Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nikmaverick
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,870
Message 1 of 58

Issues after Oreo Update

After updating my Moto G5 Plus to Android Oreo 8.1, I am facing many issues with it. Some of them which I noticed so far are-

1. Fingerprint scanner stops working occasionally: It doesn't respond at all sometimes. I had to restart my phone every time to make it work again. 

2. Wi-Fi connectivity is not stable: It gets disconnected from Wi-Fi networks very often.

3. Turbo charging is not working: The fast charging is not fast. It takes longer than usual to charge my phone's battery after the update.

4. It's slow: It has become slow after the update. Very slow in responses. Even deleting a text message takes 6-7 seconds.

Do we have fix for these issues?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 3,629
Message 2 of 58

Re: Issues after Oreo Update

Hi Nikmaverick,

Sorry to learn that you have challenges with your device. Let me help you.

1. Fingerprint sensor: Can you test in safe mode and let me know if it behaves the same? Safe mode will start the device without third-party applications running. To boot into Safe mode, press the physical power key, touch and hold Power off, touch OK when Reboot to Safe mode appears.

2. Wifi issue: Please post here - https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/WiFi-drops-and-network-issue-after-oreo-upgrade/m-...

3. Slow charging: Try calibrating your battery. To calibrate the battery Hold the power button until the phone reboots > Plug into the supplied charger > Charge to 100% > Leave on the charger for at least an additional hour. See if it helps.

4. Slow: For a start, restart your device. To restart your phone or tablet, press the Power button for about 30 seconds, until your device restarts. Rebooting your device gives it a fresh start. Sometimes, that's all you need to fix an issue. You could also check the storage. You could see issues if your device's internal storage is full or almost full. To free up space that your device needs to work properly, you can remove unnecessary files and clear cached data.

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

mobily
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,125
Message 3 of 58

I'm not updating to Oreo after hearing this! How do I stop the annoying pop up telling me to upgrade?

ELK4LIB3Y
SCSI Port
Views: 2,992
Message 4 of 58

i got the same problem with the Fingerprint delay when i try to LOCK

APamp
Paper Tape
Views: 2,180
Message 5 of 58

I feel your pain Nikmaverick!  I've had nothing but problems since the updgrades to my MotoG5 Plus  (which I tried to put off as long as possible to avoid this outcome), but with the exception of being slow, my issues are different.

1.  Calls don't come in. The phone doesn't ring or vibrate, and the message log shows no record of the call, though eventually a voicemail will appear.  I'm a freelance consultant and missed calls from two new clients this week (w/ the phone was right in front of me) - this is deadly for me. 

2. Today's new problem:  no SMS connection so I can't send texts. 

3.  I think the Do Not Disturb feature may be playing into this but I can't tell.  The home screen indicates that this feature is off, but when I hit the drop-down menu to see the settings it shows as on.  As such there's no way for me to really know if it's off or on. 

3. Often when I put the phone down (gently, with intent - not dropping it), it randomly calls people.  While friends and family are sympathetic again, as a consultant, this jeopardizes my professionalism.

4. The phone won't stay off. I've rebooted whenever a new issue arises with the hope that it will self-correct (it never has) and it automatically comes back on. 

I've looked up solutions for all these things but either can't find them, or the steps provided don't apply to my situation (i.e., it says to go to a category under "settings" but my phone doesn't have it). I also went to Motrola's Product Support page on their website but customer service reps are on Austrailian time which doesn't overlap too well with Philadlphia time. 

This phone is less than a year old. Never again.

#Motorola #Moto #UpdateSux  #JustSayNo

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,863
Message 6 of 58

@APamp wrote:

I feel your pain Nikmaverick!  I've had nothing but problems since the updgrades to my MotoG5 Plus  (which I tried to put off as long as possible to avoid this outcome), but with the exception of being slow, my issues are different.

1.  Calls don't come in. The phone doesn't ring or vibrate, and the message log shows no record of the call, though eventually a voicemail will appear.  I'm a freelance consultant and missed calls from two new clients this week (w/ the phone was right in front of me) - this is deadly for me. 

2. Today's new problem:  no SMS connection so I can't send texts. 

3.  I think the Do Not Disturb feature may be playing into this but I can't tell.  The home screen indicates that this feature is off, but when I hit the drop-down menu to see the settings it shows as on.  As such there's no way for me to really know if it's off or on. 

3. Often when I put the phone down (gently, with intent - not dropping it), it randomly calls people.  While friends and family are sympathetic again, as a consultant, this jeopardizes my professionalism.

4. The phone won't stay off. I've rebooted whenever a new issue arises with the hope that it will self-correct (it never has) and it automatically comes back on. 

I've looked up solutions for all these things but either can't find them, or the steps provided don't apply to my situation (i.e., it says to go to a category under "settings" but my phone doesn't have it). I also went to Motrola's Product Support page on their website but customer service reps are on Austrailian time which doesn't overlap too well with Philadlphia time. 

This phone is less than a year old. Never again.

#Motorola #Moto #UpdateSux  #JustSayNo

Hi APamp ,

Sorry to hear about this, have you tried any troubleshooting steps? If we know what you have tried then we know where we can begin to try to help. Also, can you test in safe mode and let me know if it behaves the same? Safe mode will start the device without third-party applications running. To boot into Safe mode, press the physical power key, touch and hold Power off, touch OK when Reboot to Safe mode appears. Restart the device to get out of safe mode.

Thanks

Sandip

Moto Support

bdutta74
Paper Tape
Views: 1,713
Message 7 of 58

Can confirm that I've seen many of these problems on my phone after the Oreo update as well. Mine is an Indian market Moto G5plus, with Airtel and Vodafone SIM cards. Initially the DND setting wrecked havoc as it is pretty non-intuitive IMHO. Also, I do notice more retries needed with fingerprint scanner to unlock phone, and yes sometimes it simply refuses to work. Also, I've noticed the WiFi problems as well, although I've not noticed major battery issues as some others have. Until I read the message, I didn't make much of the issues, but now I can see that many are seeing the issues.
mobily
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,694
Message 8 of 58

Is there any way of stopping the popup message telling me to upgrade toOreo?

genacgenac
Punch Card
Views: 1,659
Message 9 of 58

Have any customers provided feedback suggesting these "fixes" actually fix anything? Has the network reset advice been shown to do anything but waste more of our time? PLEASE issue a press statement on this topic and a clear description of the problem and solutions.
genacgenac
Punch Card
Views: 1,658
Message 10 of 58

Ha ha good one.
Top Kudoed Authors