Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 490
Message 51 of 248

Re: Battery life has shrunk drastically

Hi Everyone,

I recommend doing Factory data reset without restoring your apps. After that, do a Battery Calibration. Press and hold the power button for at least 7 seconds until it forces a reboot > Plug into the charger > Charge to 100% > Leave on the charger for at least an additional hour after charging the phone.

After performing all those steps. Please observe the phone the whole day without installing any third-party apps, until we notice any improvement. It's better to set up as new. 

Note: If you have important files please make sure to back them up before doing the reset to make sure you won't lose any files. 

If the issue persists then we recommend sending the phone for repair. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

commodorefan64
Punch Card
Views: 484
Message 52 of 248

Been there done that, far as the calibration.
So now we have to all send in the phones, and get a refurbished phone instead of a new one as some people are reporting?
When I had issues with my Moto G2 having a bad charge circuit causing a boot loop I was sent a brand new phone that worked flawless till it was time to upgrade. Something smells off here if ya ask me.
BiggieD
Blue Screen Again
Views: 520
Message 53 of 248

Re: Battery Life problem after update

I'm having same issue updated to Oreo 8.10 my battery drainage is awful.  Please please come out with an update that will fix the issue.  My phone is only 5 months old.  I feel like smashing it...  Before the update this phone was awesome. 

Any idea how long it will take to fix this issue?

commodorefan64
Punch Card
Views: 516
Message 54 of 248

This is what was a moto rep just posted on another post, but I'm not personally buying it.
‎10-24-2018 03:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

I recommend doing Factory data reset without restoring your apps. After that, do a Battery Calibration. Press and hold the power button for at least 7 seconds until it forces a reboot > Plug into the charger > Charge to 100% > Leave on the charger for at least an additional hour after charging the phone.

After performing all those steps. Please observe the phone the whole day without installing any third-party apps, until we notice any improvement. It's better to set up as new.

Note: If you have important files please make sure to back them up before doing the reset to make sure you won't lose any files.

If the issue persists then we recommend sending the phone for repair.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support
jjp2122
Paper Tape
Views: 477
Message 55 of 248

Found this thread because I too am having battery issues. Prior to installing the August 1, 2018 security patch I could routinely get at least 1.5 days with my normal usage patterns. Around the time I installed the August 1, 2018 security patch the battery life has declined dramatically. Today I've already had to charge my phone once and I'm already down to 13% again and it's not even 3:00pm yet, and my usage has not been any different than typical. 

I've tried rebooting, clearing cache through recovery mode, clearing cached data through the settings/storage/internal shared storage menu, and removing the Outlook app. 

It seems that many people can trace this issue back to installation of the August security patch. For that reason, it seems that having to pay for repair on the phone is not an acceptable solution. Are there any other options? 

oxfat
Paper Tape
Views: 466
Message 56 of 248

I tried clearing cache and rebooting a couple of hours ago.  So far I have gone from 72% to 70% battery in two hours (with no use).  This is looking promising.   -ox

jjp2122
Paper Tape
Views: 467
Message 57 of 248

Thanks - I'm definitely interested to hear how it turns out. After I cleared cache and rebooted I went from 15% to 4% in about 25 minutes.

commodorefan64
Punch Card
Views: 465
Message 58 of 248

@oxfat I hope it fixes yours, but it won't last, it's a software bug causing the chip that handles charging to report the incorrect battery life status, and is also causing the CPU to clock to it's max(according to CPUX). I've done every fix suggested on here, and then some, and they only end up as temp fixes. 

aaopt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 636
Message 59 of 248

Recommending factory data reset is a fairly standard thing for tech support to do, but I consider it unprofessional. It's extremely disruptive and not so likely to help.

OTOH although I did have these battery issues for a few days after applying the August update, my phone seems OK now. I did NOT do factory data reset. I did reset cache and Play Services, as recommended by others here, because those steps don't hurt much. Neither one seemed to help, at least not right away, but things seem mostly OK now.

Pistolpete1
Paper Tape
Views: 444
Message 60 of 248

Are you serious?  You guys have issued an update that has caused this massive problem to the G5's and your solution is a factory reset, no use of 3rd party apps for a day, and if that doesn't work to send the phone in for repair?  I will NEVER buy another Lenovo phone.

Top Kudoed Authors