Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

03-12-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

34 Signins

406 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 406
  • Message 1 of 6

Internal storage not visible on laptop

2020-06-17, 15:44 PM
Hi When I connect my G5 to my laptop (running Windows 10) I can see the phone but it only shows the SD card, it doesn't display any internal storage. I can open up the SD card files with no problem but the internal storage doesn't show. How can I see, and manage, the internal storage? Thanks
Options

Re:Internal storage not visible on laptop

2020-06-17, 18:27 PM

Do you have the Motorola USB drivers installed?

https://support.motorola.com/us/en/drivers

HTH :)

Options

367 Posts

10-12-2012

United States of America

901 Signins

22073 Page Views

• Views: 22073
  • Message 3 of 6

2020-06-17, 23:37 PM

The contents of SIMMs that were formated for use as internal storage cannot ever be viewed or exported to any other device.  Since that data is a portion of your phone's total block of memory, it is all securely encrypted by your phone.  Sounds like you really should have formatted that SIMM as PORTABLE storage.

Options

2020-06-18, 9:07 AM

Like Karl I'm not a fan of Adoptive storage but you can view and move files from the phone but it can take a little tweaking.

Here's what worked for me after a lot of searching.

With the SD card formatted as Internal.

Phone Settings> Apps and Info> Show all apps > 3 dots and Show System apps.

Scroll down to Eternal Media app and in it's Storage section Clear Data and Cache.

Now use the Back arrow(not the back button)

and carry on down the list to the Media  app and clear it's Storage Data and cache.

Now come out and restart the phone and leave the phone for a minute.

Now Go Phone settings> Storage and click on the SD card> 3 dots top right and Choose the Migrate option if available.

You should now be able to see the files on the phone and also in a PC so long as you have the previous Motorola USB drivers installed.

and choose this option on the phone,

The two pictures show my Moto G3 connected to this Windows 10 Laptop and the Movi Avi file I transferred to the phone from the PC which also played back from the phone via the PC and of course on the phone.

The reasons I don't like Adoptive memory are several.

1: SD cards were not designed for the Constant read/writes that real RAM can handle and will wear quicker than if used as,"Portable Storage".

2: It encourages people to keep more data on their phone than they should whereas a better way is to backup data to other more secure devices and the Cloud.

3: It's an ill thought out system with no redundancy for backups so if the SD card fails there's little or no chance of retrieving data.

Tips

There are better ways to move important stuff off phones these days like photos and keep the Internal Memory/Storage free on phones.

When I've been out on my Motorcycle and taken pictures and videos as soon as I get home I use my Home WiFi to save my Phone's data plan and,"Sync" Google Photos,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos&hl=en_GB

They are then safe here,

https://photos.google.com

I can then delete them off the phone if I wish using the app or my PC.

If you are out and about and need more storage space but no Internet you can buy and use an Android USB OTG adapter with an SD card and transfer stuff off the phone to it.

HTH :)

Options

12 Posts

03-12-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

34 Signins

406 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 406
  • Message 5 of 6

2020-06-18, 16:06 PM
Thanks for the amazing detailed reply I formatted the SD card as internal as I keep running out of phone memory because of apps that can only be installed on the phone i.e. don't allow you to install on a portable SD card I keep running out of phone memory so thought formatting the card as internal would give me more space. Trouble is I still have apps that won't move across so my 32GB SD card is only a quarter full but my phone memory had used 15/ 16 GB. i was trying to view the phone memory to clear out some old files but my laptop only shows the SD card, not the phone memory. I'm sure I could see the phone memory when I did this a couple of years ago but can't do it now?? Thanks
Options

2020-06-18, 18:39 PM

As you can see from my picture/s the phone will appear as an SD card in Windows and you should be able to access the files on it as I can.

Also look for a Folder called,"LOST.DIR" and if found open it and delete all the contents as they are redundant temp files and sometimes Android forgets to delete them.

You may find Google Files Manager better at seeing what cam be deleted,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.nbu.files&hl=en_GB

You can also upload your stuff to Cloud storage and then Factory Reset the phone and only install what you need.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms