Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sonic1967
SCSI Port
Views: 1,441
Message 1 of 5

LTE bands

I always picked my phones with two features in mind: world wide support of data and camera performance.

All this while keeping the cost reasonable.

That's what lead me to Moto G phones (or X in previous generation)

What's bothering me is that the Moto G phones sold in US don't have the LTE band 20 that is used in rural areas of EU while they have the bands 3 and 7 used in the urban deployments.

Why this? Do I really need to get an Moto Z or an iPhone for this feature?

Oh, wait, I can't get a Moto Z either, because the global one lacks the LTE 13 (Verizon), only the US version has that but is missing all other EU bands.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,408
Message 2 of 5

Re: LTE bands

@Sonic1967 wrote:

I always picked my phones with two features in mind: world wide support of data and camera performance.

All this while keeping the cost reasonable.

That's what lead me to Moto G phones (or X in previous generation)

What's bothering me is that the Moto G phones sold in US don't have the LTE band 20 that is used in rural areas of EU while they have the bands 3 and 7 used in the urban deployments.

Why this? Do I really need to get an Moto Z or an iPhone for this feature?

Oh, wait, I can't get a Moto Z either, because the global one lacks the LTE 13 (Verizon), only the US version has that but is missing all other EU bands.

I don't know of any phone that will get LTE everwhere in the world. I am currently in EU (France and Greece) with the USA Moto Z GSM - I get LTE fine. 

No one here can telly you why Moto doesn't have every single band as this is a user to user forum, but i travel in EU for a number of years and it has never been a problem for me. There are places in USA I don't get LTE, and sometimes outside of USA I don't - but compared to my coworkers who usually are running around looking for wifi as their carrier plan is to expensive to use any roaming data, my Moto phones work great. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Sonic1967
SCSI Port
Views: 1,384
Message 3 of 5

Like I said, iPhone SE, 6s and newer have all the needed bands for both US and EU (and more). Moto has this segregated market for no reason, it's just one extra band after all.

As for the G4 Plus, mine "works" too, but in rural areas you will get the H+ mode instead of LTE (or 4G how is labeled there).

In France Bouygues, Orange and SFR use band LTE 20 too... In Greece, Cosmote uses LTE B20. Same situation everywhere, Spain, Italy, Romania...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks_in_Europe

Highlighted
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,372
Message 4 of 5

@Sonic1967 wrote:

Like I said, iPhone SE, 6s and newer have all the needed bands for both US and EU (and more). Moto has this segregated market for no reason, it's just one extra band after all.

As for the G4 Plus, mine "works" too, but in rural areas you will get the H+ mode instead of LTE (or 4G how is labeled there).

In France Bouygues, Orange and SFR use band LTE 20 too... In Greece, Cosmote uses LTE B20. Same situation everywhere, Spain, Italy, Romania...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks_in_Europe

Likely there is a cost - the more bands enabled the more Qualcomm charges probably. You are comparing a $200 phone to phones that start at almost double the price. 

I just came back from Athens last week - my Z had LTE on Cosmote GR, but I am using Tmobile, so my speeds were close to Edge. 

No one here can answer the "why" question. But in my opinion, it was cost coupled with use cases for most customers. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Sonic1967
SCSI Port
Views: 1,337
Message 5 of 5

https://www.zteusa.com/axon-7

It's more expensive due to the AMOLED screen and 820 CPU. But see the modem (LTE bands) on that thing...

Top Kudoed Authors