Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bevhoward
Serial Port
Views: 1,238
Message 1 of 7

APN Frustrations

Problems with APN settings on both a Moto G5 and a Moto G4.

The first is that these are unlocked phones and we are preparing for an international trip where we will not have access to the SIM's until we arrive at the destination country.

I have the APN settings for the destination country so;

Went to APN settings

<tap> "+"

Entered all the destination settings

Used a unique "Name"

<tap> "3Dot" Menu

<tap> "Save"

When I returned to the APN settings, the new entry was not there... so all of the work entering the settings was discarded!

Great Frustration... so,  I did the following;

<tap> "+"

Entered APN Name and APN

<tap> "save"

Entry was then in APN names

I then went in to a field, made the entry, tapped "save" and the name was there, so I proceeded to fill in additional single fields and immediately saved them.

UNTIL, I got to the MCC field

I entered 530 tapped "save" and the entire APN entry disappeared!

Anyone know what is going on?

These stettings are from this spark.nz page.

Beverly Howard

acejavelin
Token Ring
Views: 1,224
Message 2 of 7

Re: APN Frustrations

The SIM should auto-populate this information when you insert it... If not, you may have to wait until you get it.

The current SIM (or last inserted SIM) may not allow the MCC field to be changed, or even allow a non-compatible MCC entry to exist in the device.

I doubt you will have issues when you actually have the SIM.
Highlighted
bevhoward
Serial Port
Views: 1,218
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the encouragements

>> The SIM should auto-populate this information when you insert it... If not, you may have to wait until you get it.<<

I have been supporting my non tech wife (who travels alone) for over a decade, and, while I have had the apn automatically populated by one foreign sim, the majority have not, so I want to do as much before she leaves.

In this case, the sim must be picked up at the destination airport, so, the goal is to get everything possible in place in advance... i.e. not leaving a technophobe with a communications blackout that can be avoided.

>> The current SIM (or last inserted SIM) may not allow the MCC field to be changed, or even allow a non-compatible MCC entry to exist in the device. <<

That goes a long way toward reducing the benefits of buying an unlocked phone if the sim being used can impact the phone's use with other sims ;-(

The APN section allows multiple entries for exactly this type of situation where the owner may need multiple sims to meet the needs of global travel.  To have the settings app simply discard multiple fields of sometimes painfully entered strings that need to be precise with no warning or comment of any kind is, in my perspective as a programmer, malicious.

Thanks again for the response,

Beverly Howard

acejavelin
Token Ring
Views: 1,173
Message 4 of 7

The SIM in the phone does not impact using a different SIM, once the SIM is removed and another is inserted.

Dude777
HDMI
Views: 124
Message 5 of 7

@bevhoward wrote:

>> C connector <<

Since I have way too many MicroUSB cables, I use the chicklet sized Micro->C converters.  I was appaled to find that none of them worked after the update... which, of course, I didn't discover until I put the phone on the charger late one night when it was below 50%

The update, for some insane and useless reason, won't allow the phone accept a charge from any cable that doesn't have all data connectors wired according to standards... even though 99.9999999% of all C connections ever made are simply to charge the phone or device.

>> BlueTooth <<

Bluetooth became unusable after the update.  After connecting, the connection would be dropped with no notification.  To make things even worse, the update removed the bluetooth icon from the top status bar... now the only way to see if bluetooth is on is to pulldown and it takes time to figure out how to determine if bluetooth is connected or even ON.

I "forgot, "re-paired" and restarted attempting to connect multiple devices, multiple times in an attempt to get a BT Keyboard, mouse and two different headsets in an attempt to get reliable connections.  I finally gave up on the keyboard and mouse although the headsets did start behaving after the above.

>> Icons PLEASE!!!! <<

It was tiny, but in addition to pulling the BT icon out of the status bar, the old bluetooth icon in the status bar also displayed two additional dots that indicated that a device or devices were connected... also gone.  I relied on this information despite aging eyesight!  This is better how???

IMHO, whomever is in charge of providing this incomplete and flawed update needs to be fired.  I wonder how many manhours this incompetence has squandered around the world.

Beverly Howard

I use those adapters to charge my phone at home and in the car with no issues. It's not as fast as TurboPower of course. Google decided we needed to save space in the status bar and removed the Bluetooth and NFC icons in Android 9, you'll only see them when there's actual data transferring, but not when it's simply turned on. Android 9 is a huge change from 8 but that's no excuse for poor quality control. There's much to do like making ringer volume the default volume adjusted from the physical buttons. Their gesture navigation is a joke too compared to moto!

~us retail g6~no lifeguard on duty
bevhoward
Serial Port
Views: 117
Message 6 of 7

How did your reply get here?

I noticed a lot of issues with the forum site as I was adding this information, but it was in a completely different thread directly related to the 9 update

Beverly Howard
bevhoward
Serial Port
Views: 112
Message 7 of 7

>> Adapters <<

I purchased two batches of MicroUSB->C adapters since C was introduced.

When I returned home, I ran tests and discovered that all of the adapters in one batch didn't work on the os9 device, but all of the adapters in the second batch work. Again, all of the adapters worked on devices with C connectors but earlier versions of android.

Hope that this information is helpful,
Beverly Howard
Top Kudoed Authors