Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

06-06-2017

United States of America

223 Signins

488 Page Views

• Views: 488
  • Message 431 of 867

Re: 5 Plus on Verizon - very poor call quality

2017-07-18, 13:42 PM

I have the may update and under settings>special access>unrestricted data access I have phone enabled. I am on day 2 of good phone call quality

Options

32 Posts

03-11-2016

United States of America

67 Signins

461 Page Views

• Views: 461
  • Message 432 of 867

2017-07-18, 14:36 PM

I find it interesting that as soon as I added this phone to my account Verizon removed my Total Mobile Protection Muti-Device coverage and when I asked why, their reply was that the Moto G5+ was not a recognized Verizon phone and they will not cover it. Also, when I go to my Verizon account, my other 4 phones on the account show a picture of the phone, and this one shows a generic phone, not the Moto G5+. So although it is sold as a phone which is fully compatible with Verizon, this doesn't seem the case.

Options

32 Posts

07-15-2017

United States of America

94 Signins

370 Page Views

• Views: 370
  • Message 433 of 867

2017-07-18, 16:11 PM

wrote:

Hi everyone,

Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help us investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well. Thank you.

Regards,

Joy

Motorola Support

Information updated

Options

22 Posts

07-18-2017

United States of America

35 Signins

332 Page Views

• Views: 332
  • Message 434 of 867

2017-07-18, 17:20 PM

I've just signed up and put my phone info in.  I just bought three of these phones on Amazon Prime Day.  They are the ones with the Amazon ads.  One of my three phones has not come yet.  The other two both have completely unacceptable voice call issues.  It is sporatic, but the voice on the other end of the line sounds robotic and is very choppy.  I can't have this. I am a lawyer and I do business on my phone.  Just had a call from a court clerk and couldn't understand what they were saying. I have tried pulling the SIM and installing the May update.  I guess I will try disabling Enhanced 4g LTE.  I've spent hundreds of dollars on these three phones.  The wife and daughter weren't so excited about these budget phones, and if the darned things don't work it's really not good. Motorola/Lenovo needs to fix these issues people have apparantly been complaining about since the phone came out in March.  

For those looking into whether this is a regional issue, I am in Northwest Arkansas right across the river from Oklahoma and use the phone both here in Arkansas and in eastern Oklahoma. 

Options

147 Posts

07-15-2017

United States of America

1048 Signins

7468 Page Views

• Views: 7468
  • Message 435 of 867

2017-07-18, 17:57 PM

@BillG4, which G5 Plus version (32GB or 64GB) did you purchase? Are you using a headset (wired or Bluetooth) when making calls? Were the VZW sims brand new or did they come from another phone?

Options

5 Posts

05-16-2017

United States of America

11 Signins

76 Page Views

• Views: 76
  • Message 436 of 867

2017-07-18, 19:36 PM

wrote:

I've just signed up and put my phone info in.  I just bought three of these phones on Amazon Prime Day.  They are the ones with the Amazon ads.  One of my three phones has not come yet.  The other two both have completely unacceptable voice call issues.  It is sporatic, but the voice on the other end of the line sounds robotic and is very choppy.  I can't have this. I am a lawyer and I do business on my phone.  Just had a call from a court clerk and couldn't understand what they were saying. I have tried pulling the SIM and installing the May update.  I guess I will try disabling Enhanced 4g LTE.  I've spent hundreds of dollars on these three phones.  The wife and daughter weren't so excited about these budget phones, and if the darned things don't work it's really not good. Motorola/Lenovo needs to fix these issues people have apparantly been complaining about since the phone came out in March.  

For those looking into whether this is a regional issue, I am in Northwest Arkansas right across the river from Oklahoma and use the phone both here in Arkansas and in eastern Oklahoma. 

In case this helps...

Turningthe "enhanced LTE" setting off on my phone didn't seem to help (if I remember right). I struggled similarly needing a real PHONE that I could rely on for work, and finally turned "HD voice" off on my Verizon account, which has at least allowed me to use this most basic feature of talking over the phone. That's been off for over a month now and I've had almost zero issues with call quality over that time.

Options

22 Posts

07-18-2017

United States of America

35 Signins

332 Page Views

• Message 437 of 867

2017-07-18, 20:28 PM

We got the 64 gig phones.  I have never used a headset on a cell phone.  These were stock phones with nothing new installed on them.  As soon as we got the first two my daughter and I took them to the Verizon store and they provided the SIM cards. On the way home from the store I called my wife and the sound was okay at firt but then she started sounding like a robot and bits of words were chopped out and I couldn't understand anything she was saying.  Some calls it works fine, others are like that.  I had one today with a court clerk and couldn't underdstand a word she was saying.  I'm a lawyer and often use my cell phone for work.  It is worthless to me if I cannot understand what the person I'm on a call with is saying.  My daughter's phne is doing the same thing.  My wife also ordered a phone that was delayed in shipping and is supposed to arrive this evening.  I fully expect it to have serious call quality issues too that make it worthless to us.  I have not tried disabling Enhanced 4g LTE, but will try that.  It's just frustrating.  I blew hundreds of dollars on these phones.  The wife and daughter weren't all that excited about these budget phones to begin with and now the darned things don't even work and from what I'm reading people have been complaining about these problems since these phones came out in March and Lenovo/Motorola has done nothing to correct the problem.  I hate having to go through this hassle, but I'll probably have to return these.  

Options

22 Posts

07-18-2017

United States of America

35 Signins

332 Page Views

• Message 438 of 867

2017-07-18, 20:35 PM

How do you turn HD Voice off on your Verizon account?  I can't find a way to do that when I go to My Verizon.

Options

26 Posts

07-15-2017

United States of America

197 Signins

678 Page Views

• Views: 678
  • Message 439 of 867

2017-07-18, 20:56 PM

On your phone go to settings, press More under wireless and networks, cellular networks then turn off enhanced 4G LTE mode

Options

8 Posts

07-17-2017

United States of America

24 Signins

112 Page Views

• Views: 112
  • Message 440 of 867

2017-07-18, 21:04 PM

I too recently bought this phone, am a Verizon customer, and having the exact same issues. I called Motorolla and their staff has no clue about this 4 month ongoing issue. They wasted an incredible amount of my time trying safe mode, resetting the device, etc. Not a word about any of the options discussed here. THANKFULLY I found this forum and tried the suggested solutions. I installed the May update after removing the SIM card (why they hell didn't this happen automatically without having to go through this absurd process) and it did absolutely nothing to solve the problem. However, disabling enhanced LTE has mostly fixed the problem (though I still detect little voice glitches every once and awhile). That said, it is absolutely infuriating that Motorolla not only released a phone incapable of performing the most basic requirement of a phone, but also has done NOTHING in 4 months to notify their customers of partial solutions or EVEN NOTIFY THEIR OWN STAFF. I wish I could sue Motorola for the cost of the device and the hours of time I wasted trying nonsense solutions when Motorolla knows about the partial solution on this forum. I will NEVER buy another Lenovo/Motorola product after this experience.  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms