Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KrisAmigo
Paper Tape
Views: 271
Message 31 of 46

Re: Issues after Oreo Update

DON’T DO IT- my battery life was great before the upgrade, now I can't get through a day without running out of juice and I am not even a heavy user. That battery drops at an ALARMING rate once you get down below 20% - you can actually see it go down a few percent every few minutes. 

VOICEMAIL and ANY VOICEMAIL app from Verizon stopped working and is no longer even available in the play store (apparently Verizon doesn't have a system app for Voicemail that is compatible with this phone on Oreo ) so the ONLY option is to call in to get voicemail or find a 3rd party app.  

The upgrade also reset ALL my notifications for apps and now I have to go through one-by-one and correct these and I can't even get proper notification for Facebook messaging anymore.

I am having the same issues with starting up the phone ( fingerprint doesn't work anymore to start up , but it still works on apps...go figure) and I am not getting all my calls and texts are delays, which is a pretty big HASSLE since the update also did away with any verizon voicemail system apps since motorola didn't bother to make sure customers of one of the BIGGEST cell phone carriers in the nation would have a voicemail app with their moto phones after the FORCED upgrade.  

IT is a TOTAL Mess and I even called  Motorola before doing the upgrade and was told it would be, "NO Problem."  I will not make that mistake again!

W T F Moto????  Why on earth is this so messed-up and why is there no REAL fix from your end?

genacgenac
Punch Card
Views: 265
Message 32 of 46

@KrisAmigo wrote:

DON’T DO IT- my battery life was great before the upgrade, now I can't get through a day without running out of juice and I am not even a heavy user. That battery drops at an ALARMING rate once you get down below 20% - you can actually see it go down a few percent every few minutes. 

VOICEMAIL and ANY VOICEMAIL app from Verizon stopped working and is no longer even available in the play store (apparently Verizon doesn't have a system app for Voicemail that is compatible with this phone on Oreo ) so the ONLY option is to call in to get voicemail or find a 3rd party app.  

The upgrade also reset ALL my notifications for apps and now I have to go through one-by-one and correct these and I can't even get proper notification for Facebook messaging anymore.

I am having the same issues with starting up the phone ( fingerprint doesn't work anymore to start up , but it still works on apps...go figure) and I am not getting all my calls and texts are delays, which is a pretty big HASSLE since the update also did away with any verizon voicemail system apps since motorola didn't bother to make sure customers of one of the BIGGEST cell phone carriers in the nation would have a voicemail app with their moto phones after the FORCED upgrade.  

IT is a TOTAL Mess and I even called  Motorola before doing the upgrade and was told it would be, "NO Problem."  I will not make that mistake again!

W T F Moto????  Why on earth is this so messed-up and why is there no REAL fix from your end?

Fix?  I'd settle for a fart in our general direction.  

heelstriker
Paper Tape
Views: 258
Message 33 of 46

Add my son to the list of having this battery issue only after updating. Moto had better come up with a solution faster than my battery drains .

scumbuster
SCSI Port
Views: 204
Message 34 of 46

I spent a considerable amount of time on the phone yesterday with a Moto level 3 tech supervisor.

After we got through all of his recitation of the boilerplate he has to say (inclduing the part about how technically Moto and Android own the rights to change the phone you and I bought at ANY time and if it bricks, well, that is just the lumps that come with the contract you and I "sign" when we spend our hard earned money on one of these devices), he basically said he understood what I was saying but that "it is what it is".   We discussed options and he confirmed that if my phone were to brick, and if my phone were under warranty, I would eventually get a refurbished (someone else's problem phone) in exchange that they would set up and test.  It would have the remainder of any orginal warranty of my original phone.

He also confirmed that eventually the OS "upgrade" would happen automatically -- which is exactly what happened to my Samsung $800+ flagship phone which bricked it out of warranty.

So it made sense to try it now rather than wait evgen though I am in no way shape or form interested in my phone having the "latest and greatest" OS.

Did the update yesterday.  It said it would take 10 minutes....more like 30......and thats with clearing my cache and uninstalling most of my apps and then restarting prior to starting the UPDATE.

So far, things work ok. It didnt brick so far.  It did feel hot while doing the "upgrade".

Nothing new that makes any difference to me so far to have wanted to go thru the risk, other than now I wont see all the notifications to "upgrade to oreo".

Battery life, though, so far seems worse....charged it to 100% after the update and was at less than 50% by a few hours later , albeit that with some email and text usage along with Pandora/bluetooth.

100% charge  this morning when I left my house and was already down to 90%.   an hour later after my commute....All I was doing was using Pandora to play music via bluetooth because I was driving -- no texts, no emails etc..   Before the "upgrade" I would be at 97% after my commute. Dropped down to 89% after sitting idle for a good 45 minutes.  And now to 87% since that (again, just sitting, dark), which was a half hour ago. So I guess time will tell, hopefully it will stablize.

Going to start installing my required apps again and see what happens.

genacgenac
Punch Card
Views: 200
Message 35 of 46

@scumbuster wrote:

I spent a considerable amount of time on the phone yesterday with a Moto level 3 tech supervisor.

After we got through all of his recitation of the boilerplate he has to say (inclduing the part about how technically Moto and Android own the rights to change the phone you and I bought at ANY time and if it bricks, well, that is just the lumps that come with the contract you and I "sign" when we spend our hard earned money on one of these devices), he basically said he understood what I was saying but that "it is what it is".   We discussed options and he confirmed that if my phone were to brick, and if my phone were under warranty, I would eventually get a refurbished (someone else's problem phone) in exchange that they would set up and test.  It would have the remainder of any orginal warranty of my original phone.

He also confirmed that eventually the OS "upgrade" would happen automatically -- which is exactly what happened to my Samsung $800+ flagship phone which bricked it out of warranty.

So it made sense to try it now rather than wait evgen though I am in no way shape or form interested in my phone having the "latest and greatest" OS.

Did the update yesterday.  It said it would take 10 minutes....more like 30......and thats with clearing my cache and uninstalling most of my apps and then restarting prior to starting the UPDATE.

So far, things work ok. It didnt brick so far.  It did feel hot while doing the "upgrade".

Nothing new that makes any difference to me so far to have wanted to go thru the risk, other than now I wont see all the notifications to "upgrade to oreo".

Battery life, though, so far seems worse....charged it to 100% after the update and was at less than 50% by a few hours later , albeit that with some email and text usage along with Pandora/bluetooth.

100% charge  this morning when I left my house and was already down to 90%.   an hour later after my commute....All I was doing was using Pandora to play music via bluetooth because I was driving -- no texts, no emails etc..   Before the "upgrade" I would be at 97% after my commute. Dropped down to 89% after sitting idle for a good 45 minutes.  And now to 87% since that (again, just sitting, dark), which was a half hour ago. So I guess time will tell, hopefully it will stablize.

Going to start installing my required apps again and see what happens.

'...the contract you and I "sign"' is laughably indefensible as it's a significant, non-negotiated point -- imagine if the back of your ticket entitled the Mets to your first-born male child.  That said, US representative government last year allowed corporations to deprive you the right to sue collectively, and to settle all disputes via binding arbitration, terms set by the corporation.  

I say we join in collective arbitration, despite that "when arbitration is forced, shrouded in secrecy, and for-profit, and has no means for judicial review, it's an abusive practice." -- sorry, I lost the reference.  Still it's the only game in town.  Who's with me? 

scumbuster
SCSI Port
Views: 197
Message 36 of 46

You mean like a class action suit?  Cause thats the only thing that would go anywhere at all....and THOSE only make money for attorneys and rarely help the customers.

How about a online petition.....at least it might get some attention......thing is, a petition against Moto or ANDROID for for forcing these updates?  Other phone manufacturers like samsung do exactly the same thing.....Seems like the impetus is from Google Android.....the phone companies cant say so cause of the relationship....

genacgenac
Punch Card
Views: 174
Message 37 of 46

Class action not an option.  Read the fine print of the contract you "agreed to".  In the US you're entitled strictly to binding arbitration.

scumbuster
SCSI Port
Views: 164
Message 38 of 46

So, now, less than 24 hrs later after this big, great , shiny new OREO update was installed, I am not getting ANOTHER "update" notification, this time purportedly for Oct security updates.

This sucks.

scumbuster
SCSI Port
Views: 160
Message 39 of 46

I closed that notification and went and looked under settings....accoording to the phone, I have security updates through sept......clicked "check for updates" and it comes back as "you are up to date".

But thats the "security" setting.

Going to the Motorola settuings, there IS an update.   OPSS28.85-17-2

W. T. H.

WHy wasnt all this done at once ??  SUCH A HUGE RISK AND WASTE OF MY TIME!!!!

PK54
Paper Tape
Views: 135
Message 40 of 46

Best I can tell, there really are no "realistic" legal options.  As one person noted, the Motorola legal notice prohibits any class type actions even under their Binding Arbitration requirement.  It's the part in all Caps.  Looking at the Google Legal terms, under warranties and disclaimers, ... They provide their services (including open source software) "as is" without any committments of quality or servicability.   Misleading advertising claims would probably lead to "read the fine print".  And, there's no clear accountibility for the phone failures.  MotoCEO email, told me it wasn't their fault/problem.  

I tried local media and they didn't seem very excited about pursuring a story because I can't find "others" locally to join in.  Most everybody I know either just bought an android phone that already had Oreo or their phone is to old and isn't getting it.  

Given that Android has  80%+ of the worldwide OS market, all the dissatisfied "customers" on Reddit, Samsung's blog, this blog, etc don't even round up to .01% I'm guessing.  It would probably cost them more to try to make us satisfied customers than it's worth to them.  We loose and Motorola/Google win.  

If they force me into accepting the Oreo update, and my phone becomes functionally unusable (like it did for over a week with the security update), I'm going to go buy a refurbed iPhone.  If that happens enough, maybe it will make a dent in the US market share which is much closer to Apples.  

Top Kudoed Authors