cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jack6128
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,346
Message 1 of 8

Is it possible to downgrade back to Nougat?

For me, any advantages to be gained by installing Oreo are far outweighed by the disadvantages. Lenovo support is no help at all. They continue to advise people to try safe mode to solve problems for which there is mounting evidence that this solves nothing. I would dearly love to get my phone back to its original condition and I refuse to accept that it is undoable.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,333
Message 2 of 8

Re: Is it possible to downgrade back to Nougat?

@jack6128 wrote:

For me, any advantages to be gained by installing Oreo are far outweighed by the disadvantages. Lenovo support is no help at all. They continue to advise people to try safe mode to solve problems for which there is mounting evidence that this solves nothing. I would dearly love to get my phone back to its original condition and I refuse to accept that it is undoable.

There is no way to downgrade. 

If safe mode doesn't help, then reset and test before installing any apps. It is not unusual for major updates to sometimes cause problems. 

I have alwas been able to get my phone back to great working order by resetting and doing manual install of apps. I have not had to do it often, but when an upgrade creates problems, I have found a reset and manual setup faster then troubleshooting what often can't be fixed by anything other then a reset. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
jack6128
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,328
Message 3 of 8

Are you suggesting that I do a factory reset? That is completely unacceptable to me. I lose everything. This is the worse experience I have had with a phone.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,323
Message 4 of 8

@jack6128 wrote:

Are you suggesting that I do a factory reset? That is completely unacceptable to me. I lose everything. This is the worse experience I have had with a phone.

If you have problems and nothing else fixes it, then yes. 

I have had to do this with every OS and every model device. It happens on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, Apple and Blackberry. In place upgrades sometimes cause problems, and the only real solution is a clean install. 

In the phone world, a clean install is a reset, and then manual setup, not restoring from backup. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
jack6128
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,274
Message 5 of 8

Back when Windows 95 and 98 were current, I got used to reinstalling them on a regular basis, 95 more than 98. But it was possible to copy individual files to a separate disk first and paste them in where needed after the OS reinstall. This enabled me to rebuild browser profilesand other app settings and data. I don't want to risk losing certain data. I want to keep my text conversations, contacts and phone history, among other things. These are crucial to my work and other aspects of my life.

Is there a "Windows Explorer" for Android that I can use to guarantee that I will be able to replace certain files?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,239
Message 6 of 8

@jack6128 wrote:

Back when Windows 95 and 98 were current, I got used to reinstalling them on a regular basis, 95 more than 98. But it was possible to copy individual files to a separate disk first and paste them in where needed after the OS reinstall. This enabled me to rebuild browser profilesand other app settings and data. I don't want to risk losing certain data. I want to keep my text conversations, contacts and phone history, among other things. These are crucial to my work and other aspects of my life.

Is there a "Windows Explorer" for Android that I can use to guarantee that I will be able to replace certain files?

There is no one single tool that i know of. 

Contacts are backed up to gmail - as most people ahve that on. Phone history and sms need other tools. There are some in the play store that work on the device, and Motorola has the Lenovo Moto Smart assistant that is able to backup a lot of this to PC, but I have not used it. 

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds101291

Porphyrius
Broadband 3G
Views: 1,172
Message 7 of 8

@jack6128 wrote:

I don't want to risk losing certain data. I want to keep my text conversations, contacts and phone history, among other things. These are crucial to my work and other aspects of my life.

I agree with some of your sentiments.It should be possible to return to a previous O/S easily.I can do it but I'm well versed in,"Rooting" android phones and re-installing Stock or Custom roms.I do not advise this unless experienced in it and the phone is out-of-warranty and best not be the user's Main-Phone.

I learnt by using my old Android phones to understand the processes.

If the phone is operable I use a great app from the Playstore to backup all my contacts/text etc called,"Super Backup and Restore"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.idea.backup.smscontacts&hl=en_US

and save the backup files to my Internal SD card and then copy the SD card for double safety to my PC/Laptop.Also as all my stuff is synced to Google and Google drive after a Factory reset I can let all my stuff re-load if I choose or install clean.

Then it doesn't concern me if I want to do a Factory Reset which I do a couple of times a year anyway as a kind of 10,000 mile service for my phones.

HTH Smiley Happy

synthluz
What's DOS?
Views: 764
Message 8 of 8

Since upgrade to OreoI, I am having some serious problems with Moto G5S Plus. The phone now overheats (It did not behave like this before), Night Display stopped fully working, and I really relay on it to prevent me from migraines and insomnia also to save my eyes, so now, migraines and insomnia returned. With the last OS 7.1, with turbo charge, phone would charge 100% in less then 30 minutes and charge would last up to 3 days, one of the greatest advances of having  a Moto G5S Plus. Not, since upgrade, it takes ages to charge. I last night, I left the phone charging with Turbo charger for 6 hours and when I woke up, the phone wasn't yet fully charged.  Last but not least, since update to Oreo, battery is draining in 3 hours and I am now having to leave it nearly constantly charging. It's unacceptable. I contacted Motorola Support but received Zero support. After a long conversation, the lady from the support team how answered my call said to me that it is impossible to downgrade to 7.1. She told me that I would be contacted buy the Technical department in the next days days. 3 weeks past and I am still waiting. They never contacted me back.  I bought the Phone in John Lewis and it still covered by their 2 years warranty. on top of the obligatory 2 years warranty for mobiles in the EU. I took the phone to John Lewis last week and they told me to back up my phone and they would send it to Motorola for a repair, but they explained to me that it would take up to 4 weeks for me to receive my phone back. John Lewis have been a lot more supportive then Motorola themselves, as they said that after the 4 weeks, if Motorola could not fix my phone, they would sort something else, as a refund or replacement, but still, shame on Lenovo/Motorola. I will never buy one of their phones again and now i am having to buy a spare phone because I can't go on for nearly a month without one. 

Top Kudoed Authors