04-21-2018 07:10 AM - edited 04-21-2018 07:13 AM
Hi Nick -
Yes, a crazy April after a long bleak winter! Not quite so hot here in the Midlands, but more like June even so!
If you are under warranty still, it's worth a repair. If you're not, it's certainly worth enquiring about the cost. Now the problem is sorted, I'm totally pleased with my Moto G4. It did a great job videoing sessions at a conference last week. While doing that I had my sim in my Moto G (1) and I could sure feel the difference in usability.
I've recently got a Lenovo Tab 4 Plus and love the way it and the phone share the same uncluttered UI. Effortless moving from one to the other, with a micro SD card of videos for processing on the tablet via AndroVid.
05-07-2018 06:10 AM
After over a year of great use of phone the ghost issue has appeared. Each time it randomly opens and closes apps in banking and even enters numbers into log in screens!..very naughty.
One clue to cause might be the area of the screen near volume control on right as when I enter pattern code occasionally a rogue red dot appears ...when the ghost issue appears I have trouble even powering off the phone. It refuses to shut down,!..after a while it stops and I then reboot which usually results in no problems till it happens again..
I have stripped out all non original apps etc and reset phone but the problem still comes back. I go notice that the phone gets quite hot when it occurs, but even when kept cool it happens. It definitely is occurring more frequently with each passing week... I'm wondering if it has something to do with the battery....perhaps after a certain age it causes haywire?...
05-09-2018 08:31 AM
Sorry to hear about the issue, just to narrow down-- as this depends on a lot of factors such as --- if we have any physical damage on the screen, or we are using any screen protector/case that might we interrupting the display at some point or so...
What we can try is to remove any externals from the device, and checking in 'Device help app' app >> Touchscreen.
If you have tried all and factory data reset and tested BEFORE installing or restoring ANY apps, and the problem persists, then service/repair/ is next step.
10-02-2018 03:15 AM - edited 10-02-2018 03:28 AM
I have a Moto G4 that is nearly two years old. It has worked fine for most of that time, but for the last 6 months it has had the ghost touch issue and has been getting progressively worse in the past two weeks or so. So much so that the phone was almost unusable. So, I've been trawling the various forums and watching You-Tube videos that suggest solutions. What I have found so far is as follows:
What have been the symptoms with my phone:
1. When unlocking the screen the phone would enter 99999999999999999999.......... into the code input line. The only way I found to deal with this was to hold the backspace icon with my right thumb whilst entering the correct code with a finger on my left hand.
2. Once the phone was unlocked, it would generally do some crazy things like swap two icons on the main screen (usually from position 9 to above position 1); open apps at random; type words into input screens and even dial out to my home land-line via a shortcut on the main screen!!
What hasn't worked for me:
1. Some videos suggested going into Settings/Display and turning on Adaptive brightness. This made no difference on my phone.
2. Some also suggested going into Settings/Battery/Battery optimisation (3 dots top left)/All apps and turning optimisation off for Google Now Launcher and System UI. Again, this made no difference with the ghost touching issues on my phone.
What has worked for me:
1. One of the posts on this forum and others suggest turning down the screen brightness to less than 50%. This worked immediately for me and continues to do so. Despite one post on a forum saying that it wouldn't make any difference, I have proved conclusively that this does work by putting the brightness back up to 100% and immediately the ghost touch issue returned. I have also experimented and found that I can have the brightness level above 50%, it's currently at 70% and the ghosting issue has not returned. I'll gradually increase the brightness to see how far I can push things ghost touch free!
Hope that this helps someone who has been frustrated by the suggestions that didn't work for them.
10-05-2018 04:01 AM
It's been nearly a week without any ghost touch issues. What I did find though was that turning the brigtness down to 70% was too high, so I've settled on approx. 60% and the phone is now completely stable.
12-28-2018 10:31 PM
Hi I am facing this issue of ghost driving whole phone on its own in a yr I have done factory reset a couple of times and then again this issue is coming up. Can lenovo team give any solution for the same.
07-13-2019 08:15 AM
In my case, I didn't have to go through the route of factory reset and data backup. Here is what worked for me. Adaptive brightness Off, screen brightness on the lower side (less than 30% or so).
I’ve been having the problem with ghost touches for quite some time now. After monitoring it for a while I noticed it peaked when I am out in the sun (imagine the frustration when you are driving using google maps navigation and there are ghost touches) and sometimes when I am in a room against a window. So I suspected something with the ambient light sensor. After turning the adaptive brightness off I am able to operate the phone properly out in the sun. I realized that my brightness level had been less than 30% coincidentally, as I have always preferred keeping it that way to conserve battery. After that, I came across a few posts suggesting that. So this does take care of ghost touches in above scenario.
I also see ghost touches when I am charging the phone, and I suspect the reason for that is different from above. Yet to find a fix for that.
For now, I can live with the work around, not being able to operate the phone out in open was a deal breaker for me. Ghost touches while charging I can tolerate for now, till i find another work around.
And yes, I will think twice before I buy a motorola next time.
07-13-2019 01:50 PM
Hi @jaspritsgill, just as a comment to your post, I had no more problems after I sent it for repair, and was very happy with the G4 after that. My husband was having issues with his quite old G2, so I upgraded and he has my G4 now. No ghost touch problems.
I now have a G6 and continue to be very happy with the series. :-) (G7 didn't look like an improvement though).
08-18-2019 05:06 PM
I have the same problems with Moto G4 which I've owned since the phone was released. Done 2 factory resets, now upgraded to Oreo, problem remains. However I have an easy workaround (NOT fix!). I enabled Android Developer Options - very easy. https://developer.android.com/studio/debug/dev-options I then enable "Show Tap". You will now see ghost touches dancing across the screen. The workaround is this (for Oreo): display is off > turn on by momentarily pressing power button > display is on > quick look to see if any ghost touches. If yes > cycle (on/off) the display by pressing power button twice with brief delay between presses. When the screen is active again the ghost touches are normally gone. If no ghost touches > unlock phone with finger (or pin).
This unlock takes a little while to get used to but soon becomes automatic. If the ghost touches start while the screen is active, just use the power button to cycle the display.
Works for me, hope this helps everyone!