Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 895
Message 11 of 40

Re: Charging Issue

Hi ironcloudheelstriker,

Let's try another charger and let me know if you're still having intermittent charging. Also, Pease update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

heelstriker
Paper Tape
Views: 894
Message 12 of 40

I've tried all the different chargers and cables in the house.  They all worked fine before the update, and not afterwards. I can update my profile later. 

heelstriker
Paper Tape
Views: 890
Message 13 of 40

Also, I tried the procedure Ironcloud used, and I was able to charge 70% overnight . This is obviously a software issue caused by the OTA update that needs to be corrected soon if I'm ever going to buy another Moto.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 864
Message 14 of 40

Hi heelstriker,

Let's try doing the factory data reset (Settings > System > Reset > Factory Data Reset) without restoring your apps, we need to test this without apps reinstalled/restored. Note to back up files before resetting the phone to make sure you won't lose any of it. Let us know how it goes. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

heelstriker
Paper Tape
Views: 857
Message 15 of 40

We have already tried that technique based on the multiple forum threads of other people having this issue after the update.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 813
Message 16 of 40

Hi heelstriker,

Could you please send us a bug report, let's see what we can find on the report.

BUG REPORT FOR NORMAL ISSUE:
Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
Once the issue is reproduced: Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply.
Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the local time when you observed the behavior.

Also, kindly update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

And last, what is the make and model of your charger?

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

steved999
Fanfold Paper
Views: 793
Message 17 of 40

I wanted to add my phone to the list of those having charging issues, starting yesterday (Monday).  My last full charge was Friday night and I usually get two+ days on a full charge.

Yesterday morning with the battery down to 22%, I plugged in the phone using the charger that came with it and it charged up to 78% and then stopped and actually started to drain a little.  I left it plugged in for a few hours and the screen would come on and off as it tried to charge but couldn't.  I unplugged the charger and after a minute plugged it back it and would see the Turbo Power Connected message and it would appear to be charging.  After a minute, it would stop charging and try again.  If I leave it like this, the battery % would not increase.  I checked the battery settings and saw the message "Plugged in, can't charge right now".

I tried this over and over all afternoon using my charger and my wife's charger (same model phone) and got the same result.  Sometimes I would gain a couple of %, sometimes nothing.  I tried the charger for my old Moto G3 phone and it seemed to charge a couple of % before cutting off, but then would stop charging as well.  I tried this while the phone was on and while it was off.  When off, the charging icon would show, then after a few seconds the Turbo Power Connected message would appear and the screen would turn off.  Then the screen would turn back on within 30 seconds and it would repeat the cycle of attempted charging but without a gain in battery %.

Finally I took the USB portion of the charging cable and plugged it into my computer and it started charging with the message indicating that it was a "slow charge".  I can't recall the exact wording.  After about 2 hours it was charged to 100%.  I am waiting until the battery is closer to 50% before trying to charge the phone again to see if the problem still exists.  After 10 hours, two of which I was checking email and listening to podcasts, the battery is still at 87%, so there are no apps causing excessive drain and the battery is holding its charge as usual.

I am running Oreo 8.1.0 with the October 1, 2018 security patch.  I regularly clear the cache after each update and even did so yesterday in case that would help.

Steve

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 718
Message 18 of 40

Hi steved999,

Thank you for posting on this thread. Have you tried all of the suggested troubleshooting steps provided on this thread, including the factory data reset without restore? Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

steved999
Fanfold Paper
Views: 713
Message 19 of 40

Hi Rich,

Yes I now have.  I was reluctant to try that because it would not charge when off either, so it didn't appear to be an issue with any of the apps.

I see you locked my other posting in a new thread which has a lot more further detail and is more recent than my posting here.  What is the best way to add that extra detail to this thread as I can no longer edit my posting above?

Steve

Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 669
Message 20 of 40

Hi steved999,

You can post here the same message you posted on the blocked thread, I have read that though. Can you please send us a BUG report when you encountered the same charging error message? Instruction is given on the above post. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Top Kudoed Authors