Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

97 Posts

11-09-2008

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

117 Signins

460 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 460
  • Message 151 of 317

Re: Battery Life problem after update

2018-11-21, 16:02 PM

I've been in the "IT" industry since 1975 - Apple would not even be here if Bill Gates had not funded them with millions of dollars when they made a few bad decisions. Once Steve Jobs returned, it turned Apple around, but now he is gone, the company may not survive in the long term as there is no one with the vision to replace him.  I have a lot of time for Motorola but am unsure about Lenovo and I am not convinced that Motorola benefitted from being acquired by Lenovo. There is a lot of similarity between phones and computers these days and I find that the lessons I learned in diagnosing problems on desktops and laptops apply just as much to phones.  It is often forgotten that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line (ignoring any theories about hyperspace), and sometimes a factory reset is the easiest and quickest path to a working phone. After all, can you guarantee that all your current apps are able to work with a new operating system?  It's like trying to run 16 bit apps on Windows 10.

Options

73 Posts

11-11-2018

Netherlands

108 Signins

752 Page Views

• Views: 752
  • Message 152 of 317

2018-11-21, 16:32 PM

@EdT

Again you make sense, I have 8 years less on the IT road and seen things claimed by Microsoft and Apple not their invention. Upgrading to a new OS will mean you might lose apps for incompatibility and as said behaving strange behaviour. At times you should have noticed a Moto voluntarily deletes apps. Never figured out really why. A Moto as a bug also starts voluntarily apps, extremely noticeable on a G4 which developed a so-called ghost touch screen under certain light conditions. Fixed under warranty. Majority of phones handed to me with problems are iPhones. I know of nobody around with Moto problems except for the problems I had, and these phones still sell well. Next time I will ask one of Europe's largest resellers how many came back with an Oreo problem. Yes and battery drainage might be an issue, but not related to Motorola and Oreo.

Options

43 Posts

06-09-2017

Czech Republic

105 Signins

568 Page Views

• Views: 568
  • Message 153 of 317

2018-11-21, 17:40 PM

wrote:

@EdT

Yes and battery drainage might be an issue, but not related to Motorola and Oreo.

IMHO, it's Lenovo who is fully responsible for the update.

Options

73 Posts

11-11-2018

Netherlands

108 Signins

752 Page Views

• Message 154 of 317

2018-11-21, 18:46 PM

@streamline,

Start reading this posting.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/Worst-battery-life-after-april-update/m-p/4102054

This was before Oreo!!!

The given recover recipe is generic for all Android's. For the advanced.

Buying another mobile not from lenovo might work for you.

I had lot experience reflashing dead Android's on custom ROMs. Sometimes works with features missing, like wifi or Bluetooth. Downgraded iPhones also. Problem with custom ROMs is that you don't know who built them . Had a PC toolkit once to build my own. For you I advise to shop for a "better" brand . 

Options

73 Posts

11-11-2018

Netherlands

108 Signins

752 Page Views

• Message 155 of 317

2018-11-21, 19:00 PM

For the real desperate and understanding public, I truly disrecommend but there are instructions like these. This particular one requires knowledge of the Spanish language. You might check YouTube for other versions.

https://youtu.be/oftQaezfOIY

I do stress the fact I have no connections with maker of the video nor do I warrant the outcome of the venture. Downgrading back to Nougat. But yep I exercised these tricks on earlier Android versions and TV boxes. Motivation dead bricked box or trying this. Voids warranty . Here is an english spoken YouTube: https://youtu.be/XmKg84IXEbo

Options

2 Posts

07-17-2016

India

24 Signins

148 Page Views

• Views: 148
  • Message 156 of 317

2018-11-22, 19:34 PM

Battery draining fast after update to Oreo 8.1

Nougat 7.0 getting screen on time 9-10 hours after update oreO only 3-3 half hour i updated week ago plz give me any solution i need full day battery i can't charge every 3 hours

Options

73 Posts

11-11-2018

Netherlands

108 Signins

752 Page Views

• Message 157 of 317

2018-11-22, 21:01 PM

@abdulrahim

Nobody can give the solution for your particular case. You might want to try any of the solutions given in this thread. Starting with the safest going to the most dearing if previous fails. 

If you have warranty still, a factory reset and no result , I would ask a service ticket from Motorola. If no technical orientated person for other steps you might seek assistant from a person having experience with other suggested steps. The .most dreaded is trying to downgrade back to Nougat. If you read carefull some postings made in this thread already there are enough starting points. First is removing draining apps which you can detect under the battery option in setup. Throw away until better behaviour, if heating battery install a cooling app. Have patience between steps. If this not work do factory reset. If that not work reboot to clear system cache. By the volume down power on method. Then comes moment if warranty to call motorola. If still no result and you got somebody willing and able to perform a downgrade to nougat. Try that.

If still unsatisfied, buy and migrate to what you believe is a better phone. There are some options different but I don't believe in rooting, custom ROM etcétera. But if before buying another one ended up with a bricked phone and motorola is not happy to fix. There are plenty custom ROMs flashing students around you might approach try to revive her. A lot of the boys succeed in reviving after you donated your phone for free and went crying to shop for a new phone. I think this is a fair posting. You  cannot demand that Motorola does an OTA update for every Motorola around that might not be affected by your particular problem and have their phones damaged with unsuitable solutions. Because it is unclear how many, whose phone is affected, which motherboard , configuration or silly apps had. Mine is running fine. Want no damaging fix pushed down my throat because 100 motorolas on 100.000 did not respond well to Oreo update for whatever reason. And I don't think Motorola will feel like doing that unless 99.900 phones are all affected. About the true story. Think very well. Before drastic, get an experienced hand in your neighbourhood. Plenty around. Don't need be Motorola experts. It is like 100.000 inhabitants in a town and a 100 get sick after something changed. Now local authorities will not go out trying to force down medicine to all 100.000 , will they?Nor will they held be responsable. When the numbers increase to very significant levels they might. I had like said these problems long before Oreo and solved them. So not supporting the big Motorola conspiracy theory trying to convince me that I urgently need to go out and buy an iPhone. My battery life improved after the Oreo update. But then I kept my phone today clean after earlier battery problems before  Oreo. I know people with expensive iPhones enduring the same for same reasons. I gave my youngest a very cheap Vodafone Turbo with KitKat I picked up for 80 euros then. After he rejected it, I used it extensively as a spare and the bloody limited phone still after 4 years of abuse gave 5 days battery life. So what is in a game? Apple admits pushing iOS updates down the line that strangle older iPhones butt after public jelling subsidized cheaper battery replacements. In the end those batteries are not final cure...

It is unclear how many with what configuration from what production lot or origine might be affected and if they were intended to sell to the particular market in the part of the world were the OTA update was meant for. Phones come from strange routes sometimes. Like other devices. And yep sometimes software, silly apps can mess up a PC or phone pretty bad. Been there. Was this a true overall Oreo problem I would not be posting in this thread but negotiating with motorola/Lenovo for a decent solution. They actually do when fair request. Dealt twice before. With apple after a lot iphones4 failing wifi after update, chip damaged it was more tedious and I had my big reseller convince apple to replace all affected iphones4. in this case not all were affected, because most apple users do not update after previous incidents and wait or skip certain updates. For Motorola I never needed a big reseller to obtain warranty repair. Not observing 99.900 failed units yet. Reporting to Motorola if you have the problem is vital so they can count significant numbers and determine which fail and possibly come up with a cure for those. Posting in this thread is solemnly informative.

Options

2 Posts

11-08-2018

United States of America

7 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 158 of 317

2018-11-22, 23:51 PM

Just upgraded to oreo few days back. No battery performance degradation noticed. Phone runs very smooth. Battery life seems to be equal or better. 

Options

73 Posts

11-11-2018

Netherlands

108 Signins

752 Page Views

• Message 159 of 317

2018-11-23, 0:41 AM

@vaibhav,

This is the smooth improved behaviours many have after Oreo update. Nevertheless for the unfortunate, not satisfied I gave some procedures. Get the feeling they are not read well and ridiculous demands are made. .

Yes and it helps that lot more people  had a successfully Oreo update to make people think. So we get to the bottom of this problem. How many yes/no and specific on type/version. Until date this info lacks against number of units out in the field.

So yes tell if all went OK. Only complainers distort the picture. There are about 70 million Moto G mobiles sold out in the world. That is number we are talking about when determining if Motorola is bad brand against handful complainers. 

Options

1 Posts

11-23-2018

India

3 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 160 of 317

Re: Moto g5 plus problem after Oreo update

2018-11-23, 13:22 PM

I am facing the same issue after OS update. Applications are lagging. Battery draining and lot more.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms