Highlighted
Willem-Gr
Punch Card
Views: 1,298
Message 1 of 12

How do I stop Oreo update announcments

Hello,

A question.

I have a Moto G5 that I am very happy with and that works perfectly, I have no complaints at all.

Now it is true that I have been reading on the official Lenovo forum for a while about all kinds of things concerning the Moto G5 and the Moto G5 + and Android 8.1 Oreo.

Since the Android update to version 8.1 Oreo I read car loads complaints about problems that one experiences after the update to Oreo.

To prevent that I also get those problems, I disabled the automatic system updates option under "Developer options".

I think my device is as great as it is now, I just want to leave it that way and go on with Android 7.0 for the time being and see what happens next.

However, I get the message several times a day that there is new system software available, but I do not want that at all, so I always click "No, maybe later", and then that message disappears for a while.

I just do not get well from those reports.

The real question is, are those notifications to be switched off somewhere so that if I want to do an update, I can arrange that myself?

Thanks..

D1g1tals
Punch Card
Views: 1,290
Message 2 of 12

Re: How do I stop Oreo update announcments

Wish I never updated to Oreo. Major failure by Motorola. GPS is vital for a phone and now I have very weak GPS signal. Also camera app crashes when open. Missed some great shots of my daughter at gymnastics. Motorola, you are negativity impacting our lives. I wonder how many Motorola employees use Motorola phones???

WoodenLeg
Serial Port
Views: 1,240
Message 3 of 12

My camera app was unstable with nougat, not any more. 24 hours with oreo now and so far haven't found a single bug. 

If you decide not to update because of what you read here, remember that the satisfied customers may not need to comment at all. Not here anyway.

Willem-Gr
Punch Card
Views: 1,230
Message 4 of 12

@WoodenLeg

If you decide not to update because of what you read here, remember that the satisfied customers may not need to comment at all. Not here anyway.

I realize that perfectly well Woodenleg, but I do not want to take the risk, my Moto G5 now works perfectly and I want to keep it that way.
What will happen in the future I will see later

Streamline
Serial Port
Views: 1,003
Message 5 of 12

The question was how to stop those annoying Oreo update announcements. I need to block them as well. I don't want to proceed to the update when I accidentally tap "Yes" due to an unexpected Oreo-update-popup-notification.
There are many reports saying Oreo update us a total mess. Thus I would like to stay with Nougat, as well as many others.

Zeke956
Fanfold Paper
Views: 969
Message 6 of 12

I too didn't want to do the oreo 8.1 update but wanted to kill the nag notifications. I looked into everything, all over the web, tweaked everything possibly related to notifications/updating on the phone. At first the nags seemed to diminish but then recently got more frequent.

I finally bit the bullet and updated. No issues afterward except gmail glitch, where I had no gmail notification on the lock screen (topic posted elsewhere in forum). That got corrected after second gmail uninstall/reinstall. Now everything is working well or so it seems, and I notice most everything.

Also yesterday updated wifes G5s+ and hers went smooth with no issues, all looks to be working well. And the nags are gone.

Not sure why I had the one issue and others have different issues. Maybe some peoples phones are in some sort of disarray prior to updating and that screws things up. idk really.

WoodenLeg
Serial Port
Views: 938
Message 7 of 12

Almost a month with Oreo now, and still very satisfied.

A small area on the top right corner of the screen is sometimes unsensitive to touch, but this was already with Nougat. Yes, the notifications and ringtone volumes may be lower than before but I'm sure it will be fixed. These are very minor issues compared with the benefits of Oreo. 

scumbuster
SCSI Port
Views: 908
Message 8 of 12

@Willem-Gr wrote:

@WoodenLeg

I realize that perfectly well Woodenleg, but I do not want to take the risk, my Moto G5 now works perfectly and I want to keep it that way.
What will happen in the future I will see later

Be prepared to get jumped on by the folks who ADVOCATE to constantly "upgrade" and deal with the issues that come with retrofitting a new OS into old hardware that was designed around an older OS.

I am with you 200% on this...my last phone was an $800 Samsung flagship phone and it was bricked by an OS "upgrade"...well know issue...yet Samsung hung its users out to dry.  Then comes with all the hassle trying to fix what breaks when you "upgrade".  My G5 Plus is the replacement for that phone, just gotten in March of 2018.  I DO NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH CONSTANT PHONE PROBLEMS SO SOON!!!!  My G5 Plus works great as-is...LEAVE IT BE!!!

Why cant an option to "check back with me in 6 months" option be added to the CONSTANT "upgrade" reminders?!?!

Azcommando
Fanfold Paper
Views: 730
Message 9 of 12

Software SHOULD allow the user to easily revert back to the previous version.  I hear it can be done, but takes technical skills I don't have.

Mark1a
Fanfold Paper
Views: 687
Message 10 of 12

I was able to ignore update notifications by going to Settings>Apps>Show system and then force stop "Motorola Update Services" (com.motorola.ccc.ota) and clearing data/cache . You have to redo it every time you reboot, but the full screen notifications went away.

Untitled-1.jpg

Top Kudoed Authors