Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

27 Posts

09-11-2017

India

37 Signins

155 Page Views

• Views: 155
  • Message 281 of 317

Re: Battery Life problem after update persistent

2019-01-12, 15:45 PM

hello Edt

thank you for considering my case !

I will try to give every information...

1. does the problem pre-dates ! - I think yes but I never noticed it till now when the battery % starts decreasing 1 per minute of browsing, which I do most on the phone at work.

2. I bought on first date of it's launch in India.. which is I believe was in march'17

3. yes I use original charger and cable... though the phone been in two accidents while charging : the charging cable gets stuck in something and gets snatched away from the phone which made the USB port in the phone a bit loose.

4. It does shows 100% charge whenever I charges it, thatst why I was wondering how it showed last fully charged since 93 days...

5. Yes I consider myself a hard user because I don't use laptop for things that came be done over phone, which mostly includes YouTube for hours(and hours sometimes means a battery from 100 to 20%, please don't judge ?), watching anime on mobile ... sometimes a season at time... though never played heavy games... the largest game on my device, I guess, would be clash royale.

6. I never charged my phone overnight ! I always charge it consciously and it does gets charged in around 2hours though it does started taking more time at the end nowadays ( for the last 5%)

7. I did factory reset my phone in safe mode. Didn't logged into my accounts for a while. when I login I unticked the option that asked to install the apps..though I did backup my other data and settings stored.

The battery problem is still persistent. As I was writing this post, in the meantime, it fell from 98% to 92% .

I haven't installed any app on the device yet, just updated the stock apps.

If I miss anything that is worth noting please let me know I will promptly reply..

Thank you once again for the time and help.

Options

27 Posts

09-11-2017

India

37 Signins

155 Page Views

• Message 282 of 317

2019-01-12, 15:48 PM

Also let me know If I followed the instructions correctly or not...

Options

27 Posts

09-11-2017

India

37 Signins

155 Page Views

• Message 283 of 317

2019-01-12, 16:19 PM

can you suggest me another good browser instead of chrome because I have been using YouTube with speakers and the battery usage is, I guess, normal and unlike chrome.

Options

18 Posts

12-06-2018

United States of America

26 Signins

142 Page Views

• Views: 142
  • Message 284 of 317

Re: Battery Life problem after update

2019-01-12, 16:33 PM

Instructions of how new OS use the CPU to process is different by the old OS.

Explained this before with all the details.

Options

97 Posts

11-09-2008

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

117 Signins

460 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 460
  • Message 285 of 317

2019-01-12, 20:41 PM

Try Firefox browser. Chrome seems to be very CPU and memory intensive, on my PC, when I have many tabs open, so no reason not to expect similar issues on phone.

Try another factory reset without using safe mode. If still same issue, consider replacing your phone battery. I generally have found that phone batteries start losing capacity after two years. Also try leaving on charge overnight.

Options

73 Posts

11-11-2018

Netherlands

108 Signins

752 Page Views

• Views: 752
  • Message 286 of 317

2019-01-12, 21:07 PM

Right on EdT,

Another kudo. Should we go that far to remove the Backcover. It is that G5 have ease to replace batteries. I have a never used spare one I already have . But on a G2 that was a whole exercise voiding warranty because they would die suddenly due to some fault of the motherboard. Reviving dead motos, another art. Happens at times when left bad charged for too long.  Anyhow Motorola fixed that one on warranty still without problems. Like saying, folks have not seen real problems yet. And no one reporting flashing one back to nougat. So nobody is that desperate I guess.  Would it be me, out of warranty, I would flash the patient same day. Would not bring anything, like said nougat gives the same problem. I would buy a new Moto with warranty again I guess. Because they stand up to ease of use, price, quality, service and support. Watertight, screen does not Scratch. If they were that bad they would not be all over the market place. Spares for motorolas are not on open market like for apple and Samsung, because generally not needed. When I can buy a battery, screen on every corner then they must be needed in high volume. Worst phones... If you are lucky you can get a battery non original and a original phone cover. Getting a spare non original battery for a G5 is a venture already. Very Limited Market. Took me 2 months. Wanted for travel reasons. Like that chap somewhere in the Amazon region of Ecuador. 

Options

27 Posts

09-11-2017

India

37 Signins

155 Page Views

• Message 287 of 317

2019-01-13, 6:47 AM

thank you edt for the suggestions!

I will put the phone for charge overnight...

and have downloaded firefox...

will keep posted !

also I can't change the battery bcoz g5 plus has non removable battery and I can't check it manually ! I have to go to a service centre for it !

Options

73 Posts

11-11-2018

Netherlands

108 Signins

752 Page Views

• Views: 752
  • Message 288 of 317

2019-01-13, 8:45 AM

To do it yourselves this is procedure:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Motorola+Moto+G5+Plus+Battery+Replacement/100154 

For you I recommend having it done in service center. Batteries are never warranty. The cost of a G2 was 100 euros.

Not interesting. I did that myselves.

A normal G5 is just open back cover and exchange but a G5 plus is whole different game.

Ask estimate and consider going for a new G6. I seriously mean that. Because there is no guarantee your problem will be fixed by battery change. 

Like my friend exchanged battery on iphone6 s and battery life got worse.

Check for a model where battery can be easily replaced . But maybe the service in India is cheaper. But evaluate cost on long and short run and risk of outcome. To me and EdT your phone is a black box. Bring it in let you give an estimate before repair and then decide. I would use official Motorola service then get some reassurance on what they found and I would not bring her in stating that battery needs replacement. Can be other fault.

Options

97 Posts

11-09-2008

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

117 Signins

460 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 460
  • Message 289 of 317

2019-01-13, 9:27 AM

So it depends on the owner. I am comfortable taking mobile phones apart and there is usually something to assist you on the internet, either on YouTube or iFixit. Then it's just a case of finding a replacement battery on eBay . Nevertheless, the battery may not be the issue as Dutch Dragon mentioned, so it's really a judgement you have to make as to whether it's worth risking a few dollars or whether buying a new phone is the answer.

Options

27 Posts

09-11-2017

India

37 Signins

155 Page Views

• Message 290 of 317

2019-01-13, 11:51 AM

I too think that it is not a battery (physical) problem because since I have stopped using the chrome... the battery is not giving up on me like it used to... 

also the costing for original battery replacement would be great..like buying a new phone would be prudent..

I am sticking to it ...

Thank you Edt and dutch dragon for such helping and replying to me for so long just to solve my problem.. I really appreciate your inputs..

cheers guys..

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms