Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

20125 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2600 Signins

65343 Page Views

• Views: 65343
  • Message 291 of 867

Re: 5 Plus on Verizon - very poor call quality

2017-06-05, 18:29 PM

In no sense are we ignoring it. This has been a difficult item to reproduce and understand, but the team is actively working on it and there is a lot going on behind the scenes. If we have something concrete to share, we'll do so. 

Apologies that it takes a long time. 

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

20 Posts

05-12-2017

United States of America

25 Signins

266 Page Views

• Views: 266
  • Message 292 of 867

2017-06-05, 20:20 PM

Steps on reproducing the issue:  

Step 1: Turn on phone

Step 2: Turn on Enchanced LTE

Step 3: Make a phone call.

Step 4. Listen to static fuzz mumbling and absolute garbage.

Step 5. Turn off the feature that comes with the phone, which recommends the feature be turned on.

Options

5 Posts

05-16-2017

United States of America

11 Signins

76 Page Views

• Views: 76
  • Message 293 of 867

2017-06-05, 20:25 PM

Matt and Motorola, I think one of the most frustrating parts of this experience has been the lack of acknowledgement of any issue. I've been troubleshooting for the last 7 weeks, have been on calls with Motorola and Verizon for over 10 hours, and I'm still having to fight to convince Motorola that there's a chance this model has a problem. Here's a bit of the rundown of what we've tried:

*Try with/without Bluetooth headset (no change, has same intermittent issue on handset speaker or Bluetooth headset)

*Try playing music (always clear as a bell)

*Monitor signal strength (has still happened repeatedly with strength in the -69 to -105dBm range)

*Restart phone (sometimes helps, but in a strange way it was quite satisfying to have choppy audio pop up, even again upon restarting, when a Motorola rep called and I couldn't hear to troubleshoot)

*Restart phone in safe mode (same as restarting... Still comes back)

*Return handset#1 for replacement g5 plus (same issue with handset #2)

*WiFi on/off (no consistently repeatable difference... Except that one voicemail incident I described earlier)

*Reset network settings with Verizon (no difference, same issues)

*Traded SIM cards with my wife on her Nexus 5x (No issues with my card in her Nexus phone, she did have some with her card in the G5 plus).

*Factory data reset, with basically no backed up data, just contacts and messages (no difference)

... Don't you think it just *might* be the handset model being somewhat incompatible with the Verizon network? Don't you think you just *might* want to take care of your customers who are struggling to use this most basic feature of a phone?

Options

4 Posts

04-26-2017

United States of America

11 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 294 of 867

2017-06-05, 20:25 PM

Hard to reproduce?  That is a bold face lie.  Why can't we hear from someone that knows what they are talking about?

Options

42 Posts

04-06-2017

United States of America

93 Signins

670 Page Views

• Views: 670
  • Message 295 of 867

2017-06-05, 20:34 PM

I'm sorry Matt, I totally understand that this isn't your job to fix, but as a customer service representative it is your job to engage with the customer base. According to your own fellow customer service representatives, every Verizon customer is experiencing this issue. So, saying it is difficult to reproduce just doesn't hold water. I find it amazing that something like the 911 bug, for which the FCC would have mandated a recall if you didn't fix it, got fixed real quickly. However this issue, reported one week after release, is ongoing.  We haven't heard a word in 2 weeks regardless of over 2 new full pages of customer responses. Its even more damning when you consider the response to my post was so quick for just saying that I won't be buying a Motorola product again. The thread is obviously being monitored, but a total lack of communication is, in a sense, ignoring it.

There is a reason why basic tele-customer service training includes letting the customer on hold know every 2 minutes or so that you are still working on their case and some form of ETA. Because customers that don't hear anything fear the worst. Much like I am personally fearing that Motorola doesn't care about the Verizon g5 plus owners having an issue that affects a basic component of their phone because they're looking at releasing new phones already. 

Options

11 Posts

02-19-2016

United States

15 Signins

219 Page Views

• Views: 219
  • Message 296 of 867

2017-06-05, 20:39 PM

With all due respect, I think there are many things you (the Motorola team) could be doing to assure your customers other than simply waiting for "something concrete" to report.  Keeping people in the dark regarding findings and progress and only weighing in when frustration rises (again) is simply not considerate of those who put their trust in Motorola.  Working on the problem says that you want to protect your revenue while not regularly (and without prodding) communicating your progress speaks of a total disregard for your customers.

You could post a quick update every couple days with an indication of effort or some small amount of progress.  And you could certainly let people know that they will be taken care of via an extended return period should the issue not be corrected by a certain date.  But the only communications appear to be along the lines of "we are working on it and will give you another non-update the next time you all start to get antsy".

On 5-23 you stated "But I can't look the other way when people violate the site requirements for respect and civility. Anyone can stay calm when things are going well."  I think the same applies to communicating with your customers - it is easy to keep them informed when things are going well and just as easy to ignore them for a week at a time when things are not.

At this point, frankly, there is enough evidence contained in this thread to draw a very unfavorable view of how Motorola feels about and treats its customers.  Like many others here, I am done with Motorola but continue to monitor this situation for the same reason I can't turn away from a car wreck.

Despite the high price tag, I must say that my new Galaxy S8 is a fantastic phone and an extremely easy transition from my three prior Motorola devices.

Options

11 Posts

02-19-2016

United States

15 Signins

219 Page Views

• Views: 219
  • Message 297 of 867

2017-06-05, 20:50 PM

BTW, when I picked up my S8 at the Verizon store a couple of weeks ago I asked the service rep if he knows of any problems with the G5 Plus on the network.  He seemed like a very knowledgeable and non-BS type so I thought I would see what he might know.  I think that his response was interesting...although I cannot vouch for its accuracy.

He said that completely "unlocked" and non-vendor specific phones tend to have a problem handling Verizon's mode of encryption on the network - as it us much different than the other carriers.  We didn't get into specifics, but he said he has seen it several times before and wasn't surprised to hear about issues with the G5+, even though Motorola partners with Verizon for the Droid series phones.

As I said above, I have no idea if this claim holds water but thought it was interesting enough to share.  And he wasn't trying to sell me on a Verizon phone...I had just picked up my S8 from him moments before.

Options

29 Posts

05-18-2016

United States of America

119 Signins

595 Page Views

• Views: 595
  • Message 298 of 867

2017-06-05, 20:53 PM

I've also ditched this phone like a bad date. My new HTC 11 is an awesome device. I've been loyal to Moto since the first Moto X . I've owned the Moto X2 and the Moto X pure edition. Once Lenovo took over and didn't release a new Moto X for 2016 I should have left then. For all the people hanging on to these phones I wish you all the best and hope that a fix is finally released.

Options

42 Posts

04-06-2017

United States of America

93 Signins

670 Page Views

• Views: 670
  • Message 299 of 867

2017-06-05, 21:20 PM

Well Matt, I'm sorry to say, but Motorola support chat has now officially told me that this forum is now my primary means of support for this issue. This is after my previous support ticket was supposed to be elevated to an engineering team. So, I guess you are my technical support personnel. How may I speak with you privately about my support ticket to track the progress?

Options

33 Posts

11-18-2015

United States of America

31 Signins

163 Page Views

• Views: 163
  • Message 300 of 867

2017-06-05, 21:47 PM

Another garbage response Matt. Tell Motorola to give us our money back and let us move on. You can then close this thread and never have to respond again. This is beyond the time period in which I will continue to even listen to "this is a difficult problem to replicate". That is nonsense and you know it. I'm a technician by trade and this would never fly in my line of work. This device would have been recalled and an apology provided for releasing something that was subpar. I demand Motorola recall this phone so anyone experiencing this issue ,that actually put faith in your company, can get their hard earned money back, no questions asked. Anything less is unacceptable at this point. If you do this maybe some will purchase again when and if this issue is rectified.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms