Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streamline
Serial Port
Views: 565
Message 241 of 291

Re: Battery Life problem after update

@Dutchdragon57 wrote:

This is the email you probably receive, and note it contains the exact instructions I and EdT gave before to you all, note the significant step to not enter you Gmail account right after factory reset and afterwards installing app by app and seeing which is causing problem, they are usual virus scanners and so-called optimizers:

Thank you for contacting Moto Lenovo.

Firstly we would recommend you to Back Up all your data, after that we advise you to try the following procedures; Safe Mode and Factory Reset.

BACK UP

SYNCHRONISE CONTACTS with your Gmail Account:

You can do this from Contacts: Contacts> Three dots in the top right corner > Accounts > Google

If your device is running in Marshmallow (Android 6.0):
Tap on the information that you want to be backed up (It should then be in green).
Tap on the three dots > Sync now

If your device is running in Lollipop (Android 5.0):
Tap on the email showed on the screen "....@gmail.com"
Tap on the information that you want to be backed up (It should be in green).
Tap on the three dots > Sync now

PICTURES:

- To Synchronise them with your Google account. Note: by doing this your pictures will be stored in the Cloud.

1. Tap on the Photos Application (Icon - coloured pinweel)
2. Tap on the three lines next to "photos" in the top left corner.
3. In the new menu > Tap on settings
4. Tap on Backup & sync
5. In this menu, we recommend to set up the settings as you wish and tap "Back up all". Once you have been synchronizing all the files, we suggest to check it on your personal Gmail account from a computer.

- If you do not wish to have your pictures in the Cloud, you can also connect your phone to a PC vía USB and just copy and paste any picture, video or music file from your phone into a file in your computer.

SAFE MODE

From Customer Care we do not recommend using applications such as antivirus, Cleaners, battery or system optimisers, nor launchers. These applications tend to interfere with the functions of the phone quite commonly and anyway they do not do anything we cannot do ourselves just by power cycling our phone.

Just follow the link to see what steps to follow.

https://motorola-global-en-uk.custhelp.com/app/home/device/motorola/moto-g5/topic/reset/safe-mode/1

FACTORY RESET

Just follow the link to see what steps to follow for the Factory Reset.

https://motorola-global-en-uk.custhelp.com/app/home/device/motorola/moto-g5/topic/reset/reset-to-fac...

When the phone finally turns on, the initial set up instructions will show. Please DO NOT introduce your Gmail, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT BACK UP YOUR SETTINGS AND APPLICATIONS from your Google account into your phone. The idea is to test the phone without anything interfering.

Once you finish the set up, if the device is working fine, please, follow the next steps:

- Tap on Settings > Tap on Back up & Reset > Turn off 'Automatic Restore' and turn off 'Back up my data'.

- Now you are ready to install your Gmail account, and test the device again.

- If everything keeps going right install your applications one by one testing the device each time you install one until you identify the one causing the problem. Then, uninstall this one application and simply power cycle your device.

I look forward to your reply.

You may receive a short survey following this e-mail. I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a few moments to fill this out to rate the support you have received today. Thank you for contacting Motorola-Lenovo.

For any further assistance or information please do not hesitate to contact us, quoting your Customer Reference number. We are reachable on xx-xxxxx to discuss the matter further with one of our experienced customer service agents. Please contact us anytime between the hours of 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday.

Kind regards,

(Compared to Windows) it's full reinstall of the system & all applicarions. I'm not willing to do anything like that, especially Factory Reset! I'm staying with Nougat. My wife too. ;-)

Witgit7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 549
Message 242 of 291

That is factory reset which I am not going to do. I will wait to see what they gonna come with for hot fix.

I had camera focus issue on close objects which it got fixed by the last 8.1 update.

I will wait. Meantime will check if I can or somebody can come with a solution.

Dutchdragon57
Punch Card
Views: 548
Message 243 of 291

@witgit7,

I do not have that similar problem. If you believe it is an issue you need to convince Moto/Lenovo and/or Google.

I do not own either of both companies.

Nor do I work there or have any relationship with them.

My battery charges quick and usage is between acceptable tolerances for what I use it. I had problems under Nougat and a sluggish phone. All that disappeared. Don't even use the fastest SD card after upgrade.

Witgit7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 546
Message 244 of 291

That is good and glad you don't have.

I share what I find and hopefully they pay attention to issue. I am looking for solution and people who have the same common problem on their phone to get or give help.

If you don't have, good luck. I am not expecting you personally to help me with it.

Dutchdragon57
Punch Card
Views: 542
Message 245 of 291

Would I compare this type of upgrade to windows or others, I know from long experience that clean installs are the best.

My own PC is an upgrade from win 7 to win 10. Since that is a system with a lot more stuff on it hard to start over there.

So I inherited a few bugs over would I have used a clean install. Factory reset for a mobile is not that big a venture if you know how to copy certain folders to cloud or PC. Getting apps back is lot easier and quicker then a PC. The day of Oreo update I factory resetted my old G4 and set her up in 30 minutes, just in case.

Longest was putting back my WhatsApp.

I totally cleaned out my G5 also before.

Witgit7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 536
Message 246 of 291

That is right but in my case I have lots of custom stuff+ I need this issue to get fixed. 

Hopefully they come with fix for this issue.

Streamline
Serial Port
Views: 529
Message 247 of 291

@Dutchdragon57 wrote:

Would I compare this type of upgrade to windows or others, I know from long experience that clean installs are the best.

My own PC is an upgrade from win 7 to win 10. Since that is a system with a lot more stuff on it hard to start over there.

So I inherited a few bugs over would I have used a clean install. Factory reset for a mobile is not that big a venture if you know how to copy certain folders to cloud or PC. Getting apps back is lot easier and quicker then a PC. The day of Oreo update I factory resetted my old G4 and set her up in 30 minutes, just in case.

Longest was putting back my WhatsApp.

I totally cleaned out my G5 also before.

Of, coure, clean installs are the best. But it takes ages to get all applications and settings to their previous state. Plus there's no warranty that everything will work the same way as before. I don't wanna invest plenty of time to end up with an unknown result. I'm not a beta-tester.

JesseKnows21548
Fanfold Paper
Views: 465
Message 248 of 291

For those with batery consumption issues:

I had high battery consumption (and hot phone) after installing 8.1. The "Advanced battery usage" report showed that the GPS was active even though I had not been using a GPS app.

I toggled Location off and on again in the quick options.

Power consumption was good after this toggling.

GPS works when needed. Actually better than expected; battery went down less than 5% with Cygic running and navigating (screen and GPS active) for 40 minutes.

Same misbehavior and same solution after installing the security update.

Give Location a try.

BentHammer
Blue Screen Again
Views: 295
Message 249 of 291

I received notification last week that the 8.1 update is now avaiable for my G5+.

After reading about all the problems everyone is having with this update I am very hesitant to install the update.  Is anyone from Lenovo looking into these problems so that they can provide a permanect solution and a patch for their customers?

Does anyone know how to disable the reoccuing update notification until Lenovo provides a new improved update to correct all the problems?

EdT
Punch Card
Views: 290
Message 250 of 291

Not everyone is having problems and in my case, where I did have problems, a factory reset sorted out all the issues.

When I bought a couple of the G5s, I noted that the reviews mentioned that Motorola/Lenovo were using a mostly standard release of Android with very little modification, if any, from the Google release.

If that information was correct, then it's not really down to Motorola to fault find the release, but Google itself.

Probably the most relevant observation from other users is that the number of cores involved in basic operations is higher in V8.x than in V7.x and of course this is going to have an effect on battery life, but I doubt that anyone but Google can modify the core handling within Android without risking seriously breaking the software.

The other factor is that the apps you have installed on your phone at the moment may not be fully compatible with Oreo, and in my case, having performed the factory reset, I did not replace many of the apps as there was no point in cluttering my phone with software I had not used in the last year. They are still there in Google Playstore if I want to restore them at a future date.

I charge my phone once a day but it seldom drops below 30% unless I have spent the evening playing games on it.

Top Kudoed Authors