Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vinnysenpai
What's DOS?
Views: 3,566
Message 21 of 49

Re: Cast Screen Not Working On Moto G5 Plus

But it does work on MIA1, moreover it is Google's Android 1 device. You guys have some explaining to do.

Kevinus
What's DOS?
Views: 3,430
Message 22 of 49

So that's it? There are no other alternatives? I'm disappointed with this solution. This is also my first Moto gadget and mirroring my phone an important function I wanted. If this feature won't be modified then I guess this will be last Moto device. And I will others who want to purchase as well.

fetcher
Punch Card
Views: 3,423
Message 23 of 49

If your phone is rooted, try editing the file /system/build.prop (make a backup of this file first, just in case) and uncommenting the line that reads

persist.debug.wfd.enable=1

(remove the # mark from in front), then save and reboot the phone.

Afterwards, there should be a new checkbox option under Settings -> Display -> Cast -> 3-dots menu (upper right) marked "Enable Wireless Display".

Turning this on allows me to cast to certain Roku streaming players and Roku TVs. I'm not sure what else it might be compatible with, or why the option is disabled and hidden in the first place-- maybe it's still considered experimental?

It's probably not worth rooting just for this feature, but if you have done so for other reasons, enabling the wfd.enable flag may be worth a try.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,411
Message 24 of 49

@Kevinuswrote:

So that's it? There are no other alternatives? I'm disappointed with this solution. This is also my first Moto gadget and mirroring my phone an important function I wanted. If this feature won't be modified then I guess this will be last Moto device. And I will others who want to purchase as well.

Just make sure you don't buy Pixel, Nexus, or other devices that use stock android without modification to this feature. Google ships android this way. Some vendors enable additional cast features others don't. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Anhad
SCSI Port
Views: 3,388
Message 25 of 49

My Moto X (2nd gen) supported casting without Chromecast, why did it support then? Or did Google disabled it later?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,379
Message 26 of 49

@Anhadwrote:

My Moto X (2nd gen) supported casting without Chromecast, why did it support then? Or did Google disabled it later?

Google removed it in a version of android - 6x i believe. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Nandini72k
What's DOS?
Views: 3,144
Message 27 of 49

Cast works on the same LG TV on my husband's phone Moto X force but not on my phone (Moto g5 plus). Not sure how rectify this. Installed Mira cast bit still no go.

Any suggestions pls?

Vaibhav0
What's DOS?
Views: 3,001
Message 28 of 49

My friend have smartphone which has stock android, screen casting works perfectly on it. But me and my brother have Moto G5 plus and G5S plus and casting does not work on them, Why? MY FRIEND'S MOBILE ALSO HAS STOCK ANDROID.
fetcher
Punch Card
Views: 2,998
Message 29 of 49

The feature of casting to non-Chromecast devices is present in stock Android code, but Google has it turned off by default for some reason, since either Lollipop or Marshmellow (KitKat still had this switched on).  Enabling it is a trivial change to /system/build.prop (add or uncomment "persist.debug.wfd.enable=1" on a line by itself), but modifying that file requires root, which in turn requires unlocking your bootloader.

Maybe the maker of your friend's phone simply decided to make this config change the default.  For better or worse, Motorola tends to stick with Google defaults moreso than most vendors.

askanuj
Paper Tape
Views: 2,838
Message 30 of 49

Please Moto fix or update the cast screen problem... It's very awkward that all other companies are providing cast screen facility without any issue... Only Moto is doing hell nothing on this request....

Top Kudoed Authors