Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

22 Posts

07-18-2017

United States of America

35 Signins

332 Page Views

• Views: 332
  • Message 441 of 867

Re: 5 Plus on Verizon - very poor call quality

2017-07-18, 21:06 PM

wrote:

On your phone go to settings, press More under wireless and networks, cellular networks then turn off enhanced 4G LTE mode

Thanks, but what people are suggesting is to turn off HD Voice at the Verizon site somehow.  All I can find there are instructions for turning it off on individual phones.  

Options

26 Posts

07-15-2017

United States of America

197 Signins

678 Page Views

• Views: 678
  • Message 442 of 867

2017-07-18, 21:22 PM

When you are signed in to your Verizon account... Click my plans and services, manage products and apps, click link at top 'manage products and apps', select each device at top, then select HD Voice, then you can click remove.

Options

22 Posts

07-18-2017

United States of America

35 Signins

332 Page Views

• Views: 332
  • Message 443 of 867

2017-07-18, 21:58 PM

wrote:

When you are signed in to your Verizon account... Click my plans and services, manage products and apps, click link at top 'manage products and apps', select each device at top, then select HD Voice, then you can click remove.

Thank you.  You've been very helpful.  We'll see if that works.  It wouldn't let me do it when I tried.  I got some kind of an error message with something about trying later, but at least I know how to get there now.  I appreciate the help. 

Options

1 Posts

07-18-2017

United States of America

3 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 444 of 867

2017-07-19, 0:24 AM

Since different settings seem to be working for different phones I figured I'd post what worked for me(so far).  

"Data Roaming - On

preferred network - LTE/CDMA

Enhanced 4gLte - off" 

My previous settings I had

-data Roaming turned off

-and Enhanced 4GLTE On

Hope this helps. Thanks for everyone's imput. Looks like we were on our own with this one! 

Options

37 Posts

07-19-2017

United States of America

123 Signins

341 Page Views

• Views: 341
  • Message 445 of 867

2017-07-19, 0:26 AM

Is there any fix for this besides turning of enhanced 4g the calling? I just got my moto g5 on Verizon in central Ohio, and installed the 911 update and I have this issue. The fix of disabling enhanced 4g is not acceptable to me as it means I can't use internet while on a call.

Options

2017-07-19, 1:32 AM

wrote:

Is there any fix for this besides turning of enhanced 4g the calling? I just got my moto g5 on Verizon in central Ohio, and installed the 911 update and I have this issue. The fix of disabling enhanced 4g is not acceptable to me as it means I can't use internet while on a call.

It's not acceptable to any of us.

Anyone know if the g5 has the same problem with T-Mobile?

If not I will probably switch.

Maybe if everyone that owns a g5 switched  carriers, then Verizon might get into the fight to get this problem fixed.  I'm sure if they lost a few thousand subscribers they would be sure to let Motorola know how unhappy they are.

Options

37 Posts

07-19-2017

United States of America

123 Signins

341 Page Views

• Views: 341
  • Message 447 of 867

2017-07-19, 1:58 AM

I'm not sure it's a Verizon issue, is it? Even if it's isolated to their network it still seems like a Lenovo software issue to me? 

Options

8 Posts

07-17-2017

United States of America

24 Signins

112 Page Views

• Views: 112
  • Message 448 of 867

2017-07-19, 2:04 AM

Why punish Verizon? I've had several different phones on Verizon and no problem. This is a Motorola problem. This strikes me as a class action lawsuit against Motorola/Lenovo waiting to happen.

Options

41 Posts

06-23-2017

United States of America

47 Signins

415 Page Views

• Views: 415
  • Message 449 of 867

2017-07-19, 6:08 AM

@Paratwa - VoLTE has been perfect for me on T-mobile, except for a couple of weeks where driving past one particular tower would cause my G5+ to start falling back to HSPA (3G) for all subsequent voice calls.  That soon resolved itself, and was probably a T-mobile VoLTE problem specific to that tower, but continuing to use HSPA even when back on an unaffected tower might have been the phone's fault.  Rebooting or cycling airplane mode on/off would get it back on VoLTE.  It's been a few months since that was happening.  I've used the phone mostly in northeast and central Florida, but also in Washington DC and Boston.

Wifi calling also works fine.  Note that T-mobile requires you to enter a 911 Address on their web site (my.tmobile.com), but unlike iPhones and possibly some other models, the G5+ never prompts for this, it just won't work until you do.

Be sure to test coverage in all important areas before committing to a switch.

AT&T apparently won't allow either VoLTE or Wifi calls from most customer-provided, unlocked phones, just as a matter of policy.  AT&T users have reported that moving an already-active SIM from another AT&T phone to the G5+ will result in VoLTE & Wifi-calling working for a few hours, until AT&T notices the different IMEI and blocks it from those calling modes thereafter.

Having to use 3G for voice calling on AT&T (or T-mobile) isn't as bad as being in the same situation with Verizon, because the 3G standard used by these networks (HSPA/WCDMA, with wider 5MHz carriers) does support simultaneous voice & data.  Data just gets slower for the duration of your voice call, rather than going away entirely; established data connections, such as an ssh session freeze for a couple of seconds during radio re-tuning, but don't drop when transitioning LTE <-> HSPA.

Sprint, as I understand it, hasn't yet rolled out VoLTE at all, so on their network it won't work for any phone.  They also use the same CDMA2000 3G standard as Verizon, where voice and data run on separate 1.25MHz carriers that can't both be tuned in at once.  Their coverage, in most places also tends to be notably worse than the other three.

Options

41 Posts

06-23-2017

United States of America

47 Signins

415 Page Views

• Views: 415
  • Message 450 of 867

2017-07-19, 6:19 AM
@Paratwa - VoLTE has been perfect for me on T-mobile, except for a couple of weeks where driving past one particular tower would cause my G5+ to start falling back to HSPA (3G) for all subsequent voice calls. That soon resolved itself, and was probably a T-mobile VoLTE problem specific to that tower, but continuing to use HSPA even when back on an unaffected tower might have been the phone's fault. Rebooting or cycling airplane mode on/off would get it back on VoLTE. It's been a few months since that was happening. I've used the phone mostly in northeast and central Florida, but also in Washington DC and Boston.

Wifi calling also works fine. Note that T-mobile requires you to enter a 911 Address on their web site (my.tmobile.com), but unlike iPhones and possibly some other models, the G5+ never prompts for this, it just won't work until you do.

Be sure to test coverage in all important areas before committing to a switch.

AT&T apparently won't allow either VoLTE or Wifi calls from most customer-provided, unlocked phones, just as a matter of policy. AT&T users have reported that moving an already-active SIM from another AT&T phone to the G5+ will result in VoLTE & Wifi-calling working for a few hours, until AT&T notices the different IMEI and blocks it from those calling modes thereafter.

Having to use 3G for voice calling on AT&T (or T-mobile) isn't as bad as being in the same situation with Verizon, because the 3G standard used by these networks (HSPA/WCDMA, with wider 5MHz carriers) does support simultaneous voice & data. Data just gets slower for the duration of your voice call, rather than going away entirely; established data connections, such as an ssh session freeze for a couple of seconds during radio re-tuning, but don't drop when transitioning LTE <-> HSPA.

Sprint, as I understand it, hasn't yet rolled out VoLTE at all, so on their network it won't work for any phone. They also use the same CDMA2000 3G standard as Verizon, where voice and data run on separate 1.25MHz carriers that can't both be tuned in at once. Their coverage, in most places also tends to be notably worse than the other three.

(apologies if this shows up twice - I got an error on the first attempt)
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms