Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
genacgenac
Punch Card
Views: 524
Message 11 of 46

Re: Issues after Oreo Update

Has any advice issues by Motorola been shown to work for actual users?  Not many comments indicate such.  Please issue official responses, Motoruina.

APamp
Paper Tape
Views: 442
Message 12 of 46

Thank you for your response. 

I found this site and tried all the options. The final recommendation, "Reset network settings", corrected the issue...until it didn't. My partner called and texted me; I received his text about 20 mins after he sent it and never received the call. Further, I'm still receiving voice mails for calls that don't come through even though I have the phone in front of me, waiting for the call. I have no idea if/how many calls I'm missing unless the person leaves a message or contacts me again. This makes me look very unprofessional and unprepared to deal with existing and potential clients.  My phone is less than a year old so getting a new one isn't an option (if that would even have an impact). 

I'm not sure putting the phone is safe mode will help diagnose the issue because there doesn't seem a sure way to test the problem.

Andrea

nstilwell
Paper Tape
Views: 428
Message 13 of 46

Having similar issues with my g5 plus on t-mobile.

Calls going straight to voicemail, phone doesn't ring, no entries in call history.

genacgenac
Punch Card
Views: 422
Message 14 of 46

They are spinning their wheels...

[09:11:15 AM]Hi, my name is Mark. How may I help you?<br />
[09:11:28 AM]GG: Hi Mark<br />
[09:11:50 AM]GG: Problems with Oreo update are well-documented. What is Moto doing about it?<br />
[09:12:00 AM]GG: Moto G5+<br />
[09:12:16 AM]Mark: Hi there!<br />
[09:12:21 AM]Mark: What seems the issue after the update?<br />
[09:13:26 AM]GG: The problem are well-documented. Moto support reps have responded to myriad issues from a vast portion of Moto G5+ users. Problems include Wifi and battery problems. You should be describing problems to me, not vice versa.<br />
[09:14:06 AM]Mark: Let me check with the history.<br />
[09:14:08 AM]Mark: Hold on.<br />
[09:15:04 AM]Mark: Thanks for waiting. I am not seeing any history here. Do you have any case number that the previous reps provided to you?<br />
[09:15:52 AM]GG: No. Your customer service chat portal is filled with complaints, and Motorola/Lenovo support has weighed in. There is no way Moto is oblivious to these issues.<br />
[09:16:41 AM]GG: Motorola distributed and Android update that wrecks the Moto G5+ -- customers need workarounds at least, at ideally FIXES.<br />
[09:16:54 AM]GG: Let me paste some notes from your support portal<br />
[09:17:16 AM]Mark: Okay. Yes, please.<br />
[09:17:30 AM]GG: 1. Fingerprint sensor: Can you test in safe mode and let me know if it behaves the same? Safe mode will start the device without third-party applications running. To boot into Safe mode, press the physical power key, touch and hold Power off, touch OK when Reboot to Safe mode appears.<br /><br />2. Wifi issue: Please post here - <a href="https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/WiFi-drops-and-network-issue-after-oreo-upgrade/m"; target="_blank">https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/WiFi-drops-and-network-issue-after-oreo-upgrade/m<... /><br />3. Slow charging: Try calibrating your battery. To calibrate the battery Hold the power button until the phone reboots > Plug into the supplied charger > Charge to 100% > Leave on the charger for at least an additional hour. See if it helps.<br /><br />4. Slow: For a start, restart your device. To restart your phone or tablet, press the Power button for about 30 seconds, until your device restarts. Rebooting your device gives it a fresh start. Sometimes, that's all you need to fix an issue. You could also check the storage. You could see issues if your device's internal storage is full or almost full. To free up space that your device needs to work properly, you can remove unnecessary files and clear cached data.<br /><br /> <br /><br />>>>>.<br />try removing all the saved wifi credentials and rebooted your device > tested? Does that make any difference?<br /> <br />If not, would request you to perform 'network reset' in settings > network & Internet > three dots > reset > reboot your device and observe again. Let us know if this helps.<br /> <br />Also, please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone? Is it okay if we look into your apps to determine what is causing the issue? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.<br /><br />If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. <a href="https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943"; target="_blank">https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943</a><br /><br />>>>>>><br />putting 4g to 3g while accessing wifi.<br /><br />>>>>>>>>.<br />test in safe mode and let me know if it behaves the same? Safe mode will start the device without third-party applications running. To boot into Safe mode, press the physical power key, touch and hold Power off, touch OK when Reboot to Safe mode appears. Restart the device to get out of safe mode.<br /><br />>>><br />disable 5 Ghz wifi<br />
[09:18:49 AM]GG: WiFi drops intermittently. Workarounds include turning off 4G cell and disabling 5 Ghz on wifi router -- this makes ZERO sense but if it works, Moto must let customer base know instead of behaving as tho nothing is wrong.<br />
[09:19:23 AM]GG: Are there release notes for Oreo that list steps your customers might overlook?<br />
[09:19:46 AM]Mark: Reading. Hold on.<br />
[09:20:03 AM]GG: This Oreo upgrade is a year overdue. Moto finally releases it, and it breaks the Moto G5+.<br />
[09:23:30 AM]Mark: I see.<br />
[09:23:48 AM]Mark: This might the post from the Forum site correct?<br />
[09:25:41 AM]GG: yep<br />
[09:25:56 AM]GG: Moto Support has weighed in.<br />
[09:27:36 AM]Mark: Actually our Engineering Team response on that site. What we can actually we can do here right, check your device do some troubleshooting on your device.<br />
[09:28:55 AM]GG: I will not install Oreo until these problems are fixed. Are the issues replicable in your labs?<br />
[09:29:49 AM]GG: After 2 months, Motorola has issued no statements on problems caused by the upgrade, workarounds nor fixes. Please confirm.<br />
[09:30:24 AM]GG: They are treating this as one-off support issues and not a problem endemic to Oreo running on Moto G5+. Please confirm.<br />
[09:31:30 AM]Mark: We don't have an update and information as of now. Most of the cases and recent update actually came from our forum site.<br />
[09:31:47 AM]GG: Can I delete the Oreo download so I don't accidentally install it?<br />
[09:32:12 AM]GG: "Actually"? What difference does it make from where the problem reports originate?<br />
[09:33:25 AM]Mark: I apologize, the software update can't be go back to the previous version.<br />
[09:34:03 AM]GG: That's not what I'm asking.<br />
[09:34:43 AM]GG: I did not install the upgrade. I downloaded the software. How do I delete it, as I would on an iPhone, so I don't accidentally install it<br />
[09:34:55 AM]Mark: What I am trying to say, it can't be deleted.<br />
[09:35:11 AM]GG: That's ridiculous. So I'm stuck with a loaded gun.<br />
[09:35:47 AM]GG: Motorola really has to get its head out of its ass and issue a statement and recommendations to its customers.<br />
[09:36:19 AM]GG: Please forward this to executive management. I can be reached at xxx.<br />
[09:36:23 AM]Mark: As we have here. We can trouble shoot the device. Would you like to proceed for the troubleshooting steps?<br />
[09:36:48 AM]Mark: I can connect you over with our Level 2, in case you want.<br />
[09:37:07 AM]GG: You're suggesting I install the upgrade, then fix this issues it will bring?<br />
[09:37:24 AM]GG: That is advice I will ignore.<br />
[09:37:49 AM]GG: Does Level 2 support have a richer understanding of the issues and what Mot is doing about it?<br />
[09:38:44 AM]Mark: They have the advance tools that we can't access.<br />
[09:39:00 AM]Mark: Here in our end.<br />
[09:39:06 AM]Mark: My end. I mean.<br />
[09:40:01 AM]GG: Advance tools to do what?<br />
[09:40:43 AM]Mark: I am sorry, I am not the right person to discuss that in details.<br />
[09:40:51 AM]Mark: Would you like to connect with them?<br />
[09:41:09 AM]GG: sure<br />
[09:41:14 AM]GG: Thanks Mark<br />
[09:41:27 AM]GG: Pass my comments along, this treatment of Moto<br />
[09:41:31 AM]GG: ...<br />
[09:41:38 AM]Mark: You are most. For the proper endorsement.<br />
[09:41:41 AM]GG: ... Moto<br />
[09:41:48 AM]Mark: I will give you a call after this chat.<br />
[09:41:53 AM]GG: ... Moto's customer base is absurd<br />
[09:42:02 AM]Mark: Can connect to them directly.<br />
[09:42:11 AM]GG: ok<br />
[09:42:15 AM]Mark: I understood how you feel.<br />
[09:42:24 AM]Mark: Please do wait for my call.<br />
[09:42:39 AM]Mark: This is the number xxx, correct?<br />
[09:42:55 AM]GG: yes<br />
[09:43:06 AM]Mark: Okay, then.<br />
[09:43:13 AM]Mark: Talk to you later.<br />
[09:43:26 AM]Mark: Have a great day and Take care!<br />
[09:43:35 AM]GG: Thank you!<br />
[09:43:37 AM]GG: bye bye<br />
[09:43:50 AM]'GG' disconnected ('Concluded by Agent').<br />

Popaseed
What's DOS?
Views: 367
Message 15 of 46

Bad sound quality shortly after Oreo Update

I updated my phone on Thursday night and on Monday morning on Tuesday morning I noticed that ANY sound coming from my phone whether plugged into auxiliary or through Bluetooth sound slightly distorted and muffled. It's hard to explain exactly what it sounds like but to me it's like my music lost its depth or like your ears have just popped. I have tried everything especially checking to see if an equalizer was turned on, I guarantee it's not my headset since my other devices don't have this problem. I've restarted my phone at least 5 times after this update because of multiple issues, so don't tell me to restart again.

genacgenac
Punch Card
Views: 323
Message 16 of 46

Re: Bad sound quality shortly after Oreo Update

@Popaseed wrote:

I updated my phone on Thursday night and on Monday morning on Tuesday morning I noticed that ANY sound coming from my phone whether plugged into auxiliary or through Bluetooth sound slightly distorted and muffled. It's hard to explain exactly what it sounds like but to me it's like my music lost its depth or like your ears have just popped. I have tried everything especially checking to see if an equalizer was turned on, I guarantee it's not my headset since my other devices don't have this problem. I've restarted my phone at least 5 times after this update because of multiple issues, so don't tell me to restart again.

I'm glad I checked this forum before upgrading.  Will avoid it until I'm ready to buy another phone.  Lenovo Moto nevermore.

Lynise
Fanfold Paper
Views: 310
Message 17 of 46

I've got an even better one for you. My G5 Plus did the new update Sunday morning. Monday morning, I woke up and wondered what time it was. Grabbed my phone and burned the @#$% out of my hand. Immediately unplugged the cable from the phone. Cable and charging block were cold. Phone wouldn't turn on. Just a pale, orange light on the back. Got up and ran to a different room to check the time and it was 6. I am supposed to be to work at 6. Went back to look at the phone closer. Had to fold up a T-shirt to use as a pot holder to take it into a room with more light. The screen was popped out at the long edges and you could see where the battery was swollen through the metal case and my phone case. I'm pretty sure my phone case was the only thing that kept it from getting worse. Now that it has cooled down, I have tried to charge it and turn it on with no luck. The best I get is a flashing white light in the ear piece. So where you guys are charging slow, apparently it just didn't bother to tell mine to stop. I have had this phone for 18 months. I really like the phone, but this obviously has me a little pissed off.

scumbuster
SCSI Port
Views: 270
Message 18 of 46

Does anyone know how to stop the relentless "Upgrade now?" prompts?????

Popaseed
What's DOS?
Views: 254
Message 19 of 46

Re: Bad sound quality shortly after Oreo Update

I'm not sure if this is the problem, but I think it has something to do with it.

yayakc
Paper Tape
Views: 249
Message 20 of 46

I know this question may not belong here, but not sure where else it might go.  I am avoiding the Oreo update like the plaque because of my experience with the preceding security update/patch (I believe it is referred to as the June, 2018 security update which I received in late Sept.).   To fix the problems, techs and others on this forum advised  a factory reset (which I resisted), but one motorola tech advised to just give it a week to settle in.  That's what I did, and after 5 days my phone was working just like before the security update.  But, bottom line, I didn't have a phone for 5 days and I don't want that again.  

It is my understanding that the Oreo update also includes the security update... reference https://www.notebookcheck.net/Moto-G5-and-Moto-G5-Plus-get-updated-to-Android-8-1-Oreo.350676.0.html... Many of the Oreo update issues people are describing, particularly rapid battery draining, problems with other apps, etc, "sound" very similar to what I experienced with the security update.  So, I know this is a very generalized question but, but I'm wondering could it be that the users experiencing the problems are those that are getting the security update with the Oreo update and its the security software causing the problems?  

My question, assuming the reference above is correct, does anyone know if a user already has  installed the security update, will they just receive the Oreo Operating System update only or will they get Oreo with the security update?  

Sick of responding "No, not now" every 15 minutes to Oreo update request......  

Top Kudoed Authors