Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Qmy
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,751
Message 1 of 16

G5 plus Hotspot not working

I had Moto G on Straight Talk and the mobile hotspot work great.  Upgraded to a G5plus a couple of months ago, stayed with Straight Talk and now the hot spot no longer functions.  Any suggestions?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 4,532
Message 2 of 16

Re: G5 plus Hotspot not working

@Qmy wrote:

I had Moto G on Straight Talk and the mobile hotspot work great.  Upgraded to a G5plus a couple of months ago, stayed with Straight Talk and now the hot spot no longer functions.  Any suggestions?

Hi Qmy, 

Has the hotspot worked before on your Moto G5 Plus? Have you contacted your Carrier to check about this issue? When did it stop working? Please let us know more. Thanks!

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

QMikeY
Paper Tape
Views: 4,514
Message 3 of 16

It has never worked on my G5 plus in the two months I have had it. I have not contacted my carrier yet. It always worked on my Moto G with the same carrier.
QMikeY
Paper Tape
Views: 4,514
Message 4 of 16

Teh hotspot on the G5 plus has not worked in the two months I have had hte phone.  I have not contacted the carrier yet.  It always wotrked on myMoto G that I used for several years.

freckles101
Paper Tape
Views: 4,328
Message 5 of 16

I have the exact same problem. My hotspot worked perfectly well on my previous phone. As soon as I changed to this one it no longer functions. I've had multi phones over the years with the exact same carrier and phone package. 

acejavelin
Token Ring
Views: 4,312
Message 6 of 16

Does not work or no longer functions is very vague... are you getting an error message when you turn it on? Does your device not see the WiFi network? Does it not connect to it? What security do you have set? What AP band do you have set? Have you tried a Network Settings Reset? 

More details are needed to determine the next course of action... 

QMikeY
Paper Tape
Views: 4,307
Message 7 of 16

The attahced image is the error message I get - every time.  I never got that error unitl I "upgraded" from my Moto G to the new MotoG5plus...   "Account not set up for tethering   To enable, got to att.com/mywireless or dial 611"  -- I have been told that tethering is not supposed ot work on Straight talk accounts but it has always worked in the past; I used it for years... So I really don't want to call Straight Talk about it.  (That's what the 611 number is all about.)   

QMikeY
Paper Tape
Views: 4,306
Message 8 of 16

I see the wifi and it works on the phone well. I just can't turn on tethering. I have reset the APN multiple times. I only get the error (see my other post in this thread) when I go to turn on the tethering.
acejavelin
Token Ring
Views: 4,287
Message 9 of 16

@QMikeY wrote:

The attahced image is the error message I get - every time.  I never got that error unitl I "upgraded" from my Moto G to the new MotoG5plus...   "Account not set up for tethering   To enable, got to att.com/mywireless or dial 611"  -- I have been told that tethering is not supposed ot work on Straight talk accounts but it has always worked in the past; I used it for years... So I really don't want to call Straight Talk about it.  (That's what the 611 number is all about.)   

Your account on Straight Talk is not provisioned for Tethering (most prepaid carriers, with some exceptions, do not allow tethering)... in many previous model phones, the provisioning flag was not checked by the device and hot spot could be enabled without an issue. However, most newer phones (such as the Moto G5 Plus) honor the provisioning flag from the carrier and will not enable tethering if the account is not provisioned for it.

QMikeY
Paper Tape
Views: 4,278
Message 10 of 16

I assumed it was a provisioning thing.  I was hoping there was a work around.  I have seen apps that are supposed ot do this but none have worked... 

Top Kudoed Authors