Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raj_pichholiya
Paper Tape
Views: 4,254
Message 1 of 12

moto g4 plus random shutdown

Hi, I'm experiencing a very annoying problem with my Moto G4 plus of shutting down automatically randomly. Situations are: 1. The phone is idle, received a call, phone shuts down. 2. Listening to music, suddenly shuts down. 3. Playing game, received a notification/ call, shuts down. *Every time the battery level is decent. Please suggest something.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 4,171
Message 2 of 12

Re: moto g4 plus random shutdown

@raj_pichholiya wrote:

Hi, I'm experiencing a very annoying problem with my Moto G4 plus of shutting down automatically randomly. Situations are: 1. The phone is idle, received a call, phone shuts down. 2. Listening to music, suddenly shuts down. 3. Playing game, received a notification/ call, shuts down. *Every time the battery level is decent. Please suggest something.

Hi raj_pichholiya

That's unfortunate but let me help. When did this issue start? Has anything happened with the device before the issue started? Have you tried any troubleshooting steps yet? Let us know more. Thanks!

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

Akdale
What's DOS?
Views: 3,947
Message 3 of 12

I had same issue.  Was the launcher.  Loaded nova launcher and issue is resolved. Clue was it was a soft reboot.  It happened i n safe mode too.  So its not a 3rd party app issue its an issue with the loaded software from vendor. Try nova launcher and see if issue goes away

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 3,923
Message 4 of 12

@Akdale wrote:

I had same issue.  Was the launcher.  Loaded nova launcher and issue is resolved. Clue was it was a soft reboot.  It happened i n safe mode too.  So its not a 3rd party app issue its an issue with the loaded software from vendor. Try nova launcher and see if issue goes away

Hi Akdale

Thanks for sharing your insights! It is great to hear that your issue was resolved. In anyway that we can be of help, please feel free to reach out. Thanks!

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

JDwriter
Paper Tape
Views: 3,464
Message 5 of 12

Hi,

I, too, have been experiencing random shutdowns with my Moto G4 Plus. I am actually on my third Moto G4 Plus in one year (each time I get a new phone from Motorola, it works well for a month or two, and then the random shutdowns start again). Before I send in the problem phone, I clear the cache, I run it in safe mode, and I do a factory reset without adding any extra apps. None of these steps resolves the shutdown issue. I really like this phone and want it to work, but the frequent random shutdowns make it almost unusable. I've seen many people writing about this issue. Is this a known issue to Lenovo, and if so, what is the solution?

I would appreciate any help you can give. Thank you.

Rahulsingh1
Paper Tape
Views: 3,371
Message 6 of 12

Same issue with mine too . Tried all same steps as mentioned but no solution yet . Please help . My email id is rahulsingh.etw@gmail.com . Please assist.

Sriram_1303
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,262
Message 7 of 12

I have been having this issue of automatic shut down on my Moto G4plus. Shut down is more probable when I answer a call on speaker or switch on any video clipping or make a video call. I have done cache clearing, safe mode as well as factory reset. None of these have resolved the issue. Unfortunately this seems to be an issue with this device / model for many. 

JDwriter
Paper Tape
Views: 3,246
Message 8 of 12

So, to follow up on my original post, I called Motorola service support yesterday and spoke to two different service people about this recurring problem. Since I am on my third G4 Plus in one year, I requested they give me a credit towards a different model or that they send me a Moto G5 Plus. They told me they did not have the authority to do that, so they gave me the email for executives at Motorola. I emailed them yesterday, and they responded with a kind email expressing regret at my problems, but informed me that they could only replace my phone with the same model.

Since I will undoubtedly have the same problem with the next one (who knows--maybe they're just sending me back the same phone?), I won't be taking them up on their offer. My next step is to take it to a cell phone repair shop and pay to get the battery replaced. I know it will void the warranty, but at this point it doesn't matter, since Motorola will not make this situation right. I even asked if this was a known problem, and I was told no. How can that be when so many people are reporting this problem on the internet? I am very disappointed with Motorola's policies. Everyone I spoke to was very kind and helpful, but the company doesn't actually care if their customers are happy. My next phone will NOT be a Motorola.

Sriram_1303
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,092
Message 9 of 12

Got a response from Motorola with standard response of check for updates, clear cache, have sufficient storage, uninstall unutilized apps, factory reset. All these have been done multiple times, with no resolution. This issue has been reported by so many users, yet Moto says it is not a known issue ! Please accept this is a device issue and provide a resolution.
JDwriter
Paper Tape
Views: 2,945
Message 10 of 12

This is my third post about the random shutdown issue of the Moto G4 Plus. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think we've pinpointed what the issue is and fixed my phone. After a month or so of using this phone, which was my third G4 Plus from Motorola in a year, I found some ideas online about how to fix Android phones that shut down randomly.

Somebody mentioned that the case you use can actually impact the phone's ability to stay on, maybe because of pressure on the power button, so I removed my case and started using the phone without it. Right away I got in a longer usage period than before. My phone used to shut off at about 80% battery, and now it was lasting until about 50% battery. Big improvement.

The other thing we saw mentioned was that the battery can be jostled so that it doesn't make all the contacts it should. I drop my phone frequently. I was skeptical, but my husband took out the battery and then put it back in. I started using the phone again the next day, and I ran it all the way down to 0%! No more random shutdowns. I did not put the case back on, in case that was part of the problem. It's been several days, and it seems to be working perfectly. I'll try to report again over time to see if this is a permanent fix.

Hope this helps some of you. This problem has been driving me absolutely bananas!

Top Kudoed Authors