Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

11-10-2018

United States of America

6 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 121 of 317

Re: Battery Life problem after update

2018-11-10, 19:37 PM

Agent_JM,

I have been experiencing the same issue since mid-October (i.e. rapid battery drain and warm phone while CPU usage remains high). It occurs regularly but not 100% of the time. Sometimes it will go back to normal after a reboot, but invariably the battery drain issue will start again at some point. At first I thought it was a problem specifically with my phone or apps, but I see now that it is a widespread Motorola issue.

Here is what I know so far:

I have cleared my cache from the Recovery menu and calibrated my battery as you instructed. This fixed the problem temporarily, but it is back to a fast drain a few hours later. The problem is clearly not just a battery life or calibration issue, as the CPU usage is high and also the phone gets warm while this is happening.

I do not have this problem when in Safe Mode. When in Safe Mode, I experience very low battery usage.

Battery Saver mode does not help.

Disabling Auto-Sync does not help.

According to GSam Battery Monitor, most of my battery is being used by Android System, Kernel (Android OS), Google Services (sometimes called Google Play Services), and Google Play Store.

I have updated my phone info and Serial # in my profile. You can take a look at my phone's apps if you wish.

I am happy to help in any way I can. Please let me know what the next step is. I know that doing a factory reset is likely to be suggested, but I am hesitant to do that as others have tried that with no success. That is a very disruptive step to take unless there is a good reason to believe this will fix the issue. I understand that you have to go through preliminary troubleshooting steps first, but it should be clear now that this is a real and widespread issue.

Thanks for your help.

Options

73 Posts

11-11-2018

Netherlands

108 Signins

752 Page Views

• Views: 752
  • Message 122 of 317

2018-11-11, 14:49 PM

Update on November 11th 2018 on standard G5  in Netherlands after removing SD Card from system extension. Then update

Before I copied the necessary to PC with IMT data option set under developer. Else PC can't read SD card. Objective was also to upgrade from 32 GB to a 64 GB SD card. What ever use that might have. Android 7.0 nougat claimed a lot undefined memory on that as SD card. After rolling Oreo out no problems what so ever. You might consider not use extended SD memory and rather use transfer apps the old ways.

Options

73 Posts

11-11-2018

Netherlands

108 Signins

752 Page Views

• Message 123 of 317

2018-11-11, 19:12 PM

Now the battery running straight down and hot has been an occasional problem to the G5 not related to any update of marshmallow, nougat or Oreo. I had a few times and is due to some stray cat gone applications on the phone. Unload the suspectable, mostly useless background apps scanning for something. You put them on there they did not come with the stock phone. Usual some memory efficiency app doing all sorts of gigs. I threw those off and got a good cooling app. I can't think of any reason to root a Moto G5 or use tools like titanium. Start with those and you are heading down the hole. They look atractive but destroy the Google Android concept that works seamlessly. Use proper file management and the Google drive. Stay with Google, and after 2 years buy a better phone for new battery increased memory. And bless God you never went for IOS.

Options

1 Posts

11-12-2018

India

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 124 of 317

2018-11-12, 14:29 PM
When can we expect a new patch so that issue will be solved
Options

2 Posts

11-12-2018

United States of America

13 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 125 of 317

2018-11-12, 14:48 PM

after the update to Oreo my battery has just gone to crap I have to turn my brightness all the way down and keep the phone on charge all night just to get another 15 or 16% back to my battery it's dying right now really hoping that there's some kind of update it doesn't even charge while it's off anymore I was so happy with this phone until this update please push through something to fix this or let us revert back to the one that work properly never had an issue with this phone until now

Options

97 Posts

11-09-2008

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

117 Signins

460 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 460
  • Message 126 of 317

2018-11-12, 14:57 PM

Have you done anything to try and fix the situation based on other postings in this forum?

I would suggest backing up any data on your phone that is not currently in the cloud or backed up anywhere else, remove the SD card if you have one, then do a factory reset

Then run the phone without installing any apps and see whether the charging problems are sorted.  Factory reset is what Motorola techs seem to use as a last resort when other actions are unsuccessful, so might as well start with that as your phone appears unuseable as it stands.

If it is still malfunctioning, ask Motorola to fix it on the basis that they pushed this malware onto your phone and damaged it.

Options

2 Posts

11-12-2018

United States of America

13 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 127 of 317

2018-11-12, 15:48 PM

Even more battery issues arising after the update... Now it's saying can't charge while plugged in. I've tried turning it off to charge it but that doesn't even work it dies while turned off and on the charge.please please revert to last os or just fix the problem... Why have a phone that has to charge for 20 hours because it charges when it wants and half the time doesn't even charge. It's the update

Options

73 Posts

11-11-2018

Netherlands

108 Signins

752 Page Views

• Message 128 of 317

2018-11-12, 15:55 PM

As posted before, this straight down draining running hot has been observed before in marshmallow and nougat also. IT Took me puzzling what caused it.  It is like a male behaving PC. Uninstall suspicious apps continuously active in background. Usually memory management apps suggesting every 5 minutes clearing cache and deleting crap files. My Moto G5 has none of the problems described. It had before but not Oreo related. Seen this behavior on iPhones as well. So no cure buying those so called more reliable phones. Before updating my G5 I cleaned out the stable first as it was too full already and then the ship runs in to problems due to lack of memory and the SD card won't help because the problem is in basic memory to full. I suspect many have a problem there. Oreo takes up a bit more memory and that might just choke whole proper operation. Trying to run on just  1 GB free basic internal memory won't do it.

Options

73 Posts

11-11-2018

Netherlands

108 Signins

752 Page Views

• Message 129 of 317

2018-11-13, 17:18 PM

Today, 2 days after Oreo update battery life is increasing from what it was on Nougat, doubling almost. So won't use new spare battery I ordered a few months ago for 20 euros. Cannot confirm nor recognize any of complaints here. Even put more apps yesterday after the update. Nor can't complain ever of Motorola/Lenovo support, warranty or service.. they fixed 2 Moto's in past. Even one I bought in Spain . Doing this with or without reseller support. Last repair was the spanish G4 with Motorola Netherlands that had famous ghost touch screen.  Seen as many apples fail as Moto's did. Seeking support from Apple is way more difficult if a large provider or reseller is not backing you. Motorola makes no fuzz. You call, get a service ticket and send her in to agreed service center. I owned G2, G3, G4 and G5. In service still G3, G4 and G5. . I do have owned some Vodafone own brand specials that were quiet better in batterlife and reliability before. Must admit that. And yeah those Samsung clamps did more then one week.... Different price tag.

Options

1 Posts

11-16-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

50 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 50
  • Message 130 of 317

2018-11-16, 9:35 AM

I have the same problem i soke with Lenovo hel line yesterday and got no help what so ever the lady said she had never heard of battery prblems after the orio upgrade, i told her to look on her own forum, she then said she would senme a email with info which mite help, i have not recieved any email and will be calling them again today i may aswell throw this **bleep**ing phone in the bin......... yes it is a G5 fully charged last night and after 1 hour it tells me the battery has 6 hours left.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms