Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

08-12-2017

United States of America

9 Signins

143 Page Views

• Views: 143
  • Message 711 of 867

Re: 5 Plus on Verizon - very poor call quality

2017-08-30, 11:58 AM

I agree with BillG4. I ve had my phone 5G+ for a while and never had the need to talk and surf at the same time. I didn't even know about this, as my VOLTE was disabled so voice quality was good. I was upset anyway that I didnt have the feature I didnt know I needed. Anyway I did receive the Update and enabled it. So now I can talk and surf and eat all at the same time. This is a great phone and the price is unbeatable. I have 3 of them and all have the updates. Glad I did not eturn them.

Options

147 Posts

07-15-2017

United States of America

1048 Signins

7468 Page Views

• Views: 7468
  • Message 712 of 867

2017-08-30, 14:36 PM

wrote:
I don't understand why people just must have VOLTE or they think their phones are worthless. I wish it worked, but see this really as a minor inconvenience.

For some its a combination of not only this VoLTE issue but other bugs (like the low volume) that are causing some to return the G5 Plus. Like it or not the VoLTE issue while you may not see it as a big deal, may be a big deal to someone else. It all depends on how one uses the phone. The phone was supposed to work on VoLTE, it doesn't so Moto should fix the issue as soon as possible for ALL Verizon users, not just those who have certain firmware versions or certain VZW sims.

I think I read somewhere (either in this subform or elsewhere) that Verizon will be going VoLTE only at some future point (couple of years from now) as they free up or transition within their various radio spectrum's. If so this would become a major factor for those still using this phone on Verizon when (if) that transition is made.

With my previous Moto phone that had VoLTE under VZW postpaid I had better call quality to fellow VZW users who also had VoLTE enabled than I did to those who didn't have VoLTE enabled. That isn't the case currently with my G5 Plus since I have to turn off VoLTE to ungarble the occasional calls to fellow VZW users who have VoLTE enabled on their end.

Options

37 Posts

07-19-2017

United States of America

123 Signins

341 Page Views

• Views: 341
  • Message 713 of 867

2017-08-30, 14:43 PM

Also, my voice quality is not great with Volte turned off. It is awful when it is on, and it is average or slightly below average with it off (compared to other phones I've used). Sounds like with most people who got the update the quality is way better when volte is turned on (when it works). Having good voice call quality should not be a compromise on a mobile phone.

And as someone else said, it depends on how you use the phone. I frequently like to be on speakerphone and use data while on a call, on hold, or whatever. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean others don't.

Options

8 Posts

07-17-2017

United States of America

24 Signins

112 Page Views

• Views: 112
  • Message 714 of 867

2017-08-30, 14:44 PM

I followed this forum for 4 months, following the advice offered and trusted the Motorola staff to resolve this problem. I did what I was told here, disable VoLTE, disable it on Verizon website, remove the SIM for the May security update, and so on. None of these things ever fully fixed the problem. Calls are not as garbled, but one or both parties regularly cannot hear the other and calls drop. This happens even at the home I've lived in for 12 years, where I have NEVER had any of these problems, even with flip phones early on. Now, 4 months later, these incompetant fools at Motorola finally fix the problem, but they issue it as a March update so NOW I STILL CAN'T HAVE A FIXED PHONE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think I have ever hated a company as much as I hate Motorolla. THIS IS COMLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!!! Tom and all you other people at Motorolla who have chimed in here. This is shameful what you have done. I only wish someone would file a class action lawsuit against this horrible company.

Options

521 Posts

12-29-2013

United States of America

557 Signins

10169 Page Views

• Views: 10169
  • Message 715 of 867

2017-08-30, 18:14 PM

wrote:

Having good voice call quality should not be a compromise on a mobile phone.

Historically voice quality has been an issue on cell phones, generally far worse than land lines. It's a fairly recent development to have good voice quality.

Options

521 Posts

12-29-2013

United States of America

557 Signins

10169 Page Views

• Message 716 of 867

2017-08-30, 18:50 PM

wrote:

the May security update, and so on. None of these things ever fully fixed the problem.

a March update so NOW I STILL CAN'T HAVE A FIXED PHONE

I'm not clear why you took the May update (or when). Truied to find info on it here and no luck.
Was it supposed to fix a particular issue?

Is it possible to revert that (maybe fastboot or RSD Lite)? Maybe no flash all the partitions?

I'm still figuring out the rules for this device (and not quickly as it's my wife's phone).

Options

52 Posts

04-26-2008

United States of America

111 Signins

839 Page Views

• Views: 839
  • Message 717 of 867

2017-08-30, 22:40 PM
I think the biggest issue is for people who use the phone for GPS. They can't take or make a phone call at the same time. For me it hasn't been an issue.
I know just enough to be dangerous!
Options

2 Posts

08-31-2017

United States of America

10 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 718 of 867

2017-08-31, 5:17 AM

I am looking to buy this phone unlocked and use it on Verizon. Having read back through a lot of the thread I am a bit confused about the levels of updates. Will a new phone recieve the correct updates and be able to solve this issue right from the start? Does it matter if I buy it direct from Motorola, or from another source?

Options

521 Posts

12-29-2013

United States of America

557 Signins

10169 Page Views

• Message 719 of 867

2017-08-31, 15:18 PM

wrote:

Will a new phone recieve the correct updates and be able to solve this issue right from the start? Does it matter if I buy it direct from Motorola, or from another source?

The one my wife got from Amazon last month updated once when I set it up then it updated the day the VoLTE "fix" was released.

It appears there was some other update that people forced their phones to take that has got in the way of the more recent fix. I've not figured out what that update (May) was supposed to correct that would cause people to force the update.

Options

521 Posts

12-29-2013

United States of America

557 Signins

10169 Page Views

• Message 720 of 867

2017-08-31, 15:25 PM

wrote:
I think the biggest issue is for people who use the phone for GPS. They can't take or make a phone call at the same time.

Not clear why that would be. GPS uses a separate antenna and voice calls don't interfere with it.

Maps for display are usually downloaded such that you aren't constantly using data. A larger area is downloaded so you can go several minutes without needing more. It's not like you won't ever loose a connection while driving. The apps have to accout for that.

I use offline maps anyway. Even Google's app will download the maps needed for the route.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms