Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrgreenway
Blue Screen Again
Views: 514
Message 1 of 22

Help! Mystifying Wi-Fi Connection Issue

I've just purchased a new dashcam and am having a connection issue. The problem is that my phone won't connect to the internet when the dashcam wi-fi is accessed. The message reads 'Wi-Fi connected No Internet access'.

I thought the problem was with the dashcam and drove to the dealership this morning to see if they could solve it. They couldn't. After a half-hour of trying to establish a connection with my phone, and checking the dashcam to make sure it wasn't faulty, they phoned the manfacturer  for advice. The advice? Try establishing a connection on another phone. If it works, then the problem is with my (G5+) phone., not the dashcam. They tried another phone and it worked like a charm. Therefore, said the wise manufacturer, there must be some setting on your phone which is interferring with or preventing internet access to the dashcam's wi-fi. I have no idea what this setting could be. Can someone suggest what to do? I should mention that I have internet access through Google when I want to browse the web. It's only the dashcam wi-fi connection which seems not to be able to access the internet.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received. If I can't solve it the only thing I can think of is to buy a different model of phone, something I'm very reluctant to do.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 343
Message 2 of 22

Re: Help! Mystifying Wi-Fi Connection Issue

Hi mrgreenway,

Thanks for posting. I'd like to confirm, were you able to use the internet using WiFi if you're not connected to the dashcam? May I know what's the make and model of your dashcam? The recommended steps provided by the representative is correct, however, it would have been better to have your dashcam tested with another Moto G5 Plus (It's one better way to isolate the factors that cause an issue). I recommend testing this on safe mode. 

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.

Let me know if that helps. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

mrgreenway
Blue Screen Again
Views: 327
Message 3 of 22

The dashcam is a DHS-380. I did try it with another phone, the same model as mine, a G5+. It works, sporadically. Sometimes it connects, most times it doesnt. I phoned the maker and was told that an internet connect is not necessary as there is a direct wi-fi connection between the dashcam and the phone. However my phone doesn't seem to realise this and keeps informing me that I am not connected to the internet. I am driving back to the dashcam retailer tomorrow to try and figure out a solution. I'll post the outcome here. 

mrgreenway
Blue Screen Again
Views: 326
Message 4 of 22

Sorry, that should read a DSH-680.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 312
Message 5 of 22

@mrgreenway wrote:

Sorry, that should read a DSH-680.

I would kind of expect to see the no internet connection message as you're connecting to a WiFi network that doesn't have an internet connection. It would be like connecting to a home WiFI network with no Internet access. The question I have is even though the phone says not internet are you able to communicate with the Camera?

-Tom

mrgreenway
Blue Screen Again
Views: 302
Message 6 of 22

I am connected to the dashcam but cannot access the in-phone app that allows you to view the live footage or make adjustments to the settings. I know the dashcam is operating but my phone can't 'talk' to it or record footage for viewing or downloading purposes.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 296
Message 7 of 22

@mrgreenway wrote:

I am connected to the dashcam but cannot access the in-phone app that allows you to view the live footage or make adjustments to the settings. I know the dashcam is operating but my phone can't 'talk' to it or record footage for viewing or downloading purposes.

Ok, please do me a favor. Update your profile with the IMEI form your phone and also generate a bug report. 

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps, Developer options will be enabled.
3. Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable Usb debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Wi-Fi Verbose Logging > Toggle On
6. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
7. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
8. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply or via a private message.
9. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

-Tom

mrgreenway
Blue Screen Again
Views: 265
Message 8 of 22

Tom, I do appreciate your taking the time to address my problem.  Today I talked on the phone with the dashcam maker and they suggested going back to the retail store and maybe swapping the dashcam for another model. I'll do that tomorrow and I'll post the result here.  I'll hang fire on generating the bug report until after my discussion with the store.. 

mrgreenway
Blue Screen Again
Views: 246
Message 9 of 22

Ok. Update...

Went back to the dashcam store today. Their technician tried again to establish a working connection between my phone and the dashcam. Failed. Tried his phone: success. Tried a different model of the same dashcam. My phone, failed. His phone, working connection, no problem. He then tried a more expensive model, the DSH-680. Same result. His phone: connection. Mine: failed. As always, the dashcam attempts to connect, only to fail at the last step. Its beyond maddening why this should happen. Other phones can connect with the dashcam easily, but not my G+5. As a last resort, the store is order another, more expensive dashcam which they do not normally stock. If that fails, as it probably will, I don't know what will happen next. They can't offer a cash refund as the dashcam is securely attached to the windscreen via a 'permanent' sticky mount, that can only be used once. 

Tom, you gave me instructions for generating a bug report. Frankly, its too much trouble, for a neophyte like myself. Is there an easier way to address the issue? The problem is clearly with the phone and not the dashcams, all of which work fine with another phone. There has to be some setting or technical fault on my phone which prevents the working connection. Note: a connection is made, in each case, but that's it. I cannot open the downloaded dashcam app or access live streaming or adjust the camera settings (all done through the app). Finally, I should mention that I spent considerable time with an online Motoroloa tech support who was unable to solve the problem. He has promised to do more research and to get back to me if he finds a solution.. His final suggestion was to perform a cache wipe, which I did, to no avail. So there you have it. I have a dashcam that works, and a phone that works. They just won't work together. Any suggestions (other than that bug report) welcome. 

mrgreenway
Blue Screen Again
Views: 232
Message 10 of 22

I have to give credit to the on-line Motorola agent for persisting with this issue. Unline others of his ilk he followed up with not one but two sets of instructions for resolving the issue. The latest was to wipe the phone by resetting it to factory default. I did this and the result looked promising for the first two or three attempts at making a connection. But after this promising start the phone reverted to its old tricks, loudly informing me that there was no wi-fi connection (there was) and refusing to open the dashcam app. I'd say it worked on every 6th or 7th attempt. But that's not good enough. The only thing I can think of now is to buy a new and different phone. I'll be doing that tomorrow. 

Top Kudoed Authors