Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Licoricetwist
Blue Screen Again
Views: 26,975
Message 1 of 20

Workaround for Moto G4 ghost touch

Hi, I've read lots of posts on this forum and articles on the ghost touch problem, as I was having serious trouble with my Moto G4, and wondered about returning for fixing as it's well within warranty. However reports on fixes seemed variable, so I've been doing some experimenting to see if I can avoid it, and making notes. 

The "solution" I found *might* explain why repair centres are not finding the problem. Or it might be temporary... but here are my thoughts anyway. 

• Back up your data and do a factory reset (they will anyway at the centre) to get back to stability to start with
  • Keep screen brightness below 50% (Above 50% was when mine got hot esp in bright sunshine - which is when you do it)
  • Stopped using turbo charger (might try again, having settled down)
  • Remove any non-native apps from the *Home* screen, access them from the Apps screen instead. Home screen for Google apps. (I've now added 2 widgets - CCleaner and Battery Solo, no probs)
  • Don't use the left column on the Home screen, nor the bottom row. They seem *particularly* sensitive to ghost touch. 
  • I close apps at night and run CCleaner (may or may not be relevant) esp after games or any heating app like video conferencing

Perhaps a subset of these would be enough, but mine now seems stable since 19 Jul (1 week) so I haven't carried on testing. I think screen brightness and Home screen native apps only are the key ones. 

I *think* repair centres don't find anything because: 

1. They are indoors so the brightness is low
  2. They do a factory reset so they don't have non native apps

In one thread a techie was asking about more data, so I hope this helps the diagnosis and development of what is basically a brilliant phone. 

Ecoaster
Punch Card
Views: 26,782
Message 2 of 20

Re: Workaround for Moto G4 ghost touch

Certainly appreciate your thoughts and effort...  but I can say for sure that lowering the brightness does nothing to stop the ghost touch on my G4, which is getting worse and worse as time passes.

Licoricetwist
Blue Screen Again
Views: 26,768
Message 3 of 20

Have you been through the factory reset route? Though I think a few factors interact, no one thing on its own.

It will be interesting to hear if the others help.

Licoricetwist
Blue Screen Again
Views: 26,636
Message 4 of 20

Update: 2+ weeks and still no problems with ghost touch (it was really bad before).

First thing to try might be clearing out the home screen of non built-in apps and having just one home screen, and not using left column or bottom row. 

Whether over heating is a trigger, not sure but I try to keep it cool because it's better for the battery.

Shaileshchandra
Blue Screen Again
Views: 21,807
Message 5 of 20

@Licoricetwist wrote:

Hi, I've read lots of posts on this forum and articles on the ghost touch problem, as I was having serious trouble with my Moto G4, and wondered about returning for fixing as it's well within warranty. However reports on fixes seemed variable, so I've been doing some experimenting to see if I can avoid it, and making notes. 

The "solution" I found *might* explain why repair centres are not finding the problem. Or it might be temporary... but here are my thoughts anyway. 

• Back up your data and do a factory reset (they will anyway at the centre) to get back to stability to start with
  • Keep screen brightness below 50% (Above 50% was when mine got hot esp in bright sunshine - which is when you do it)
  • Stopped using turbo charger (might try again, having settled down)
  • Remove any non-native apps from the *Home* screen, access them from the Apps screen instead. Home screen for Google apps. (I've now added 2 widgets - CCleaner and Battery Solo, no probs)
  • Don't use the left column on the Home screen, nor the bottom row. They seem *particularly* sensitive to ghost touch. 
  • I close apps at night and run CCleaner (may or may not be relevant) esp after games or any heating app like video conferencing

Perhaps a subset of these would be enough, but mine now seems stable since 19 Jul (1 week) so I haven't carried on testing. I think screen brightness and Home screen native apps only are the key ones. 

I *think* repair centres don't find anything because: 

1. They are indoors so the brightness is low
  2. They do a factory reset so they don't have non native apps

In one thread a techie was asking about more data, so I hope this helps the diagnosis and development of what is basically a brilliant phone. 

tlmiller9644
Paper Tape
Views: 21,243
Message 6 of 20

I've been dealing with this problem for quite a while. I got this phone last year and I would say after a few months of owning this phone is when these issues started. Yes I have done a factory reset twice and problem thought was fixed until after a week of reset the ghosting came back. Upon research there was something about this particular phone is known to have this issue and the solution on that was to return it. Sounds like a very expensive solution. Being that the warranty is no longer available i am stuck with this!! 

Licoricetwist
Blue Screen Again
Views: 21,218
Message 7 of 20

Yes, tried Factory Reset a couple times. Helped a bit short-term, but without being careful of brightness and charging, it didn't help on it's own. 

Licoricetwist
Blue Screen Again
Views: 21,217
Message 8 of 20

In the end, after about 10 months of trying various things, I sent it off for repair. Since it came back I have had no problems. A couple times a sort of brief ghost-touch blip if I tried to use it when charging, but otherwise problem-free for the past 4 months. 

The process was easy and straight-forward and I was pleased to have no problems with the return. 

I don't know what repair costs if not under warrantee. But my guess is that they have bottomed out what the problem is so a return for repair has a high chance of working, whereas in the early days it may have been more hit-or-miss.

Brilansee
Paper Tape
Views: 18,005
Message 9 of 20

I have been battling this on 2 phones, best solution, put app called dimmer on you phone, use this to control brightness, if you need to you can move phone brightness adjustment up slightly.  Next solution do not buy another Moto phone.

Nick85
What's DOS?
Views: 16,583
Message 10 of 20

I live in London. We've had the hottest April weather over the last 4 days. The Ghost touch on my screen has bern going crazy and I can only stop it by turning the phone off. 

I also travel frequently to Cyprus which is very hot in summer and I have the same issues there. 

I'm not a techie but my experiences tell me it's an ovet heating issue.

Top Kudoed Authors