Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

73 Posts

11-11-2018

Netherlands

108 Signins

752 Page Views

• Views: 752
  • Message 131 of 317

Re: Battery Life problem after update

2018-11-16, 9:45 AM

Got my G5 updated with Oreo for 5 days already. Behaves very well. Better then on Nougat. Please remove/shutdown silly apps in the background waisting battery time. Only brand new  motos with no additional apps will run 2 days on battery. Haven't seen 3 days since I bought my G2. Everage mobile does barely a day whatever brand. Check you don't have the flashlight on by accident. With Oreo the menu bar changed considerable.

Options

97 Posts

11-09-2008

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

117 Signins

460 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 460
  • Message 132 of 317

2018-11-16, 10:37 AM

I've experienced many of the problems others have reported here with the Oreo update, and with some thought, and some help from Motorola support, I have worked my way through to normality.

First of all, one thing I overlooked was that Oreo is a full operating system update and not just a small patch. My advice to users of Windows is that the best way to upgrade the operating system is to wipe the hard disk and start from scratch. Even Windows 7 to Windows 10 was not without issues for many, despite the huge amount of time Microsoft spent in testing.

So here is the update process I would recommend based on my experiences.

0. Record how much battery drain you experience, starting from 100%, overnight while the phone is not used

1. Uninstall any apps you have not used for a long time. You may need to do this anyway if your SD card is formatted as removeable and you don't have at least 1.2Gb free memory on the phone.

2. Backup anything on your SD card that is not already sync'ed to the cloud.  I have a 128Gb SD card with a lot of IT resources on it.

3. Run the Oreo update and check that the phone is basically operational after it completes.

4. Go into your APN settings and make a note of them, as it's very unlikely that your phone service provider will see the phone as new and upload the necessary APN configurations to get you connected back to the internet.

5. DO A FACTORY RESET.  This is the only way to ensure that all crap software is removed and your phone is back to factory default. As with windows, phone operating systems do gather a load of app residues that cannot be cleared up any other way..

6. Format your SD card as this will also verify it is fast enough and still working properly. Keep it as removeable in case its speed performance is marginal as this can cause errors if it is formatted as internal and is running any part of the operating system.

7. Restore your APN configurations and make sure you can use Wifi and 3g/4g     The factory reset also resets all the networking components and this gets around some of the WiFi problems users experience. You will need to re-enter the router password for your home wifi.

8. Go into the Google Play store and reinstall only those apps that you use regularly.

9, Record how much charge you lose overnight, starting at 100%, and compare with the figure from step 0.

10. Check the camera works - I had problems with this immediately after the Oreo update, but going into Safe mode solved it - I did not need to do anything else, but presumably some badly behaved app was unloaded and not reloaded after I came out of safe mode.

In summary, we need to remember that our phones are basically complex computers like our laptops and desktops, and we are expecting a lot if we install a brand new operating system and experience no teething problems.

Options

3 Posts

11-10-2018

United States of America

6 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 133 of 317

2018-11-16, 15:33 PM

Dutchdragon57, I'm not sure why you keep posting in this thread. I'm glad that you don't have this problem and that you have had positive experiences with your phones/support/etc. That isn't relevant to our current discussion.

For the rest of you, good news! (fingers crossed) My phone seems to be back to normal, although as the issue was intermittent before, I am anxious about its return. But so far, so good.

I can't be certain what fixed the problem, but the last thing I tried was booting into Safe Mode, uninstalling all updates to Play Services and Play Store, then rebooting and letting auto-update run and update all apps. I still had the battery problem at that point, but then it seemed to go away after one more charge/reboot cycle. Now the battery life is not only back to normal but maybe even better than before. I never did a full factory data reset.

Obviously Motorola support has been highly disappointing during this whole thing, but I'm thankful for other community members that provided their experiences and suggestions.

Options

35 Posts

08-28-2014

United States of America

41 Signins

509 Page Views

• Views: 509
  • Message 134 of 317

2018-11-16, 16:00 PM
@Anomalous I've tried that more than once, had the same experience as you, but after a day, or so it returned back to battery life issues, but without the heat generating issues thankfully, and it now takes upwards of an hour for my phone to calculate how much time is remaining on my phone, and after taking my phone off charge 11 mins ago as of this post I'm already down to 98% battery life left. So good luck to you, but nothing I've tried so far as fully worked.
Options

3 Posts

11-10-2018

United States of America

6 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 135 of 317

2018-11-16, 16:21 PM

Sorry to hear that... Have you tried a factory reset as well? That's going to be my last resort if the issue comes back. Seems it has been effective for some but not all phones.

Options

35 Posts

08-28-2014

United States of America

41 Signins

509 Page Views

• Views: 509
  • Message 136 of 317

2018-11-16, 16:51 PM
@Anomalous, Yes I've done the factory reset, and sadly It was only a temp fix for the battery drain, but did help the heat issues as I stated before, but I should also note I've also ran into the WiFi drop out issues others have reported, and with it being worse if I'm at work, sense I've got multiple access points at home, and yes it's the phone, and not the WiFi access points themselves.
Options

73 Posts

11-11-2018

Netherlands

108 Signins

752 Page Views

• Views: 752
  • Message 137 of 317

2018-11-17, 18:58 PM

@anomolous,

I dont believe you read my postings carefully. The problem has been reported before on marshmallow and nougat ever before Oreo arrived. and not solemnly on motorolas. I solved the problem then as described without factory reset, rooting and no special fixes. Let hot batteries cool down! Furthermore this Oreo problem is not widely reported. Focus on that. And special ROMs are out of the question. Not only battery life has submerged in the past, the wifi problem also and other nasties screen related.

Options

43 Posts

06-09-2017

Czech Republic

105 Signins

568 Page Views

• Views: 568
  • Message 138 of 317

2018-11-21, 7:06 AM

In other words, does it mean that the update procedure takes several days or maybe weeks? :-O

I'm still on Nougat (Czech version) but I get update notifications very often (many times a day) which is really annoying. How can I stop those notifications?

EDIT: And NO!!! I'm not willing to go through factory reset since I don't want to spend several weeks on fine tuning my smarthone.

Options

43 Posts

06-09-2017

Czech Republic

105 Signins

568 Page Views

• Message 139 of 317

2018-11-21, 8:29 AM

Motorola always says "Do the factory reset". But, in all cases, where I

was facing problems with Lenovo Moto G5 Plus, there was no reason to do the factory reset. There are hidden features that produce problems, ie. these "features" should have beeen called BUGS!

Example: Time And Weather Widget. There was no need to make factory reset as recommended by Lenovo tech support. An easier way to resolve the problem is to switch battery saver mode off.

I do not recommend factory reset unless you want to spend several days on fine tuning your phone... to get back to previous settings.

Options

43 Posts

06-09-2017

Czech Republic

105 Signins

568 Page Views

• Message 140 of 317

2018-11-21, 8:33 AM

wrote:

Got my G5 updated with Oreo for 5 days already. Behaves very well. Better then on Nougat. Please remove/shutdown silly apps in the background waisting battery time. Only brand new  motos with no additional apps will run 2 days on battery. Haven't seen 3 days since I bought my G2.

Everage mobile does barely a day whatever brand. Check you don't have the flashlight on by accident. With Oreo the menu bar changed considerable.

I totally do NOT agree with you. If the phone was performing well with Nougat it should perform well in Oreo, too!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms