Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

53 Posts

03-22-2017

India

160 Signins

1825 Page Views

• Views: 1825
  • Message 1 of 18

Fix Battery Drain Issue in Moto G5 Plus!

2017-06-02, 10:40 AM

I saw some complaints about abnormal battery drain on g5 plus(especially during standby; overnight drop) in forums. For some guys, the issue seems to have arised after the update.

Firstly, follow the official guidelines given here for improving battery life :

Tips to extend the battery life - Moto G Plus

If it didn't help, try this as a last resort :

How to force enable DOZE on Android 6.0 and above.

Disclaimer for method given above :

I tried this myself​ to make sure it wasn't a fake.

It worked on my phone (G5 plus). Also, it's not harmful in ANY way as it just toggles a Setting through command. Minimal ADB(Android Device Bridge) is used to issue commands to phone via PC and is safe to use. It's basically a stripped down version of Android SDK, just enough to get adb). If you're still skeptic, download and use the gigantic Android SDK but the end result remains the same.

The command basically forces the Doze mode irrespective of its current state so that you can be sure that Doze is activated.
This should help fix the standby battery drain issues since Doze is activated when the phone becomes idle (battery drop during standby indicates it's not being activated).
Although I've tried this method to ensure it's correct, my phone doesn't have this issue, so I can't whether this trick solves the issue.

If your phone has the issue, try it and let us know the result.

Hope it helps :smileyhappy:

Regards,
sas96
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 2 of 18

Re: Fix Battery Drain Issue in Moto G5 Plus!

2017-06-02, 12:10 PM

Sorry, but I removed your link. 

The site is suspicious looking to say the least, but in addition it is having users download a bunch of EXE files in order to run ADB. 

Doze should be enabled on the G5 - if users are having battery drain at night it is due to apps running and not properly behaving. Most G5 phones have no problems, so there is no reason to have users launch ADB and run commands.

If you want to post the command you ran that is fine, and if users want to download and install the Android SDK to get ADB and mess with their phones, that is fine too. But links to questionable exe files without knowing the original source is to risky. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

53 Posts

03-22-2017

India

160 Signins

1825 Page Views

• Message 3 of 18

2017-06-02, 13:13 PM

wrote:

The site is suspicious looking to say the least, but in addition it is having users download a bunch of EXE files in order to run ADB. 

Doze should be enabled on the G5 - if users are having battery drain at night it is due to apps running and not properly behaving. Most G5 phones have no problems, so there is no reason to have users launch ADB and run commands.

If you want to post the command you ran that is fine, and if users want to download and install the Android SDK to get ADB and mess with their phones, that is fine too. But links to questionable exe files without knowing the original source is to risky. 

You're calling minimal adb a bunch exe and site looks suspicious right away without actually looking into anything?
Minimal adb is very safe and is used instead of downloading entire Android SDK to just run adb. How irresponsible are you?
All the folks at XDA use minimal adb, recommend using it and here you are, saying it's "suspicious" without actually knowing what it is. Please look at the site again, test it if you don't believe me and then come to conclusions. That's the least you could do as moderator at this forum.
Thank you for understanding!

Regards,
sas96
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 4 of 18

2017-06-02, 13:28 PM

wrote:

wrote:

You're calling minimal adb a bunch exe and site looks suspicious right away without actually looking into anything?
Minimal adb is very safe and is used instead of downloading entire Android SDK to just run adb. How irresponsible are you?
All the folks at XDA use minimal adb, recommend using it and here you are, saying it's "suspicious" without actually knowing what it is. Please look at the site again, test it if you don't believe me and then come to conclusions. That's the least you could do as moderator at this forum.
Thank you for understanding!

I am questioning exe files in general from unknown sources.... 

Why should someone need a cmd-here.exe file? That too seems suspicious. 

The reason people get malware and virus is that they blindly download apps because someone tells them too. 

As I mentioned above, if you want to post the command you recommend, and the names of tools you recommend, that is fine.  That is the responsible thing to do, instead of linking to exe files. 

yes the entire SDK is large, but until google publishes minimal adb, it is the only way for users to ensure they have downloaded from the source. So, pushing users to go to the most secure source of a program is more responsible then pointing them to a smaller dowload. 

I am not going to download EXE files and test them - that is the reason  I removed the link. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

53 Posts

03-22-2017

India

160 Signins

1825 Page Views

• Message 5 of 18

2017-06-02, 13:32 PM
I understand your concerns. That's why I've tested it myself. I also scanned all the files I downloaded and its clean.
The cmd-here.exe just opens the command prompt in the folder where adb is located. I hope everything's clear now :)
Regards,
sas96
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 6 of 18

2017-06-02, 13:38 PM

wrote:
I understand your concerns. That's why I've tested it myself. I also scanned all the files I downloaded and its clean.
The cmd-here.exe just opens the command prompt in the folder where adb is located. I hope everything's clear now :)

I understand what it does and why. 

But the accuracy of all AV scanners is an ongoing debate. The safe and responsible thing is to post directions and let others decide how and where to get the files they need. 

You are advocating a simple command - that i think is unnecessary, and I am not even sure if the forum managers would let it stay - that is still to be determined. 

So why not tell users "use adb and run this command"  - there really is no reason to drive them to another site or suggest they download anything.

It may be safe now, but since wordpress is hacked many times a day, what if those files get replaced with compromised versions? 

Options

53 Posts

03-22-2017

India

160 Signins

1825 Page Views

• Message 7 of 18

2017-06-02, 13:46 PM

Scan results :

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/42bee6aee0cb555ccbd776a4050f77b6d161b345921cabdbba80aa0350136aca/analysis/1496410971/

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/42bee6aee0cb555ccbd776a4050f77b6d161b345921cahttps://www.virustotal.com/en/url/5debc24f905cb84204aae13e1f4f9e6bb208907a402f592eb1696129897fe060/analysis/

Besides, the website which hosts the files scans the files itself. Check the following link for example -

https://androiddatahost.com/bnjkh

*Sigh*

Regards,
sas96
Options

53 Posts

03-22-2017

India

160 Signins

1825 Page Views

• Message 8 of 18

2017-06-02, 13:54 PM

Fine, I give up. You seem to keep misunderstanding​ everything I post. This is your forum, so you can do whatever you like.

As G5 plus user, I've tried my best to help others and tell the facts. I can't do anything if you're blind towards facts. Same could be said about all websites, even, this forum. What if it was hacked and all official answers were modified? No website is completely hack-proof. The fact that ALL the websites listed so far use https should account for something, shouldn't it? 

Regards,
sas96
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 9 of 18

2017-06-02, 14:03 PM

wrote:

Fine, I give up. You seem to keep misunderstanding​ everything I post. This is your forum, so you can do whatever you like.

As G5 plus user, I've tried my best to help others and tell the facts. I can't do anything if you're blind towards facts. Same could be said about all websites, even, this forum. What if it was hacked and all official answers were modified? No website is completely hack-proof. The fact that ALL the websites listed so far use https should account for something, shouldn't it? 

you seem to want to drive traffic to the site more then you want to simply provide a recommendation. 

Options

10 Posts

06-03-2017

United States of America

15 Signins

124 Page Views

• Views: 124
  • Message 10 of 18

2017-06-03, 1:57 AM

I have observed that having "location" turned on really drains battery fast over night with no phone usage. My previous little $35 ZTE phone could go about 55 hrs on a charge while bluetooth connected to my home Panasonic KX series phone system and with everything else turned off. It now appears the Moto G5 Plus might can do same ... hoping for enough quiet time to test it this weekend. With location turned on with the G5 ... somewhere around 18 to 20 hrs goes from 100% charge into the red zone.

Does it not make sense that a sleeping phone should sleep??? Why should location be continuously updating? I know updating is desired when Google Navigation is giving driving directions ... as those are voiced to my Motorola Boom earbud without the cell phone screen being activated. But if no application is demanding a location and the phone is sleeping ... then stop the updates and save the battery!! Some type of "find my phone" app should be able to turn on location and not require it be on at all times? Even if location is on ... if no application is calling for location info ... there is no need to update!! The "location on" should be a permission and not a battery drain downfall.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms