Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
nscribner
Blue Screen Again
Views: 216
Message 1 of 5

G5+ Mystery feature after Oreo ??

I have a call blocking app "Calls Blacklist" installed on my G5+ since it allows wildcard blocking of spoofed calls with same

area code and exchange as mine.  I do not have it set as the default call handler, prefer the native Android one,  but the app has worked fine on Android 7. Now, with the Oreo upgrade, I have a permanent icon in the upper left of my display from the Android System that resolves to 

"Calls Blacklist is using battery"; 

The app info report from the system shows 0% battery usage and that the app is open by default.

The shape of the system icon is a waveform symbol inscribed in a tiny rectangle.  I have not been able to identify any way to prevent the display of this icon and still retain the functionality of the app.

How can I manage away this useless report ?

Porphyrius
802.11n
Views: 179
Message 2 of 5

Re: G5+ Mystery feature after Oreo ??

Is there a Notification section in the app?

Settings/Apps/<Insert app name>/Notifications.

nscribner
Blue Screen Again
Views: 128
Message 3 of 5

Porphyrius -- thanks for the help.  Below is a long summary of the settings related to my situation.

Tried to provide you all the information I can find.

OK.  I go to Settings ->Apps & Notifications ->"Calls Blacklist" ->App Info     yields the following list:

App Notifications

Permissions - Contacts, Phone, SMS

Storage - 11 MB, internal

Data Usage - 7kB today

Battery - 0% use since last full charge (and see below)

Open by default - No defaults Set

Phone app - No

Sms app - No

Google Store Details - App details

THEN,

App Notifications On/Off switch set to OFF

Battery property expands to:

Uninstall (the app) or Force Stop

and since full charge

While in active use - used for 17 hr 42 min

While in Background - Active for 0m

Battery usage - 0%

and then "Manage battery usage", which shows:

Background Activity on/off set to ON - App can run in the background when not in use

Battery optimization - optimizing battery use

AND YET MORE, Battery Optimization expands to a long, two part list 

of processes and apps which are "Not Optimized" or for which optimization is not available,

mostly system processes, and then all the other apps like Calendar or Camera, which are optimized.

The Calls Blacklist app can be either battery optimized or not.  I have it set to Optimize.

ALSO note that I have the battery saver feature set to ON -- likely causes many apps to be battery optimized.

Porphyrius
802.11n
Views: 104
Message 4 of 5

As I don't have Oreo is this a System app they have added e.g can it be disbled/removed?

If it can get rid of it and here's a free call blocker I've used before,ad-free,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vladlee.blacklistplus&hl=en_GB

Might even be the Same one Smiley Happy

nscribner
Blue Screen Again
Views: 53
Message 5 of 5

The app at the URL you posted is nominally different from the one I have installed, though the name "Blacklist" is similar and the 

author of the one you posted is the same author as the one I am using.  I suppose I could try replacing it.

Sorry you do not have Oreo, since my issue only appeared after Oreo installation.  My issue is a bit mysterious --

it seems to be unrelated to the particular app -- likely any app that runs silently in the background might produce the same effect.

Let's see if another user with Oreo reports a similar problem.

Top Kudoed Authors