Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
appier
SCSI Port
Views: 943
Message 191 of 331

Re: Low Volume During Calls via ear peace and speaker

Actually, from what I have read, NPN25.137-35 did increase the volume some. According to an earlier post in a different thread, that update saw a number of changes under the hood, "One of those small changes was to /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml, to give a moderate boost to speaker and handset volume by changing all '84' numbers in that file to '92'."

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/NPNS25-137-35-5-OTA-update-just-received-in-US/m-p...

I have not yet taken the time to download a ROM, open it, then look and see if NPN25.137-83 retains that volume increase to 92. If I had not purchased the extended service contract, I would root the phone and edit the file to increase the handset volume to 100 leaving the speaker volume back at 82 to make sure I do not damage to the speaker. But, alas, that would technically void the warranty... 

bennor3814
Token Ring
Views: 932
Message 192 of 331

@appier wrote:

Actually, from what I have read, NPN25.137-35 did increase the volume some. According to an earlier post in a different thread, that update saw a number of changes under the hood, "One of those small changes was to /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml, to give a moderate boost to speaker and handset volume by changing all '84' numbers in that file to '92'."

The impression I get is that Lenovo/Moto did not increase the volume from 84 to 92 in the "/system/etc/mixer_paths.xml" file in NPN25.137-35. Rather it was the user who did that. Note the end of the sentence in the paragraph preceding the one where the change is mentioned: "... then put back my modifications after accepting the OTA."

Further the sentence after the changed 84 to 92 sentence: "This would be an easy fix for Moto to do themselves, though I guess it might give more distortion at the upper level when listening to an already-loud audio source." That implies that Moto/Lenovo hasn't made the volume fix change.

safeman1
Paper Tape
Views: 923
Message 193 of 331

So I have the NPN S25.137-35-5 - the volume in a bluetooth earbud from Plantronics is decent actually. Actually it has been decent from the start. I got the phone from Amazon with their advertising promotion ads on it. No biggy for me. But perhaps they asked for special software upgrades? I didn't really notice the change in volume when the NPN software was installed in the last few weeks. But as you say you don't know the actual limit on the decibels unless you look under the hood. I can't do that becuae it would void the warranty. If you are worried about distortion at maximum DB limit of 100 couldn't the customer simply back off the volume until it was acceptable? So why can't they just change the limit and be done with the complaints?

MikeZ4
Fanfold Paper
Views: 918
Message 194 of 331

I have the NPN 25.137-83 OTA update installed and trust me their is no increase in volume.I still have to go to speaker phone to hear a call.Maybe some day they will figure this out,MikeZ
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 911
Message 195 of 331

@Moto99 wrote:

@AlphaDog wrote:

@motog5mistake wrote:

Since Lenovo owns Motorola, you can expect little to no support for this, or any of their other products. I've worked with their "support" as a tech.

Where were you employed by motorola?

if you worked in an independent repair center, then you know independent centers dont get software updates any faster then anyone else. 

And if your past experience “working with motorola support” was so bad, why buy their phones?

Motorola was far better before purchased by Lenovo. All of the current Moto G5 Plus users are regretting their decision...

He is sharing his bad experience since takeover by Lenovo. What is wrong in that? We as  users have all the right to criticize the stupid Company who is not able to resolve the basic bug in the phone off more volume. I think the talented developers in Motorola has already left this stupid Company.. Now users like us are dependent on the stupid Chinese developers..

I don't you have any right to get offensive with any user who is complaining about non existence support by Lenovo.

The user said he worked with motorola support as a tech. That could mislead some users so i was trying to get clarification. 

And how do know development is done in china? And why insult the Chinese? I know that much development is still done in the USA and india. I am not sure if any code is actually written in China.

Do you want to insult the developers in other countries too? Or are you just biased against China? 

No one is stopping anyone from sharing bad experiences. You can rant against moto all you want.  I can ask questions.  

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
appier
SCSI Port
Views: 909
Message 196 of 331

If a user could make such a simple edit to fix the issue, why can't Motorola spare $50-$100 of developer time, push out the bug fix with the next update and be done with the issue? They have spent more money on their employees in this forum explaining to us why they can't set dates and how they are looking into it than it would to just fix the problem in the first place. 

Or, has Lenovo/Motorola moved enough responsibilities from employees who have been laid off in one unnamed country and given those responsibilities to staff in another unnamed country to the extent that they currently just don't have staff capable or available to fix the issue? I have had experience with IBM/Lenovo products as well as Motorola, and neither company was like this in the past. It makes me wonder, "What has happened?"

appier
SCSI Port
Views: 907
Message 197 of 331

Most of us, including me, have never mentioned China. That would be counter productive. I am not trying to get anyone to lose face. I would just like it if someone were to fix the device.

motog5mistake
Punch Card
Views: 906
Message 198 of 331

Sure, you can ask questions and I was going to edit that post to be more clear, but you beat me to it in asking your questions; and in a somewhat condescending tone, imo that's how you come off. I specifically mentioned Lenovo, but believe me, a recent experience with Motorola support didn't disappoint, it was as equally a ridiculous experience as previous ones with Lenovo. The probelm was listed as solved when they didn't do anything, but respond and say it was solved. It wasn't solved, just like this isn't solved. I'm not sorry that I may sound somewhat angry that I have phone that I can't reasonalbly use like a regular phone and I should have been more clear in that post. It shouldn't matter why I bought the phone, as a customer I expect it to work. I do wonder if you work for Lenovo, because my experience here and seeing your replies, is very typical of my overall experience with Lenovo support, past and present.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 896
Message 199 of 331

@motog5mistake wrote:

Sure, you can ask questions and I was going to edit that post to be more clear, but you beat me to it in asking your questions; and in a somewhat condescending tone, imo that's how you come off. I specifically mentioned Lenovo, but believe me, a recent experience with Motorola support didn't disappoint, it was as equally a ridiculous experience as previous ones with Lenovo. The probelm was listed as solved when they didn't do anything, but respond and say it was solved. It wasn't solved, just like this isn't solved. I'm not sorry that I may sound somewhat angry that I have phone that I can't reasonalbly use like a regular phone and I should have been more clear in that post. It shouldn't matter why I bought the phone, as a customer I expect it to work. I do wonder if you work for Lenovo, because my experience here and seeing your replies, is very typical of my overall experience with Lenovo support, past and present.

AlphaDog does not work for Motorola. We are volunteers here. We spend our own free time trying to help others and mod the communities. We get no special information about software either. If we had information, we'd love to pass it on too. 

On the subject of calling out specific people or countries. It's not needed and is disrespectful. 

We do understand your frustrations.

We've all been there at some point as well. Your allowed to voice your frustrations here, which can't be said for all manufacturers. But we do have the house rules to follow always. 

Now I want say an opinion of my own.

Since Motorola was bought from Google and purchased by Lenovo things of course have changed. This is normal. When you take over another company, people leave and new people come in. This takes time to settle down. Once it does things do get better. I was not happy when Lenovo bought Motorola. But as time has gone by I see many improvements. They do listen and do care about their customers. I know my words will not fix your issues, but understand they are listening and do work on your issues. They just don't always make statements. Any official statements come from much higher up than the forum management. 

motog5mistake
Punch Card
Views: 889
Message 200 of 331

AlphaDog wrote:

And if your past experience “working with motorola support” was so bad, why buy their phones?

"On the subject of calling out specific people or countries. It's not needed and is disrespectful. "
Thank You. 

Top Kudoed Authors