Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roamer
Punch Card
Views: 350
Message 1 of 5

Can't save photos to SD card or free up space by deleting

I'm having a real problem. Internal storage is full, mainly with photos. There is lots of space on my SD card but the camera settings don't give me the option of where to save them. It says Storage, Phone and this is greyed out so it doesn't respond when I tap it, so I can't move the photos across.

I've spent several hours deleting hundreds if not thousands of photos and videos from internal storage to create space, but it hasn't made the slightest difference. The amount of storage used by Google Photos is still 5.30GB although the photos have gone. I've emptied the bin and restarted the phone numerous times. I just can't understand it.

I'm on holiday just now but when I get home I'll download photos to my laptop. I can't do that now and I'm getting warnings that my phone is low on storage. No idea what to try next!

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 274
Message 2 of 5

Re: Can't save photos to SD card or free up space by deleting

Have the photos been backed up to Google Photos online?

Check here,

https://photos.google.com

When I backup my photos this way I use my Home or free WiFi to save phone data allowance.

If they have then go into Google photos app on your phone  3 bars top left>Settings> and first chooose Backup and sync to  make sure you save/sync them all and then choose Free up device storage.

Once you have them on the cloud at least you know they are safe and you can use them from there when you get home Smiley Happy

If still no good post back Smiley Happy

Roamer
Punch Card
Views: 229
Message 3 of 5

Thanks, yes they are backed up to Google. I don't want to remove all of them from my phone but it may be the only way to free up storage space as deleting manually makes absolutely no difference to the amount of space used. It's as if the phone doesn't know that the photos have gone. Hopefully the Free Up Space option will actually free up space! 

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 226
Message 4 of 5

@Roamer wrote:
Thanks, yes they are backed up to Google. I don't want to remove all of them from my p...

Not ideal but you can download what you want back on the phone to the SD card,

1. Open the Google Photos app .
  2. Select the photo you want to save to your SD card.
  3. Touch the options icon  > Download.
Highlighted
Roamer
Punch Card
Views: 120
Message 5 of 5

Final update - this may just help someone else who has the same problem.

I used the 'Free Up Space' option but the space used by Google Photos on internal storage still didn't change! It did clear a pile of space on the SD card though.

I then went to Storage, Internal Storage, Apps, Photos and deleted all data. That solved it!

Strangely, when I had looked at Google Photos earlier on my laptop, the bin still contained all the photos I had been deleting manually over the past few days, even though I had emptied the bin on my phone. I wonder if they were still there in the background somewhere? Emptying the Google Photos bin on the laptop didn't free up any space on the Google Photos app on the phone so who knows? 

Top Kudoed Authors