Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

15 Posts

05-02-2017

United States of America

126 Signins

996 Page Views

• Views: 996
  • Message 121 of 867

Re: 5 Plus on Verizon - very poor call quality

2017-05-06, 22:50 PM

I'm hoping you are right!  Thank you, for that bit of news.  Much appreciated.                                              Yve

Options

9 Posts

05-04-2017

United States of America

41 Signins

168 Page Views

• Views: 168
  • Message 122 of 867

2017-05-07, 1:28 AM

I got a new SIM from Verizon today, but still experiencing choppy calls. 

Options

7 Posts

05-07-2017

United States of America

15 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 123 of 867

2017-05-07, 19:25 PM

Just activated the phone yesterday and my wife is having all the issues that have been documented.  We are in Boise, ID.  We will be returning the phone in the next few days if there isn't more information from Motorola about the issue. Too bad....great price on the phone!

Options

15 Posts

05-03-2017

United States of America

53 Signins

352 Page Views

• Views: 352
  • Message 124 of 867

2017-05-07, 19:58 PM

On May 4, 2017 I purchased the Moto G5 Plus on Amazon (32MB with Amazon bloatware). I am a Verizon customer in NJ/PA/DE area. 

I initially used my old iphone 5 sim card to activate the phone. I was not able to turn on LTE Enhanced calling UNTIL HD calling was added to the account by Verizon customer service. [It didn't even show up as an option in the settings.] 

When LTE was NOT activated the call quality was OK- not excellent.  

Once LTE Enhanced (HD Voice) was toggled to “on the call quality so very choppy on MY SIDE of the call and NOT for the other party (the tech support rep from Verizon).  In fact, it was impossible to have a conversation with the rep on that phone—we had to finish the conversation on the landline.  

I directed him to read about the problem in this forum.  He suggested that I try a new sim card --although he read here in the forum (as I had) that the sim card probably would not make a difference. He  told me it was better to get an android sim card because they were aware of intermittent problems iPhone cards in Android phones (described as features missing such as texting not working, etc.) He said that Android sim cards in iPhones had even more issues. 

He told me to go a corporate VERIZON store because in a corporate store they will GIVE you the new sim card at no charge—however, if you go to any other Verizon retailer they will charge you $20 for the card.  He was willing to mail it to  me, but thought it would be faster to go to a local store since my phone is still in the warranty period. 

So, I went to the a local Verizon corporate store and the tech tried putting a new card in—but she was unable to get the phone activated.  She then asked if I wanted to talk to tech support or just put the old card back in.  I chose to talk with technical support again.  So they called on the phone and put me through the technical support.

Support was only able to activate the sim card after connecting a dummy phone to it in an effort to reset it.  Once the phone was activated, he then had to again turn on HD calling so that the LTE option was available on my phone.

He explained that the the terms VoLTE,  Advanced Calling or HD calling were describing the same function.  It is was allowed calls and data to happen at the same time. 

Once this was on—he wanted to make a HD test call -but he didn’t have an HD phone.  So he asked me to have one of the in-store people call me from an HD phone.  INTERESTINGLY the manager pulled out his Android phone and said, wait a minute, I need to turn it on—meaning  he had to turn on the HD calling.  I asked him why he didn’t leave it on—and he said—too many dropped calls!   (The tech agent the night before had explained to me that if you have HD on and in your area the LTE signal is not strong, you’ll get a lot of dropped calls. This is a major metropolitan area—I am surprised that this is the case.) 

Anyway, after he turned it on, he made a test call.  We were able to have a conversation WITHOUT any issues.  The call was clear.  However, the call was also very short.  I tried calling one more place and again, I was not experiencing any issues. 

However this morning, I received an inbound phone call and the call was choppy (and echoing).  Not nearly as bad as it had been  when using the iPhone sim card, but still not good.  I was able to have a conversation but it was annoying—not impossible.

For now, I am turning LTE Enhanced calling off.  That is UNTIL there is  a fix for this.  I am usually under WIFI so for me it’s not a huge inconvenience. 

Motorola— what is the current STATUS of a PATCH for this? Afterall making phone calls is a basic feature which needs to function. 

Options

2 Posts

05-08-2017

United States of America

5 Signins

103 Page Views

• Views: 103
  • Message 125 of 867

2017-05-08, 17:54 PM

I'm running into the same issue as well. Bought a new Moto G5 Plus on 5/7/17, took it to a Verizon Corporate Store and got a brand new SIM card the same day. No issues getting it running on Verizon's network. Then I activated HD Voice and call quality became very bad: sound is choppy, comes in and out, impossible to understand the other person. Turning off Enhanced 4G LTE Mode resolves the issue, though it's not ideal.

This is occurring in Westchester County, NY, with -87 dBm / 53 asu LTE signal strength and the following settings:

Preferred network type: Global

Enhanced 4G LTE Mode:  On

System select:  Automatic

CDMA subscription: RUIM/SIM

Options

16 Posts

05-09-2017

United States of America

45 Signins

198 Page Views

• Views: 198
  • Message 126 of 867

2017-05-09, 17:46 PM

So Moto, where are we at with this? Have they acknowledged this is an issue that will be fixed? Or am I taking this back to Bestbuy? It would be a shame as I really love this phone. I can't go without voice and data. From what I've seen, the only fix is to turn off a feature I really need. 

Please Moto don't go silent. 

Options

18 Posts

04-25-2017

United States of America

126 Signins

515 Page Views

• Views: 515
  • Message 127 of 867

2017-05-09, 18:08 PM

<nod>

Options

15 Posts

05-02-2017

United States of America

126 Signins

996 Page Views

• Views: 996
  • Message 128 of 867

2017-05-09, 18:40 PM

Moto - Anne:

Do you have news for us???  Any progress with this issue???  Is there a fix or an update to this issue in the very near future???  To leave your faithful customers hanging without a word or a solution is extremely unprofessional​.  I have been faithful customer for decades, and now when I need you most, that I am ill, you fail me.  What has happened to your company Motorola/Lenovo, that you don't care about your​ customers, or the condition of your products and services???.

Options

4622 Posts

10-05-2016

United States of America

621 Signins

51467 Page Views

• Views: 51467
  • Message 129 of 867

2017-05-09, 19:38 PM

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate all information you provided, We are aware of this issue and we are trying to duplicate the issue in order for us to get the root cause.
We would like to ask all customers who have the same issue for some information for our Engineers to know those phones experiencing this. Please see this link for that information we need, thanks.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

Please do not send me a personal message regarding your concerns or questions if this can be posted to this community. We prioritize the ones posting on threads.
Options

1325 Posts

01-16-2017

Philippines

278 Signins

37025 Page Views

• Views: 37025
  • Message 130 of 867

2017-05-09, 19:41 PM

wrote:

Moto - Anne:

Do you have news for us???  Any progress with this issue???  Is there a fix or an update to this issue in the very near future???  To leave your faithful customers hanging without a word or a solution is extremely unprofessional​.  I have been faithful customer for decades, and now when I need you most, that I am ill, you fail me.  What has happened to your company Motorola/Lenovo, that you don't care about your​ customers, or the condition of your products and services???.

Hi Yve327,

We are still investigating as we are trying to duplicate the issue on our end. We are doing our best to help everyone out experiencing this. Kindly respond to the questions linked by Jess for further investigation. I appreciate your patience.

-Anne

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms