cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marc999
Not applicable
Views: 763
Message 1 of 11

G5+ (U.S. Retail version 4/64 - Android 8.1.0): Google Assistant voice dictating messaging problem

G5+ (U.S. Retail version 4/64 - Android 8.1.0) - I am having issues with dictating a text message via Google Assistant. 

This is what I do:

(1) "Ok Google, send a text message to Bob Henderson"

Ok what's the message...

(2) "Hi Bob, send the year end files to Hank Millford.  Get Mary to sign them as well.  I am going to be running late, there is heavy traffic"

This is what Android Messages will show:

Hi bob send the year end files to hank millford get mary to sign them as well I am going to be running late there is heavy traffic 

------------------------------------------------

See the problem? Lol - the punctuation is completely missing and looks juvenile and sloppy.  

Is there a setting I'm missing?

----------------------------------------------

My girlfriend's last 2 phones (Samsung S7 & Google Pixel 3) have had perfect punctuation when she voice dictates using Android Messages.  So is this a software setting issue on my end?

thanks

Marc

Moto G5+ (4gb/64gb) (Retus) - Unlocked
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 636
Message 2 of 11

Re: G5+ (U.S. Retail version 4/64 - Android 8.1.0): Google Assistant voice dictating messaging probl

@Marc999 wrote:

G5+ (U.S. Retail version 4/64 - Android 8.1.0) - I am having issues with dictating a text message via Google Assistant. 

This is what I do:

(1) "Ok Google, send a text message to Bob Henderson"

Ok what's the message...

(2) "Hi Bob, send the year end files to Hank Millford.  Get Mary to sign them as well.  I am going to be running late, there is heavy traffic"

This is what Android Messages will show:

Hi bob send the year end files to hank millford get mary to sign them as well I am going to be running late there is heavy traffic 

------------------------------------------------

See the problem? Lol - the punctuation is completely missing and looks juvenile and sloppy.  

Is there a setting I'm missing?

----------------------------------------------

My girlfriend's last 2 phones (Samsung S7 & Google Pixel 3) have had perfect punctuation when she voice dictates using Android Messages.  So is this a software setting issue on my end?

thanks

Marc

Hi Marc999,

Thank you for writing to us, please be advised that we have tested this on 'G5 Plus' and multiple phones-- the punctuation is fine. We are not able to duplicate this. Our best suggestion would be to improve voice recognition to see if that improves. 

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Marc999
Not applicable
Views: 596
Message 3 of 11

Re: G5+ (U.S. Retail version 4/64 - Android 8.1.0): Google Assistant voice dictating messaging probl

Marc999
Not applicable
Views: 589
Message 4 of 11

Email from M via Google Assistant

please go to the store and pick up a loaf of bread a pound of butter and a quart of milk

=================================

There's an email that I just sent myself via Google Assistant.

Do you notice there is no capital letter, commas, nor period at the end of that sentence?  

Can you please tell me what steps I can try on my phone, to resolve this issue?  You mention "improve the voice recognition" and I'm not sure what you mean.   If you don't have issues with your G5+, nor other phones then clearly something is either wrong with a setting somewhere, or my phone itself.   

I have tried speaking slowly, quickly, louder and softer.  That doesn't seem to work.  I also speak very clearly in plain english, so that is not an issue. 

I would also like to hear from other users, from either Canada or United States.  I'm wondering if it might be a country specific Google Assistant problem.  

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 502
Message 5 of 11

Hi Marc999,

We tested this on US and India models of the Moto G5 Plus and we cannot duplicate the punctuation issue that you are having. Have you tried to pause while talking to make sure that the sentences are punctuated correctly? You may try to Retrain your voice model to see if that would help, you will need to go to Apps > Google > More (located at the bottom right corner of the screen > Settings > Voice > Voice Match > Retrain voice model. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Marc999
Not applicable
Views: 455
Message 6 of 11

Strangely enough - I followed your directions but when I'm on the 'Voice Match' screen, I see the following:

'Access with Voice Match' toggle appears off. I try to switch it on, click 'More', then 'I Agree' and it tells me I've already setup Voice Match on another device.
And yet, 'Access with Voice Match' toggle stays off.

Further down the same screen ('Voice Match'), I see 'Ok Google' Voice Model:
'Retrain Voice Model' - I click on that and nothing happens, no prompt, no screen change, nothing.
'Delete Voice Model' - also does nothing.

----------

Edit: I tried uninstalling the updates to the 'Google' app, rebooting phone, retrained voice model, then updated 'Google' app. via Play Store.  The problem returned - 'Access with Voice Match' toggle stays off and cannot be switched on. 

I tried deleting the cache & data to the 'Google' app - same result - 'Access with Voice Match' toggle remains off.  

I cannot delete the voice model, nor retrain it. 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 289
Message 7 of 11

@Marc999 wrote:

Strangely enough - I followed your directions but when I'm on the 'Voice Match' screen, I see the following:

'Access with Voice Match' toggle appears off. I try to switch it on, click 'More', then 'I Agree' and it tells me I've already setup Voice Match on another device.

'Retrain Voice Model' - I click on that and nothing happens, no prompt, no screen change, nothing.

----------

Edit: I tried uninstalling the updates to the 'Google' app, rebooting phone, retrained voice model, then updated 'Google' app. via Play Store.  The problem returned - 'Access with Voice Match' toggle stays off and cannot be switched on. 

I tried deleting the cache & data to the 'Google' app - same result - 'Access with Voice Match' toggle remains off.  

We were able to duplicate the scenario with the inability to enable Voice Match. We have reported it on our end and will update as we have more info. As for the missing punctuation, so far we've been unable to duplicate on our G5+. Can you try uninstalling the update to the Google App again and see if it performs correctly with dictating?

We can also try a few steps below; please test and let us know how it goes?

1. Uninstall any update on the Google app >> Reboot your device and try training again?
  2. Perform clear cache/data on the Google app and test again to see if that makes any difference? To do so: Long press the 'Google app' >> App Info >> Storage >> Manage space >> Clear Google search data > Reboot and observe.

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 281
Message 8 of 11

Hi Marc999,

Adding to the troubleshooting steps to try, kindly do the reset app preferences (Settings > System > Reset > Reset app preferences). Restart your phone for the changes to take effect. Let us know if there's an improvement. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Marc999
Not applicable
Views: 267
Message 9 of 11

@Agent_Swaraj wrote:

@Marc999 wrote:

----------

We were able to duplicate the scenario with the inability to enable Voice Match. We have reported it on our end and will update as we have more info. As for the missing punctuation, so far we've been unable to duplicate on our G5+. Can you try uninstalling the update to the Google App again and see if it performs correctly with dictating?

We can also try a few steps below; please test and let us know how it goes?

1. Uninstall any update on the Google app >> Reboot your device and try training again?
  2. Perform clear cache/data on the Google app and test again to see if that makes any difference? To do so: Long press the 'Google app' >> App Info >> Storage >> Manage space >> Clear Google search data > Reboot and observe.

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

Hi Swaraj, thanks for looking into this and taking time to provide nice clear instructions:

1.  I uninstalled the update on the Google app >> Rebooted device = Retrained the phone successfully.

BUT - here's the weird part.

I tried "Ok Google' to send a text message - no problem, punctuation was perfect including the first word capitalized, comma and a period at the end of the sentence.  Using Android Messages (built in texting program).

Yet, when I tried 'Ok Google' to send an email, it completely lacked punctuation.   No capital letters, or commas or period.

2. I cleared cache/data via the method you suggested, rebooted.  

The text messaging punctuation is perfect.  Same as your Step 1. 

The email messaging punctuation is non-existant.  The only word capitalized was a name in the email, that wasn't the first word.  Same as your Step 1. 

----------------------------------

I'm not sure I should bother updating the Google app at this point? 

Marc999
Not applicable
Views: 265
Message 10 of 11

@Agent_Rich wrote:

Hi Marc999,

Adding to the troubleshooting steps to try, kindly do the reset app preferences (Settings > System > Reset > Reset app preferences). Restart your phone for the changes to take effect. Let us know if there's an improvement. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Hi Rich, 

I tried resetting the app preferences as you suggested.  

Well, now there doesn't seem to be punctuation in either text messages, or emails that I tested via 'Ok Google'. 

Prior to resetting the app preferences, I was able to see punctuation within text messages, but not emails via 'Ok Google'.  

This is quite the challenge.

Top Kudoed Authors