11-14-2018 08:12 AM - edited 11-14-2018 08:37 AM
After reading many reports of people here having issues, I was very hesitant to update from 7.0 to 8.1.
I updated the phone in the following order:
(1) Backup - seems to be automatic anyway via Google drive.
(2) Charge phone fully.
(3) Turn off phone - Remove SD card - Turn on phone.
(4) Factory Reset - after reboot, I do not input my credentials - 'skip' app restore.
(5) Install 8.1 update - after reboot, wait for the necessary Google services to install.
(6) Factory Reset - after reboot, input my credentials & restore apps.
(7) Turn off phone - Replace SD card - Turn on phone.
(8) Test phone functions.
(1) Blutooth - no problem playing a Youtube video to my blutooth speaker.
(2) Phone calls - no problem making, or receiving a phone call. Audio level seems fine. Speaker volume = ok.
(3) Wifi - no drops at my place, or a friend's house.
(4) Browsing via Chrome - no problems.
(5) Text message - using the default 'Messages' - no problem.
(6) Google Maps - no problem.
(7) Gmail - no problem receiving/sending/deleting emails.
(8) Flashlight - Moto action (karate chop x2) works fine.
(9) Battery - might be decreasing at a faster rate - not sure yet, will give it time to adjust.
One thing I may have messed up, is that my text messages were all gone after restoring my apps. Maybe I missed a tick box somewhere for Backup. I would have liked to keep them, but not the end of the world.
I"m not sure if it was necessary to remove the SD card prior to the update, but I wanted to eliminate any potential problems.
I will report any strange things but so far, so good.
11-14-2018 09:16 AM
Text messages are not generally backed up along with your Google app data backups... when you did factory reset you threw them away.
My process was much simpler: check for updates, say yes. So far no issues, phone seems snappier than before, and battery life seems better too.