Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

16 Posts

08-16-2017

United States of America

27 Signins

227 Page Views

• Views: 227
  • Message 601 of 867

Re: 5 Plus on Verizon - very poor call quality

2017-08-16, 17:59 PM

I know it is not from carrier ? someone had said they thought it would be pushed out by Verizon. With that said how does Motorola know I have the phone to send a update? Might be a stupid question, but if I don't know I ask.

Options

24 Posts

01-05-2012

United States of America

34 Signins

237 Page Views

• Views: 237
  • Message 602 of 867

2017-08-16, 18:28 PM

I've had phones where I waited for more than two weeks to get an OTA but typically it's around 3-5 days.  Yes it's frustrating especially if a specific feature doesn't work.  But my point is that flooding a forum with "When will I get it?" type questions don't get anyone anywhere especially if there are previous posts with people asking.  They notified people on this thread yesterday at about 10 am.  People started complaining about not getting their updates within hours.  Even though later they posted that they will look into getting some information for customers with Amazon Prime phones.

I would suggest that a few hours is unreasonable and if you don't get your update after 24hours then you might want to check the forums for information.  If you see multiple people asking the same question then waiting for the update.

Keep in mind that there have been PLENTY of OTAs (some of them fixes to issues) that have made things worse.  Of course, if they pushed this out to everyone then the posts would be "**bleep** did you push this out to everyone at once and not in waves so you could minimize the impact on people....".

Listen, IT sucks to wait.  One of the reasons I moved over to Nexus/Pixel was b/c I hate waiting.  But I also try to be reasonable especially since the carrier determines much of the timeline.  You also have to temper your expectations b/c Lenovo is H O R R I B L E about communicating information and getting updates out.  The fact that this came out relatively so quickly is frankly amazing.

Options

24 Posts

01-05-2012

United States of America

34 Signins

237 Page Views

• Message 603 of 867

2017-08-16, 18:30 PM
I'm sorry but the ground troops that you get when you reach Tech Support are NOT going to the cutting edge with information. The number of times that a carrier has announced some feature even had it on their website yet the people on the phone had no idea is staggering.
Options

42 Posts

04-06-2017

United States of America

93 Signins

670 Page Views

• Views: 670
  • Message 604 of 867

2017-08-16, 18:56 PM

Nnyan,

You also have to understand that Motorola reached out to us to register our imei's so that we would be in the first group that gets it. The fact that some of us don't have it after we registered to be in the first group is what is causing us to be a bit peeved and thus post.

Options

521 Posts

12-29-2013

United States of America

557 Signins

10169 Page Views

• Views: 10169
  • Message 605 of 867

2017-08-16, 19:10 PM

wrote:

I know it is not from carrier ? someone had said they thought it would be pushed out by Verizon. With that said how does Motorola know I have the phone to send a update? Might be a stupid question, but if I don't know I ask.

I don't know the inner workings of the update process, but I would expect that the phone sends information like IMEI, ICCID (SIM number), and current software versions to the server to ask if there are updates.

The ICCID would tell the server what carrier the device is being used on.

Options

2017-08-16, 19:18 PM

wrote:

Nnyan,

You also have to understand that Motorola reached out to us to register our imei's so that we would be in the first group that gets it. The fact that some of us don't have it after we registered to be in the first group is what is causing us to be a bit peeved and thus post.

That's what annoys me. I'm registered and still no update.

Options

14 Posts

06-06-2017

United States of America

223 Signins

488 Page Views

• Views: 488
  • Message 607 of 867

2017-08-16, 21:28 PM

Same here. I thought that was the whole reason we put that into our profiles

Options

24 Posts

01-05-2012

United States of America

34 Signins

237 Page Views

• Message 608 of 867

2017-08-16, 22:09 PM

Fair enough on being registered.  But between Verizon and Lenovo I'm not surprised that they collected data and then didn't follow through on it.  I know this can suck but try removing your SIM card from your phone for awhile (while phone is off) and then putting it back in.  At least several people on other forums seem to claim that it helped them to get updates.  Also make sure any settings that you may have changed while working on this issue are reverted back to stock and reboot.

Options

7 Posts

05-29-2017

United States of America

21 Signins

105 Page Views

• Views: 105
  • Message 609 of 867

2017-08-17, 0:18 AM

I haven't gave my info out and I just got the update. 

It seems to have fixed the volte issue, but I only with one call

Options

22 Posts

07-18-2017

United States of America

35 Signins

332 Page Views

• Views: 332
  • Message 610 of 867

2017-08-17, 3:09 AM

My guess is they wanted our imei numbers and carrier info not so they could put us at the front of the line for updates but because then they could know which phones were having problems, which batch they came from, which provider, etc., to narrow down the issues and possible fixes. My phone is one of those Amazon versions with the ads. Apparently the update isn't out for our phones yet. I'm just glad to see it coming out for everybody else because that means it will come out for me soon. I'd rather let you guys be the guinea pigs anyway. New updates are often buggy and then they need fixes for the fix. My phone is doing fine since I turned off Enhanced 4g lte mode. We'll all get updates soon. This is progress. 

Edit: Talking to my wife right after posting this and she tells me she has an update ready to install. Hers is the same Amazon Moto G5 Plus ordered the same day (Amazon Prime Day) but that order took several extra days for some reason and the phone may not be from the same batch. We're all going to get our updates soon and in the mean time my wife gets to be a guinea pig. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms