Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G5 / Moto G5 Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

02-18-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 1 of 19

MOTO G5 plush - Flashlight turn off and on by itself

2018-02-18, 23:38 PM

I noticed that the chop gesture to turn on and off the flashlight started acting up a few days ago.  Also the 'turn on camera' flip action didn't seem to work as well as it used to work.  

Today the flashlight started to turn off and on with no motion.  I had the phone sitting on the table and the flashlight just kept turning off and on and off and on and off and...  well you get the point.

I did turn off the flashlight gesture and now at least its not turning on on its own.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Solved! See the solution
Options

53 Posts

03-22-2017

India

160 Signins

1825 Page Views

• Views: 1825
  • Message 2 of 19

Re: MOTO G5 plush - Flashlight turn off and on by itself

2018-02-19, 4:20 AM
Try clearing the app data in Settings > Apps > Moto.
Your Moto actions settings will be reset and you can set them as you like in the Moto app.
Regards,
sas96
Options

5996 Posts

12-04-2017

India

1170 Signins

77328 Page Views

• Views: 77328
  • Message 3 of 19

2018-02-19, 8:33 AM

wrote:

I noticed that the chop gesture to turn on and off the flashlight started acting up a few days ago.  Also the 'turn on camera' flip action didn't seem to work as well as it used to work.  

Today the flashlight started to turn off and on with no motion.  I had the phone sitting on the table and the flashlight just kept turning off and on and off and on and off and...  well you get the point.

I did turn off the flashlight gesture and now at least its not turning on on its own.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Have you recently installed any third-party app? Can you test in Safe Mode to see if this is an app issue? To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up. Observe in safe mode, if the issue is resolved in safe mode, then it is more like the third-party app causing the glitch. You can perform clear cache and remove data > restart your device. This should help.

Thanks,

-Swaraj

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Options

10 Posts

02-18-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

86 Page Views

• Message 4 of 19

2018-02-19, 15:13 PM

Thank you.

I put the phone in safe mode but it looks like the issue did not stop.  

After in safe mode I turned back on the Moto Action for flashlight and it started turning off and on again on its own.

The phone thinks its moving...

Options

182 Posts

01-02-2018

Ireland

331 Signins

3872 Page Views

• Views: 3872
  • Message 5 of 19

2018-02-19, 15:18 PM

If you haven't already done so, try doing as sas96 suggests, clearing the app data - he gives directions to it above

Options

10 Posts

02-18-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

86 Page Views

• Message 6 of 19

2018-02-19, 15:59 PM

Thank you.

I cleared the app data and its still happening.

I restarted the phone so its not in safe mode now.

One note - I have a dimming widget on the phone that won't turn on.  When I try to turn it on it gives the following error: "Shake detected. Night Owl stopped"  (the phone is sitting on the table and not moving at all)

It seems like the phone started getting glichy a couple of weeks ago and now its really really bad.  If I have the Moto action for the flaghlight turned on the phone just constantly toggles between light on and light off.

I also noticed that it asked me to recalibrate the compass (I think) when I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago.  Don't know if that related at all...

Options

182 Posts

01-02-2018

Ireland

331 Signins

3872 Page Views

• Message 7 of 19

2018-02-19, 16:17 PM

I'm just guessing here, but you could try uninstalling the dimming widget - that's not likely to be the problem since safemode didn't help, but it does no harm to try.

You mention a recalibration you were asked to do - I don't think it would have been the compass as (unfortunately) the G5 doesn't have one, but it could be your motion sensors / accelerometers which you were asked to recallibrate (when my phones have requested this they ask for a wierd figure of 8 movement). If they are out of whack I could understand how this might lead to the kind of issue you're having.

On the other hand, a factory reset should reset your sensors to their factory settings  

There are a few apps on Google  Play such as Senor Multitool which claim to test your sensors.

There are also a bunch of apps on Play to recallibrate accelerometers

Have a play with these maybe?

If you play any games using accelerometers, or if you have screen rotation on, does your phone behave as it should?

It could always be possible that you might (God forbid) have to get by without Moto actions...

Options

10 Posts

02-18-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

86 Page Views

• Message 8 of 19

2018-02-19, 16:40 PM

ok

i tried uninstalling the dimming app and then restarted my phone in safe mode.

no difference.

then i (restarted again and installed an accelleration meter and the X value is jumping all over the place.

so i installed an accelleration calibration app and its unable to calibrate.  the app wants the red dot to be in the square in the middle and its not even close.  its bouncing around the screen.

blllrg.

i really liked the moto actions. 

kinda bummed.

i guess i will just have to live without.

i don't really play too many games so i guess that i'll get by.

Options

10 Posts

02-18-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

86 Page Views

• Message 9 of 19

2018-02-19, 16:43 PM

oh yeah.

forgot about the factory reset.

guess i will try that next.

Options

182 Posts

01-02-2018

Ireland

331 Signins

3872 Page Views

• Message 10 of 19

2018-02-19, 16:45 PM

A wonky accelerometer - I genuinely don't know if there's any software fix for that (if a reset doesn't fix it).

I'd guess your phone is probably still within warranty - if I were you I'd be sending it back for a replacement 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms