Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

73 Posts

11-11-2018

Netherlands

108 Signins

752 Page Views

  • Posts: 73
  • Registered: ‎11-11-2018
  • Location: Netherlands
  • Views: 752
  • Message 141 of 317

Re: Battery Life problem after update

2018-11-21, 8:59 AM

@streamline,

 

Obviously you have not read my postings carefully either. Main storyline is that reported problems have been there on marshmallow and nougat also and in that might there is no reason to assume they are Oreo related. I suggested cures .I do oppose factory reset and custom ROMs . My Oreo update was successful and battery life increased on my G5. As promised in update details. So where you get the idea I had a non reliable phone on marshmallow and nougat. I went out solve the problem as described. Didn't even call Motorola. In these postings I see no mention of the first ever persistent bug  one should notice, failing to recognize the inserted SD card until 2nd reboot. Interesting. Only today's security fix update did not produce that one.

Reply
Options

97 Posts

11-09-2008

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

117 Signins

460 Page Views

  • Posts: 97
  • Registered: ‎11-09-2008
  • Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 460
  • Message 142 of 317

Re: Battery Life problem after update

2018-11-21, 9:27 AM

Just to update.  I had several of the "issues" with the OREO update, and I also knew I had too many apps on the phone that I seldom, if ever, used. So I opted for a factory reset as the simplest and quickest way to clear all the cr@p off my phone.  After the reset, I just replaced the apps I knew I wanted to use on a regular basis, restored backed up content to my SD card, configured my preferred settings and all was once again good.  If I go to bed at 10pm with a fully charged phone, and then check it at 8am, it still has 85% charge. Much better than before the reset.  Yes, a factory reset does involve a bit of work, but I would argue that you can actually waste a lot of time trying to fix issues that ends up wasting a lot more time than a reset.

Reply
Options

43 Posts

06-09-2017

Czech Republic

105 Signins

568 Page Views

  • Posts: 43
  • Registered: ‎06-09-2017
  • Location: Czech Republic
  • Views: 568
  • Message 143 of 317

Re: Battery Life problem after update

2018-11-21, 9:36 AM

 wrote:

@streamline,

 

Obviously you have not read my postings carefully either. Main storyline is that reported problems have been there on marshmallow and nougat also and in that might there is no reason to assume they are Oreo related. I suggested cures .I do oppose factory reset and custom ROMs . My Oreo update was successful and battery life increased on my G5. As promised in update details. So where you get the idea I had a non reliable phone on marshmallow and nougat. I went out solve the problem as described. Didn't even call Motorola. In these postings I see no mention of the first ever persistent bug  one should notice, failing to recognize the inserted SD card until 2nd reboot. Interesting. Only today's security fix update did not produce that one.


Pls, see what I was answering to - the quoted text.

Reply
Options

73 Posts

11-11-2018

Netherlands

108 Signins

752 Page Views

  • Posts: 73
  • Registered: ‎11-11-2018
  • Location: Netherlands
  • Views: 752
  • Message 144 of 317

Re: Battery Life problem after update

2018-11-21, 9:44 AM

Uninstalling crap from the phone is just a few finger swipes, not hours of work. You can't store that many apps on a Moto. So we are getting to the bottom of it. Stray gone battery consuming apps not compatible with Oreo that can be better erased or perhaps updated. Mind you I have flashed some Android in my lifetime to joke about for a hobby. So yep I know what can happen rooting and introducing custom ROMs. Never used my business phone for this. Factory resets are useful when you have been carefull on storing your data or as described in my previous posting have backed to PC if not in google drive stored. I would not rely on titanium. I use that on play around Android TV boxes.

Reply
Options

73 Posts

11-11-2018

Netherlands

108 Signins

752 Page Views

  • Posts: 73
  • Registered: ‎11-11-2018
  • Location: Netherlands
  • Views: 752
  • Message 145 of 317

Re: Battery Life problem after update

2018-11-21, 10:03 AM

@streamline,

 

Wrong quoted thread I assume?, And again do read before you answer, makes no sense. I am trying to get people aware how to fix battery problem if it ever was there. Distinguish between battery, firmware and software, 3 separate items already. Or 4 , a bad charger. Just rebooting can help sometimes.

Reply
Options

43 Posts

06-09-2017

Czech Republic

105 Signins

568 Page Views

  • Posts: 43
  • Registered: ‎06-09-2017
  • Location: Czech Republic
  • Views: 568
  • Message 146 of 317

Re: Battery Life problem after update

2018-11-21, 10:36 AM

 wrote:

@streamline,

 

Wrong quoted thread I assume?, And again do read before you answer, makes no sense. I am trying to get people aware how to fix battery problem if it ever was there. Distinguish between battery, firmware and software, 3 separate items already. Or 4 , a bad charger. Just rebooting can help sometimes.



Reboot vs Factory reset? These are totally different stories.

Reply
Options

2 Posts

11-21-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

12 Signins

70 Page Views

  • Posts: 2
  • Registered: ‎11-21-2018
  • Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 70
  • Message 147 of 317

Re: Battery Life problem after update

2018-11-21, 12:54 PM

I contacted Moto as I was debating whether I should update to Oreo and I'm getting reminders sent on the hour ! 

They said they didn't think there were any issues after update.. but advised that I should perform a factory data reset... which I think is a drastic step as it deletes everything I've setup on my phone, apps, contacts, photos etc

Your comments have been useful in helping me decide.

On reflection I think I'll leave the phone as it is.... 

Anyone know how I can stop the umpteen messages to update?

Reply
Options

43 Posts

06-09-2017

Czech Republic

105 Signins

568 Page Views

  • Posts: 43
  • Registered: ‎06-09-2017
  • Location: Czech Republic
  • Views: 568
  • Message 148 of 317

Re: Battery Life problem after update

2018-11-21, 14:44 PM

 wrote:

I contacted Moto as I was debating whether I should update to Oreo and I'm getting reminders sent on the hour ! 

They said they didn't think there were any issues after update.. but advised that I should perform a factory data reset... which I think is a drastic step as it deletes everything I've setup on my phone, apps, contacts, photos etc

Your comments have been useful in helping me decide.

On reflection I think I'll leave the phone as it is.... 

Anyone know how I can stop the umpteen messages to update?


I strictly disagree with factory reset. Lenovo has messed up the update they have to fix it. There's no other way.

 

P.S. My next smartphone WILL NOT BE LENOVO!

Reply
Options

97 Posts

11-09-2008

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

117 Signins

460 Page Views

  • Posts: 97
  • Registered: ‎11-09-2008
  • Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 460
  • Message 149 of 317

Re: Battery Life problem after update

2018-11-21, 15:29 PM

No manufacturer can ensure any update is compatible with the millions of different configurations out there. Best thing to do is to buy a phone from Samsung as they never updated anything when I had their phones, and then you have no issues with factory reset.

Reply
Options

73 Posts

11-11-2018

Netherlands

108 Signins

752 Page Views

  • Posts: 73
  • Registered: ‎11-11-2018
  • Location: Netherlands
  • Views: 752
  • Message 150 of 317

Re: Battery Life problem after update

2018-11-21, 15:45 PM

@EdT

 

You make sense. Useful postings. My oldest son got an iPhone 4S back then, first smartphone. Talking updates and battery life. Apple does not care about any customer. Motorola/Lenovo allways did. Besides it are affordable mobiles .  Dont think you can use it more then 2 years Regular battery life and out of date become quickly a issue. If one wants battery life dream back to days of old Samsung clamshells retailing between 10 and 30 euros... And not continuously on standby. Never done a factory reset on a Moto. Did on other brands. Basically an update becomes a factory reset .

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms