Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

147 Posts

07-15-2017

United States of America

1048 Signins

7468 Page Views

• Views: 7468
  • Message 701 of 867

Re: 5 Plus on Verizon - very poor call quality

2017-08-28, 18:14 PM

Tick, tock, tick, tock. Day 13 and no update for my G5 Plus on a VZW MVNO...

Options

22 Posts

07-18-2017

United States of America

35 Signins

332 Page Views

• Views: 332
  • Message 702 of 867

2017-08-28, 18:21 PM

Did you pull your SIM card install the May security update? If so, the wait will be at least weeks if not months. We have to wait for the next big update which could take forever. My wife didn't install the May security patch, so she got her update. It did not fix the garbled call problem though. We had to turn Enhanced 4g  LTE mode off again for the call quality to improve. I'm thinking it will likely be months before the next update. I don't want to be doing the "tick tock" thing in my brain waiting g for it. Pretty sure the secret to happiness is low expectations. 

Options

32 Posts

03-11-2016

United States of America

67 Signins

461 Page Views

• Views: 461
  • Message 703 of 867

2017-08-28, 18:56 PM

wrote:

Did you pull your SIM card install the May security update? If so, the wait will be at least weeks if not months. We have to wait for the next big update which could take forever. My wife didn't install the May security patch, so she got her update. It did not fix the garbled call problem though. We had to turn Enhanced 4g  LTE mode off again for the call quality to improve. I'm thinking it will likely be months before the next update. I don't want to be doing the "tick tock" thing in my brain waiting g for it. Pretty sure the secret to happiness is low expectations. 

Can someone explain this May security update? I see that I have Android security patch level and it says May 1,2017. I did not pull my sim to get any update. Does this put me into the category of people that have to wait weeks, maybe months, since I have the May security update? Or is it only the people that obtained the May security update via pulling the sim that have to wait, and others have it because they got updated OTA?

Options

147 Posts

07-15-2017

United States of America

1048 Signins

7468 Page Views

• Message 704 of 867

2017-08-28, 21:05 PM

@BillG4, Yes I did the SIM card pull trick and was updated to the May 1, 2017 NPNS25.137-35-5 firmware. Know about MotorolaTom's post back on August 21 too and subsequently posted my frustration at how those who upgraded would have to wait even longer than those who didn't upgrade.

Just posting to have an outlet for my frustration at the glacerly slow push out of a fix for teh VoLTE/poor call quality issue. :smileylol:

Options

22 Posts

07-18-2017

United States of America

35 Signins

332 Page Views

• Message 705 of 867

2017-08-28, 21:32 PM
"Can someone explain this May security update? I see that I have Android security patch level and it says May 1,2017."

My understanding is that if you have that security update you have to wait for the next big update and will not get this one. It's only for phones that do not have that May security update
Options

147 Posts

07-15-2017

United States of America

1048 Signins

7468 Page Views

• Message 706 of 867

2017-08-28, 22:22 PM

wrote:
My understanding is that if you have that security update you have to wait for the next big update and will not get this one. It's only for phones that do not have that May security update

Right. Just so everyone knows what Bill is talking about, here is MotorolaTom's reply earlier in the thread that explains why users who have the May 1 update will have to wait till the next round of updates, when ever (or if ever) they are issued by Motorola, with respect to the Verizon poor call quality/VoLTE issue.

08-21-2017 07:22 AM

Hello everyone, 

Thank you to everyone who has gotten the update and has provided feedback. So it looks like we have some confusion and I'd like to provide some feedback. If you had your VZW SIM out of your phone and somehow got the Security patch in June (May security update) then sadly your device will have to wait for the next round of updates. We didn't push the May security update to devices that had an active VZW SIM installed. That being said you'll still get the update but it's likely going to be at least a couple weeks away (hopefully sooner). I know it's not the best scenario, but I wanted to at least give you guys some more information. 

-Tom

Options

521 Posts

12-29-2013

United States of America

556 Signins

10164 Page Views

• Views: 10164
  • Message 707 of 867

2017-08-29, 16:32 PM

Has anyone tried a 3rd party ROM, like AOSP or LineageOS?

Wonder if they have the same VoLTE issues. I looked but didn't see any mention one way or the other.

Options

32 Posts

03-11-2016

United States of America

67 Signins

461 Page Views

• Views: 461
  • Message 708 of 867

2017-08-29, 16:44 PM

wrote:

wrote:

Right. Just so everyone knows what Bill is talking about, here is MotorolaTom's reply earlier in the thread that explains why users who have the May 1 update will have to wait till the next round of updates, when ever (or if ever) they are issued by Motorola, with respect to the Verizon poor call quality/VoLTE issue.

08-21-2017 07:22 AM

Hello everyone, 

Thank you to everyone who has gotten the update and has provided feedback. So it looks like we have some confusion and I'd like to provide some feedback. If you had your VZW SIM out of your phone and somehow got the Security patch in June (May security update) then sadly your device will have to wait for the next round of updates. We didn't push the May security update to devices that had an active VZW SIM installed. That being said you'll still get the update but it's likely going to be at least a couple weeks away (hopefully sooner). I know it's not the best scenario, but I wanted to at least give you guys some more information. 

-Tom

I don't understand then why I have the May update. I never pulled my SIM and I show that I have the May update. That is why I was confused.

Options

20 Posts

05-12-2017

United States of America

25 Signins

266 Page Views

• Views: 266
  • Message 709 of 867

2017-08-29, 19:26 PM

I gave up waiting for the update, I ended up buying the new  Moto e4 as it was only like $40 at Wal-mart, It doesnt feel as nice as the g5+ But it's a VERIZON branded phone and the VOLTE works great! I don't really notice much from switching performance wise. Sucks, I liked my g5+.

Options

22 Posts

07-18-2017

United States of America

35 Signins

332 Page Views

• Message 710 of 867

2017-08-29, 20:52 PM
I don't understand why people just must have VOLTE or they think their phones are worthless. I wish it worked, but see this really as a minor inconvenience. I would like to be able to look stuff up on the internet and talk at the same time, but I haven't needed to do that since I turned off Enhanced 4g LTE Mode. I rarely ever have to do that. The phone has been working fine for me. I do hope they give us a working update in the not to distant future. I may never buy another Motorola or Lenovo product because I have had such bad luck with their products, but I am not replacing this phone until it quits working. I paid $180 for a phone with 64gb of memory and 4 gb of ram. It's a pretty awesome phone and a heck of a deal. I'm now only paying Verizon $167 and change for three phones with unlimited data. That makes me happy. I was paying $220 or so when I bought my phones from them and we were only sharing 10 gigs of data. If this phone never works any better than it does now, I'll still feel like I got a good deal.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms