Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

32 Posts

03-11-2016

United States of America

67 Signins

461 Page Views

• Views: 461
  • Message 71 of 867

Re: 5 Plus on Verizon - very poor call quality

2017-04-30, 21:23 PM

I also have a Moto G5+ from Amazon on Verizon. All calls are broken up where I cannot hear the other party, but they hear me fine. The same sim works fine in my motorola droid maxx2.  I need a reliable phone for a conference call for work tomorrow, and I am afraid it won't work.

I just switched the network settings to those recommended on this site, so I will make some test calls, but if they don't improve I may have to return the phone. Also, I tried to remove HD voice from my online account in verizon, but when I clicked remove, it told me there was an error.

I'm located in Staten Island, NY, and calls were also choppy in Brooklyn.

Options

32 Posts

03-11-2016

United States of America

67 Signins

461 Page Views

• Views: 461
  • Message 72 of 867

2017-05-01, 13:01 PM

I can confirm that now that “Enhanced 4G LTE Mode” is turned off and roaming is turned on, (those were the 2 things I changed), my calls are much clearer. The problem is though, to buy a new phone, and have to turn off a feature to make the calls "crystal clear" does not make me too optimistic. I am still on the fence whether to return it.

Also, when I toggled the roaming to 'on', it shows a message that I may incur costs. If I am indeed roaming, will verizon charge me? I've never had roaming charges before on other phones.

Options

44 Posts

04-05-2017

United States of America

46 Signins

443 Page Views

• Views: 443
  • Message 73 of 867

2017-05-01, 13:08 PM

You don't need to have roaming on.  VoLTE or "HD voice" (on verizon's website) need to be turned off.    

Options

11 Posts

02-19-2016

United States

15 Signins

219 Page Views

• Views: 219
  • Message 74 of 867

2017-05-02, 13:41 PM

Does anyone have a sense of just how widespread this issue is?  Does it effect all G5 Plus phones on the Verizon network or just a portion of those phones?

If it is systemic, please tell me that Motorola is letting potential Verizon using purchasers know that they might want to hold off until a fix is in place.  And disabling Advanced Calling (VoLTE) and the ability to have simultaneous voice and data is in no way an acceptable workaround.

Motorola - care to comment?

I am looking to replace my Droid Maxx (still running KitKat, as Moto reneged on their promise to upgrade to Lollipop) and thought the G5 Plus looked like the perfect replacement.  Obviously, not the case if you can't make a decent phone call without disabling key features of the phone.

Moto - when can we (the market of potential customers) expect a fix?  If not soon, I need to make the move to Samsung after 7+ years of using Motorola.

Thanks.

Options

44 Posts

04-05-2017

United States of America

46 Signins

443 Page Views

• Views: 443
  • Message 75 of 867

2017-05-02, 13:44 PM

Many of us have replaced our phones and have the same problem with the second phone.  If it isn't affecting all G5+ phones on Verizon it sure is affecting a lot of them.  I would definitely hold off buying the phone as call quality is only acceptable with no VoLTE.   It is a huge drop off from the iPhone 6s.

Options

11 Posts

02-19-2016

United States

15 Signins

219 Page Views

• Views: 219
  • Message 76 of 867

2017-05-02, 13:55 PM
Thanks Allstar. I appreciate the insight.
Options

4622 Posts

10-05-2016

United States of America

621 Signins

51467 Page Views

• Views: 51467
  • Message 77 of 867

2017-05-02, 17:42 PM

Hi Everyone,

We are aware of this issue and we'll keep you posted once we heard an update. For those who haven't stated or asked, 

1. Do you have Advance calling enabled when the issue happened?

2. Does this happen all the time? What location/s?

3. Does this happen on both incoming and outgoing calls?

4. Does turning off Advance calling help?

We just need this information in order for us to raise this up that there are some other users having the same concern, thanks.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

Please do not send me a personal message regarding your concerns or questions if this can be posted to this community. We prioritize the ones posting on threads.
Options

3 Posts

04-24-2017

United States of America

9 Signins

92 Page Views

• Views: 92
  • Message 78 of 867

2017-05-02, 17:57 PM

1. Do you have Advance calling enabled when the issue happened?

The issue happens while making calls with the Phone using factory default settings. The person on the other end of the phone reports that audio sounds fine from their side, however it is so Choppy and broken up on my side with the Moto G5 Plus that it makes it impossible to carry a basic phone conversation. 

When I go into the Cellular Network Settings option in the Android device settings, disabled the "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode" appears to make things "acceptable" but not perfect. To clarify, the sound of the audio in calls is no longer as 'Choppy' but you are taking a big step down in fidelity/bit rate I assume because the enhanced voice is now disabled. As others mentioned, i think this also disabled simultaneous Voice+Data usage which is a problem. 

2. Does this happen all the time? What location/s?

This happens in PA, NJ, DE and MD as I was traveling through all of these states. Around the D.C. area it is just the same, I do not think this has anything to do with location as every location performed similarly for me. 

3. Does this happen on both incoming and outgoing calls?

Yes this occurs on both incoming and outgoing calls

4. Does turning off Advance calling help?

Toggling "Ehanced 4G LTE Mode" to the off position appears to help, however I still experience degraded call quality intermitenly after toggling this mode (but not NEARLY as bad as when Ehanced 4G LTE Mode is enabled).

Return Policy - As I purchased this at Best Buy, it appears that it is no longer eligable for return. I find this pretty aggrevating because I now have an expensive pocket computer that can not even make basic phone calls with the factory default settings.

I consider myself an extreme Techy and thus I was able to find this forum and diagnose a few of the problems. I can't help but think the average Joe or Jane using Verizon's Network with this phone must be extremely confused and upset. This should be an emergency fix/patch that is prioritized internally in order to fix ASAP. Phones must be able to make basic calls with the factory default settings or you could likely end up in some class action lawsuit territory (think about people unable to make a basic phone call in an Emergency situation. You've already blown it once with the 911 problem!). Wouldn't be surprised if this gets the attention of some lawyers out there! 

Options

33 Posts

11-18-2015

United States of America

31 Signins

163 Page Views

• Views: 163
  • Message 79 of 867

2017-05-02, 18:09 PM

I will echo everything matt7277 said. My sister lives in southern Maryland and everyone can hear her fine but on her side it's so bad you can't understand anything the other person is saying. It's completely impossible to hold a conversation. Turn off enhanced 4G then calls are possible, although at reduced quality and no data while on a call. Absolute garbage!

Options

18 Posts

04-25-2017

United States of America

126 Signins

515 Page Views

• Views: 515
  • Message 80 of 867

2017-05-02, 18:24 PM

I concur with the last two posts. Only difference for me is location:  Rochester, NY

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms