Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pneibaur
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,807
Message 1 of 7

Android Messages Chat Features

Whenever I try to activate the Android messages chat features, the option to turn them on isn't even there.

I've read several Google support posts on how to turn it on, and it should be under: settings > advanced.

The option isn't just greyed out, it's actually non-existent. Anyone else have this problem, and know how to fix it?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,743
Message 2 of 7

Re: Android Messages Chat Features

@pneibaur wrote:

Whenever I try to activate the Android messages chat features, the option to turn them on isn't even there.

I've read several Google support posts on how to turn it on, and it should be under: settings > advanced.

The option isn't just greyed out, it's actually non-existent. Anyone else have this problem, and know how to fix it?

What feature are you talking about? The web messages?

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Sethbs
Punch Card
Views: 1,736
Message 3 of 7

It's also dependent on your provider.  When I was on Sprint, the chat features were available on my G5+.  Now that I'm on Mint Mobile, the chat features are no longer available.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,733
Message 4 of 7

I see what you are talking about now. Yes, as Sethbs says it is carrier dependent - mainly on their support for RCS it appears.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
pneibaur
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,692
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the info. That's really weird the whole feature just disappears from the phone, all due to the carrier! I suppose I thought that would have meant a system problem, or even a hardware compatibility problem... I have TMobile, which I thought supports RCS, so I'll have to contact them I suppose. 

sbetz
Blue Screen Again
Views: 162
Message 6 of 7

T-Mobile supports RCS.  My daughter has a Pixel 3a and hers is working fine on the same network - I'm getting the Chat features unavailable for this device message when I select Chat features.  I wondering if I need an upgraded SIM card?  

sbetz
Blue Screen Again
Views: 155
Message 7 of 7

I found the solution to setting up RCS Chat Messaging feature.

follow steps in this YouTube video.

The Key is to use an app called Activity Launcher -- from here you can access Messaging Settings -- Namely "Set RCS Flags" which will enable the feature on the phone.  Hope this helps someone else.

https://youtu.be/jQffDVj_Zig

Top Kudoed Authors