Did you mean: 
Highlighted
FlorinFGS
Not applicable
Views: 1,484
Message 1 of 15

Big problem with Moto G5 Plus

Hello everyone!

I have a Moto G5 Plus 3GB RAM and 32 GB storage running Android 7.0 with the latest update of June 1, 2018.

Everything was fine until three days ago. Three days ago I opened Google Play and found out that some apps had updates available. As always I choosed "Update All". After some minutes I noticed that my phone  shut down. I tried to turn it on but unsuccesfully. I managed to turn on the phone after I long pressed Vol Down + Power.

Since then I have all sort of problems with the phone:

• it restarts randomly and after that it takes a lot of time to start again ( it remains stuck for minutes at the image "Motorola a Lenovo Company"
  • if I try to update the apps through Google Play it downloads the update but remains stuck at installing than restarts

Please help me, I'm desperate.

Texasheat
Not applicable
Views: 1,471
Message 2 of 15

Re: Big problem with Moto G5 Plus

Good news for both of us  You're not alone. Same exact issue. Same exact time frame. Infact, came here to see if anyone see have complained about it yet.

Updates stall at downloading or installing. Phone reboots randomly. Often during YouTube and occasionally when browsing. Hangs at startup. Have to hard reset. Phone has been great for a year otherwise.

At first I was concerned it was a corrupt storage issue. Did factory reset. Safe mode. sd card. No sd card. No help. Disabled apps. Wiped cache in recovery mode a hundred times.

Phone operated fine after a factory reset. Then I *believe* a forced Google update came in. I believe it was Google assistant as a prompt was there after a reboot that happened when I wasn't around. Don't quote me. I am certain it's a software issue and now even more so since someone has an identical issue in the exact same time frame. Likely Google related considering the play store issue.

Agent_Nikh
Not applicable
Views: 1,306
Message 3 of 15

Hi FlorinFGS & Texasheat,

Welcome to Forums,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Request you to check these below checkpoints & let us know.

1. Tap on Settings>>Apps & notifications>>App info>>Google Play services>>Storage>>Clear cache.

2.Tap on Settings>>Apps & notifications>>App info>>Google Play store>>Storage>>Clear data and reboot the device.

Now, try to update the apps & check does issue persists.

Thanks & Regards
Nikh
Lenovo-Moto Support

Texasheat
Not applicable
Views: 1,297
Message 4 of 15

I actually forgot to mention I tried that as well. No luck.

I should point out that this can't be done easily as the storage is always "computing", permanently, so the cache and data buttons are not pressable. I got lucky a few times after bootup and was able to do it.

I noticed the apps are "always" computing since this issue started. When they aren't, and shoe thr storage pace, everything works fine.

FlorinFGS
Not applicable
Views: 1,293
Message 5 of 15

I confirm the problem with "computing".

Texasheat
Not applicable
Views: 1,208
Message 6 of 15

I got the August security update, and even had an update for Google after, but the issue still remained. Would reboot almost hourly.

However, I believe I finally solved it. It hasnt rebooted in days. 

I removed a couple Apps, but i'm 90% sure it was Google Assistant acting up

Go to:

Google > Settings > Google Assistant > Settings (just set it up/reset it/whatever). Re-establishing it seems to correct an issue

Sebog
Not applicable
Views: 1,180
Message 7 of 15

Thanks Texasheat. I was having the same problem with removing cache, kept getting "computing". I uninstalled Google asst, rebooted, and everything returned to normal. Thanks again.

FlorinFGS
Not applicable
Views: 1,150
Message 8 of 15

The other day I performed a "Factory Reset" on my phone and for now my phone works fine.

I looked on my phone at "Apps" section and I can't find "Google Assistant" as a installed app on my phone.

FlorinFGS
Not applicable
Views: 1,149
Message 9 of 15

Did you find "Google Assistant" as a installed app on your phone?

I can't find it on my phone.

Texasheat
Not applicable
Views: 1,146
Message 10 of 15

Its just called "Google"

Factory reset worked for me too....for a day I believe. Then things got updated and problem persisted

Top Kudoed Authors