Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

16 Posts

08-21-2017

United States of America

17 Signins

171 Page Views

• Views: 171
  • Message 671 of 867

Re: 5 Plus on Verizon - very poor call quality

2017-08-21, 20:02 PM

Not an option for Sprint users. Dropping to 3g or Verizon non-enhanced forces the network to not use voice over data. Voice over LTE is not unique to Verizon. Verizon, however, was the first to adopt. 

Options

16 Posts

08-21-2017

United States of America

17 Signins

171 Page Views

• Message 672 of 867

2017-08-21, 20:12 PM

Rather should say, not an option setting on this phone for Sprint. 

Options

42 Posts

04-06-2017

United States of America

93 Signins

670 Page Views

• Views: 670
  • Message 673 of 867

2017-08-21, 20:13 PM

Tom:

Does this mean that the people who got the security update with SIM removed won't get this update for 2 updates? I say 2 because the next update would bring the other users even with us, then the update after that should trip our phones... Am I looking at this right?

Also, in regards to the timeline. The current patch level for the g5 plus on verizon is march, and it is currently August... Is the next patch Motorola is working on going to be the may one that I downloaded, or are they working on the june or july patches? Is there an ETA on Verizon Moto g5 plus patches? I know you said a couple of weeks... but that could mean literally any timeline. I'm essentially wondering if it would be worth it to flash my phone back to the OEM OS and start updating again. Does Motorola host the original OS?

Options

37 Posts

07-19-2017

United States of America

123 Signins

341 Page Views

• Views: 341
  • Message 674 of 867

2017-08-21, 20:17 PM

wrote:

Tom:

Does this mean that the people who got the security update with SIM removed won't get this update for 2 updates? I say 2 because the next update would bring the other users even with us, then the update after that should trip our phones... Am I looking at this right?

Also, in regards to the timeline. The current patch level for the g5 plus on verizon is march, and it is currently August... Is the next patch Motorola is working on going to be the may one that I downloaded, or are they working on the june or july patches? Is there an ETA on Verizon Moto g5 plus patches? I know you said a couple of weeks... but that could mean literally any timeline. I'm essentially wondering if it would be worth it to flash my phone back to the OEM OS and start updating again. Does Motorola host the original OS?

Would love to know the answers to these questions as well. I would flash back to original os version if I could rather than wait another indeterminate number of weeks...

Options

5564 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3323 Signins

78201 Page Views

• Views: 78201
  • Message 675 of 867

2017-08-21, 20:47 PM

wrote:

Tom:

As far as I know, the next update for all phones will get everyone to the same version including the fixes. So, if you didn't get the fix this round, you should get it in the next update. Of course, this is always subject to change, but from what I know, that's the plan as of right now.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

41 Posts

06-23-2017

United States of America

47 Signins

415 Page Views

• Views: 415
  • Message 676 of 867

2017-08-21, 21:27 PM
I don't think Sprint has even deployed VoLTE yet, beyond some possible testing in specific markets, on a few phone models they've sold themselves (search for "sprint volte" to see many threads of people asking and complaining about that; apparently issues with handoff between LTE and CDMA/1xRTT are part of the hold-up).

So, any voice quality problem you're having is probably something else, not directly related to the Verizon issue.

If you have root, the speaker and earpiece volume issue can be improved by editing /etc/mixer_paths.xml, replacing all '84' numbers in there with '92'. For me (on T-Mobile) the default volume was usually adequate, but just barely - I had to leave it all the way up, and sometimes had trouble hearing in noisy areas. The 84->92 bump gave just enough extra headroom, without any appreciable added distortion. I don't know why they don't just set it this way at the factory - maybe some weird hearing-damage liability concern?
Options

16 Posts

08-21-2017

United States of America

17 Signins

171 Page Views

• Message 677 of 867

2017-08-21, 21:43 PM

Yes, rooted... Thanks for the tip!

Options

2017-08-21, 22:04 PM

So for those of us that have not gotten the update, we can expect it, I'm guessing around the same time Android Oreo rolls out?

Options

147 Posts

07-15-2017

United States of America

1048 Signins

7468 Page Views

• Views: 7468
  • Message 679 of 867

2017-08-21, 22:08 PM

wrote:

I'm on Sprint network and same ol' issue. When do Sprint users get an update? Only update received was May security patch.

What I can't figure out is why the call volume is so heavily restricted. At Max volume it's far too low. The phone is capable since music and video can be played at much louder levels. Is the patch or update designed to resolve both issues? If the voice issue is fixed and not the volume limitation will unfortunately have to return the phone.

The subject of this thread discussion is an issue that is generally specific to Verizon and can be solved by turning off VoLTE in the phone settings until Verizon users get the update patch that supposedly fixes this VoLTE issue.

The low volume is a completyly seperate issue that is discussed in the following thread: Low Volume During Calls via earpiece and speaker

No known fix (ETA: for unrooted phones AFAIK) other than turning on speaker phone and then turning down the volume, or possibly rooting the phone and going with a third party rom for the low volume issue.

Options

41 Posts

06-23-2017

United States of America

47 Signins

415 Page Views

• Views: 415
  • Message 680 of 867

2017-08-21, 22:17 PM
You'll need to reboot after editing that mixer_paths.xml file - I think it's only read once during startup. Not sure what the highest allowed setting is, but 92 was loud enough for me, for both earpiece and speaker.

It's always good to make a backup first, of course.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms