

I just got a new Moto G4 5th generation with Android 7.0 on MetroPCS and it does support WiFi calling!  It also supports call forwarding if you pay an extra $5/mo to MetroPCS

CortisCooper
What's DOS?
Views: 15,266
Message 10 of 11

I just got a G4 Plus (5th edition) runing Android 7.0 and connected via MetroPCS.  Wifi calling works fine!  Call forwarding also works if you pay MetroPCS the extra $5/mo.  

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors